I'm the prospective Chief Technology Officer (hence name) of a new company and we require a website (obviously).
I will be acting as Webmaster/Host..and doing all the Tech stuff...
We are located in Europe.
Our site will have photos, videos (maybe downloadable), a forum (100+ users), news bulletins, stats and may be linked up to a database.
We will also be doing some e-commerce.
I've looked at a few hosts...there's millions out there...I'm lost...
Someone advised Dreamhost...but they're a little "layed back" for me...and they don't have phone support.
One thing I must insist on is 24/7/365 phone and email support.
Ideally, I would like a host in Europe, so I contacted fasthosts.com , they don't seem bad....but haven't heard back from them yet.
Can anyone advise anybody?
Here's a list of our requirements:
- Provide 24/7/365 support by email and phone, resolving problems in under 6 hours.
- At least 5Gb of webspace (Is that too much?)
- Very generous bandwidth/month (How much do I need?)
- Can support SSL, Paypal payments and so on
- Can host Password protected pages in a "Private Area"
- Automatic backups (ideally daily or "on demand")
- 100% uptime or as can be expected
- A backup server
- Be reliable
- Have a strong presence in the market
- Not have any problems with heavy traffic
- Would support downloads of videos or files
- Provide software for forums and a guest book
- Have a control panel that was easy to use.
- At least 500 email accounts, unlimited size, unlimited attachments, IMAP
- No restictions such as hits per hour/day
- Load balancing (it appears to be important, is it?)
Can anyone advise me a reliable host with good support?
Our max price: $35/month.
I'm not looking for a startup, I really need a well established host, ideally in Europe, but any other English speaking country will do...
Your requirements will fit the budget just fine. I would recommend you to make a list of 4-5 companies and do a search on the forum for positive/negative reviews. Then you could choose a few reliable hosts and test their customer service by asking a few pre-sale questions.
UPHosted: Reliable Linux Web Hosting
24x7 Customer Support
99,9% Uptime Guaranteed
There are alot of choices out there, I've heard of rochen.com, a British Based Hosting Company, They are pretty good, but I am unsure if they meet your requirements. I also know of acouple UK Hosts on this Forum, I'm sure they will flock and post for you.
OK, you live in Europe; so do I. Yet I have found that my site hosted at Micfo has a very fast response time.
They do offer 24/7 phone support also. Not sure if they fulfill all other wishes you have, but anyway they have been OK for me.
For that amount of money and with that disk-space requirement you can choose between shared-hosting and VPS. I would also consider a reseller-package.
Check for example EuroVPS, their servers are located in NL. There are many US based, and also German based I would recommend to you, but if you are not familiar with German language or do not wish USA-based webhosting, EuroVPS could be one of the possible solutions for you.
The linux business plan at www.fasthosts.co.uk looks like it might fit your needs....and if you need to go dedicated, depending on your usage levels, there is always www.rackspace.co.uk or www.datapipe.co.uk . They have quite a good reputation, although they might be a bit expensive.