Thread: java

java

hello, i'm learning java to build a web application i've just finished a hello world application and i was wondering the following things:
    A. Where can i find some really great tutorials on JAVA basics
    B. How do i add eventlisteners to an object and what objects does it have?

well dudes? also C. how do i set intervals?

I highly suggest java alamanac...
    they have great code examples..

http://javaalmanac.com/

What you could do is get a book on JAVA if you don't already have one. It'll not only teach you the basics but I'm sure it would also answer questions about your eventlisteners. I did JAVA for a while last year but I've forgotten a great deal about it.

I would recommend a book, or just search online for java tutorial there are alot of them out there

Straevaras its realy hard
    public class helloworld {
    public helloworld() {
    System.out.printIn("stuff");
    }
    it was posted like that in a forum and everyone said it worked but net beans just kept giving me errors from scripts from multiple tutorial sites

Pick up a book on Java, but (this will sound strange) stay away from the Sun Press ones if it's your first go at it. Simply stated, they pack so much OO gunk into their introduction to Java books that they make it difficult to pick up. Have you worked in OO before? If not, you'll want something that covers that as well. The java.sun.com site has a lot of documentation, but it's not a very easy read (not overly technical, just packed full of OO methodology. If you're new to it, it can be overwhelming). I learned java using Lewis and Lofton's "Java Software Solutions", (latest) ISBN #0321322037. Once I knew the language inside and out, I bought supporting books on Tomcat, et al.

C? The K&R Book, "The C Programming Language" ISBN #0131103628. Second edition covers ANSI C. From the horse's mouth. Hands down the best technical book I own.

If you're running a smaller site, stay away from Java. You're better off going with Perl/PHP/ASP. You could have a good site up and running using one of those technologies in the time it would take you to learn how to setup a good Java based site. To get good at Java website development, you should learn a series of other technologies: Struts, AXIS, Tomcat, Servlets, JDBC, JNDI, Hibernate, ANT, Tiles, Faces, JAX, and so on.

Now, if you're on a TEAM of people that's planning on deploying a large site, with individual areas of ownership (i.e. a DB team, a business logic team, a UI team...) the Java method would be a good choice. Otherwise, you'll find yourself creating interfaces to your own factories which create your own objects that relay you on to your own views via your own configurations. Too much of your time taken.

i have got java in a nutshell by oreilly but, the examples put into netbeans compiler from java returns hundreds of errors even when copied EXACT* from the book

This sounds like a problem with your netbeans setup. You need to run the programs from simple command line tools first.

One of the better books to learn Java is "Java How To Program" series of books from Deitel & Deitel. Their latest edition (6th) covers Java 2 SE (aka 5.0). Its also the book used in most colleges for their CS Java classes. I always liked their presentation format.

Avoid reference-style books, as most of them seem to be nothing more than a printed copy of the java docs with comments sprinkled in. If you do not know object oriented programming, you will need to learn that first, as you will not get very far without it in Java.

Also, stay away from the certification related books. They teach you how to pass a test. The D&D book is quite good as well, I forgot about that one.

you are missing a closing scope...

Straevaras its realy hard
    public helloworld() {
    System.out.printIn("stuff");
    }

just make it
    public static void helloworld() {
    System.out.println("stuff");
    }
    }
    its not printIN its printLN [print new line]

how can c++ make a socket server

Originally posted by variablefusion
    how can c++ make a socket server
    Countless people have learned socket programming from:

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/

If you're any good at C++, you can create some classes/etc to OO sockets. That guide is plain C.