low volume name registration

Hi,

I have a small web development/design company and would like to do hosting as well, more as a way to make it easier for my clients than a profit stream. All is well and good except I'm not sure how to go about registering domain names for my clients. I don't have any interest in making money off registering them, just charge them what it costs, my main goal is that from start to finish they don't have to deal with anyhing and I take care of it all for them. I expect this will be rather low volume since many clients already have their domain names.

Most of the domain seller accounts require a good bit of money and aren't worth it to me. Do I have any other options? Can I legally just go to a registrar and fill in the info for my client?

If you are reselling and offering the service for your clients your best bet is to get a reseller account. Enom and directi are two of the most popular you will see mentioned here.
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by dmaven
    If you are reselling and offering the service for your clients your best bet is to get a reseller account. Enom and directi are two of the most popular you will see mentioned here.
    Well yeah, but I'm wondering if there are other choices. I mean, if I have to plunk down $100 in order to register maybe 5 domains a year, that doesn't make much financial sense to me... Granted that's probably what I'll do if I have to, but if there were a way I could just pay per domain to register a domain, even if it costs more, it would be worth it to me.

How about 75$?

(directi.com)

The $100 is worth it. If you're doing 5 domains/yr, in two years you'll have already used up the $100 dollars, and in this case, you have complete control over your domains. It's also extremely fast when you're an eNom reseller--I can log in and register a domain in literally twenty seconds. Try doing that anywhere else.

You can get an $8.95 free eNom account from one of several members here at WHT. Then, to fund the account, you could send in a CHECK or MONEY ORDER directly to eNom for ANY AMOUNT (i.e. - $8.95 x 5 = $44.75).

It is my understanding that the $100.00 is the minimum limit to be able to use your Credit Card or PayPal to fund the account (and they charge a 3% fee for using CC / PP, where they charge NO fee for checks / money orders).

The advantage is branding. It would look much more professional for your clients to see "Registration Services provided by: YOURNAME.com" in the whois records. Plus, an eNom reseller account is one of the fastest ways I know of for registering domains... no fiddling around with credit cards, etc. It would also give you access to the ClubDrop service at substantially lower prices than the retail as posted on ClubDrop.com.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Re: low volume name registration

Originally posted by debtman7
    Hi,

I have a small web development/design company and would like to do hosting as well, more as a way to make it easier for my clients than a profit stream. All is well and good except I'm not sure how to go about registering domain names for my clients. I don't have any interest in making money off registering them, just charge them what it costs, my main goal is that from start to finish they don't have to deal with anyhing and I take care of it all for them. I expect this will be rather low volume since many clients already have their domain names.

Most of the domain seller accounts require a good bit of money and aren't worth it to me. Do I have any other options? Can I legally just go to a registrar and fill in the info for my client?
    Your customer should register the domain name themselves... A). They see what is involved. B). Personal information the registrar asks is more easily answered by the customer. C). Everything is in their name charged to their credit card etc. D). If anything happens to you they don't have to worry about changing hosts etc as they have that ability to change DNS with the registrar they chose.

I'd go with Godaddy for registration and opt for the privacy option so personal information does not show up in the whois record.

After they have the name registered and they own it (so to speak) you can provide hosting with a reseller hosting account (check out h-sphere for reliable hosting and email).