can't able to view the processes owned by other user

Hi,

When I run the command ps -awux from a user's bash shell(not root), it's
    listing the processes under the particular user only. I am not able to view the processes owned by other users including root. I could see others processes as well in another server with the same OS. I noticed that this issue exists only in the servers which has 2.4.*-grsec. I could fix the issue by changing the value of a sysctl directive in FreeBSD. But the same problem still exists in RH. Can anyone tell me how can we fix it?

this is not issue, this is just security settings which prefered by sysadmin. without his goodwill you can't do nothing.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

I am the sysadmin and I would like to know how to disable it. I tried, but could not do it.
    Akhthar Parvez K
    http://SysAdminGUIDE.COM
    System Management Tips

-UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity - Dennie Richie

which version of RH you use? In RH ES 3.0 for example and if you not use any security patch like grsec this is not possible by default. May be you use RH 4.0 ? If i correct it is by default use SELinux and this may be a direction.

The same issue exists in some of the servers regardless of RH version. The servers with OS such as Red Hat Linux release 9, CentOS 3.5 etc. Can anyone tell me how can we fix this issue.
    Akhthar Parvez K
    System Management Tips

-UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity - Dennie Richie

Then you're using grsec on all of your servers. If you're the "sysadmin" and didn't know that, shame on you. Login as root and you'll be able to see all processes

By default, ps aux shows all processes to all users. If you can't, then the only realistic explaination is that you're using grsec, which modifies how the system handles things. Might take a look @ the grsec homepage for how to disable this (www.grsecurity.org)
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Hi linux-tech,

I respect your words. I know that grsec caused this. But the problem is, this issue does not exist in all grsec servers. I know that I can view all processes if I login as root. But here I am configuring nagios to check services such as cron for which it needs to view other users processes also since it's running under the user nagios.

It seems that one of the following caused the issue.

CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_PROC=y
    CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_PROC_USER=y
    CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_PROC_ADD=y

Is there any way to change the value without recompiling kernel(by changing the value of any sysctl directive)
    Akhthar Parvez K
    System Management Tips

You need to recompile your kernel again to get this works with nagios.
    knowledge is Power , Spread it.
    www.e-tutankhamun.com
    [email protected]
    AIM:AhmedFouad0 , yahooID:xor2004

I was going to recompile it. But wanted to know if I can avoid it since this issue exists in more than 15 servers.
    Akhthar Parvez K
    System Management Tips

if i correct remember, you can't change this settings without recompiling kernel. grsec has a some util (gradm may be? ) but it's not allow do this.
    but, may be you may set by gradm special rules for nagios user. i think this is possible, but i also must say that this will take more time and more works, because you will need learn grsec on your system and also correct then generated rules by hands.

Rah Rah linux.

In FreeBSD you can enable and disable users seeing processes not owned by them by changing this value with sysctl

kern.ps_showallprocs=0

0 = you cannot see other stuff
    1 = you can.

no recompile needed. No reboot. You can force this setting at boot time by adding that line to your /etc/sysctl.conf

simple is better.
    Ken

CROWHOST hosting+colocation services | 877-CROWHOST | support at crowhost.com
    Independent remote-hands serving all Chicago data centers

CROWHOST, I believe that is for 4.x, on 5.x it is security.bsd.see_other_uids

Hi CROWHOST,

You are right. I had the same issue in FreeBSD and was able fix it without recompiling the kernel(I had mentioned in my first post). But was searching to find any fix for the same issue in RedHat Linux. I will recompile the kernel to fix this issue.

Thanks to all who have given their suggessions..
    Akhthar Parvez K
    System Management Tips