27 61.36%
  • Allow Beer

25 56.82%
  • Allow Liquor

27 61.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Online Alcohol Sales Ban

Many states have banned non face-to-face alchol purchase methods, because they feel this makes it easy for minors to obtain alcohol. Whether it be wine, beer, or hard liquor; these states have banned shipment of it all.

I think these laws are bogus. It causes an inconvience for consumers, and it harms the sales of both in-state, and out-of-state venders. The argument of the people supporting these bans is that age verification isn't always enforced. Well guess what, Party Store Clerks don't always ask for ID either. What happens when those people slip up? They are charged. If the delivery man doesn't ask for age verification, they should be charged as well. If the people who shipped out the package didn't mark the box as an alcoholic item, They should be charged too. This system seems to work just fine in states who don't ban online orders.

What 14 year old do you know with a credit card of his own? Surely, His dad goes over his credit card billing statement every month. Won't the kid be found out when the dad finds an order for a fifth of absolut vodka on his statement?

Some states have reversed their laws when it comes to Wine. Wine is very low in alcohol content, and let's be honest - Who drinks wine to get drunk?

I say lift all of these laws, and only hold the people who are responsible for letting alcohol get into the hands of minors be charged.

States currently banning online alcohol sales are: Alabama, North Carolina, Arkansas, New Jersey, Arizona, New York, Connecticut, Ohio, District of Columbia, Oklahoma, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Florida, Puerto Rico, Georgia, Rhode Island, Hawaii, South Carolina, Indiana, South Dakota, Kansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, Massachusets, Utah, Maryland, Virginia, Michigan, and Vermont.

you know its sad really that i'm 20 and yet i'm able to consume achohol, but the catch to it is my mom would have to buy it. I feel the law is pretty ignorant and mistreats the younger adults. I know everybody has said this before and i'll say it again...

If your old enough to buy cigarettes, vote, work, war, college, credit cards, marriage and drive a car its likely your ready to consume achohol.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    you know its sad really that i'm 20 and yet i'm able to consume achohol, but the catch to it is my mom would have to buy it. I feel the law is pretty ignorant and mistreats the younger adults. I know everybody has said this before and i'll say it again...

If your old enough to buy cigarettes, vote, work, war, college, credit cards, marriage and drive a car its likely your ready to consume achohol.
    In the UK you can buy alchol when your 18 so it wouldnt cause that many problems i suppose, I think its better to buy it in the shop

Wine is very low in alcohol content, and let's be honest - Who drinks wine to get drunk?
    Wine is normally about 12-15% alcohol whereas Beer is normally 5%.

Also I know plenty of people who drink wine, and not just women But then I guess that comes with age, when we were younger we would never touch the stuff.
    Steve

They can require the person receiving the package to show I.D. and be over 21. That should deter abuses. Reality doesn't always match theory. Whether any studies have been done to test whether internet sales increase abuses, I don't know. Local stores often have a pretty good selection of beer and wine anyhow, but sometimes a brand can be of interest to a person and not available locally.

I'm sure the real motivation behind these laws are to force consumers to by instate and pay their ridiculous tax on it.

I actually like the 21+ law here in the U.S. It keeps the teenage crowd out of the clubs.

Yes, i've seen wines where they are generall in the 12% margin.

In the UK you can buy alchol when your 18 so it wouldnt cause that many problems i suppose, I think its better to buy it in the shop
    Yes, its a shame our government teaches young adults like children.

I actually like the 21+ law here in the U.S. It keeps the teenage crowd out of the clubs.
    If thats your only excuse for having achohol for people over 21 that is quite selfish of yourself. If a person is age 18 and wants to go to a club they should be aloud to do so because they're an adult.

I don't drink often, but when I do its typically wine.
    I for example had a few drinks of coon's farm Orange Wine.

I also like those Mike's Hard Berry although i've only have had a few sips of it... tastes like a cherry icy with malt liquor in it.
    Kerry Jones

Here's an idea. All internet sales of alcohol go to a local store to be picked up there by the buyer. (probably for an added fee by the store) The store checks the ID's. If the person is not of age, they just lost money.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- dburling@ts-host.com -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Then maybe you aren't old enough to drive a car, have a credit card, or buy cigarette. Yes, but when I was 7, I worked by helping my family to cook. I took the pea out of the pea pods. College is school....If you are still young enough to go to college....maybe you are too young to drink.

That is because 18 year old is still a kid a 18 year old is not an adult. If you want a 18 year old to be an adult then you should go to another country . As well just because you can work, ect does not mean you or another person is ready for drinking. The brain grows for a long time and drinking causes it to slow down (I believe I read some where).

Yes, its a shame our government teaches young adults like children.

If thats your only excuse for having achohol for people over 21 that is quite selfish of yourself. If a person is age 18 and wants to go to a club they should be aloud to do so because they're an adult.

Then maybe you aren't old enough to drive a car, have a credit card, or buy cigarette. Yes, but when I was 7, I worked by helping my family to cook. I took the pea out of the pea pods. College is school....If you are still young enough to go to college....maybe you are too young to drink.
    I've been cooking since I was 7 and my skills of it have improved vastly over the years especially since visiting eskillet by vito.

I am old enough to drive a car and responsible enough to use a credit card or smoke a cigarette although I choose not to smoke. If you recall College is optional and that is for advance placement in a career field that some people cannot avoid.

I did drink some orange wine last month and to tell you the truth i've never drank enough to become "drunk" like some people.
    I'm pretty responsible when it comes to achohol and would never over do it because when you become drunk I imagine it feels like ****. My brother went out for drinks on his 21th birthday and he came back very drunk with the vomiting and sleeping on the toliet.

would you suggest such behavior is acceptable for a 21-year-old or should we extent the law to 25 - 30+ because of a few people who would abuse it? Also indiaberry anyone can attend college even if a person is 40 or 50+ if they wish to work for a degree.

That is because 18 year old is still a kid a 18 year old is not an adult. If you want a 18 year old to be an adult then you should go to another country . As well just because you can work, ect does not mean you or another person is ready for drinking. The brain grows for a long time and drinking causes it to slow down (I believe I read some where).
    I am just as responsible as any other when it comes to achohol. I have and never will drink to the point of becoming drunk. I would also like to show you the age structure:

0 - 12 - child
    13 - 17 - teenager
    18 - 49 - Adult
    50+ - Elderly

although we have the teen part according to our government we are adults and if were able to go to war and shoot to kill an adult in combat were certainly old enough and capable of drinking. hell, I would even be for supervised drinking if the government would allow it.
    Last edited by Kerry Jones; 07-22-2005 at 11:51 AM.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve

Also I know plenty of people who drink wine, and not just women But then I guess that comes with age, when we were younger we would never touch the stuff.
    Wine leaves nasty hangovers -- especially the dark stuff.

Either way though, I'm 20 and in the US. I just got back from the store to pick up 2 bottles of Soco & a little yager. Tonight will be a fun one.

Not sure how it is like where you are, but where I live as long as you are at your house with your parents (no one elses) you can drink. Though you can not get drunk if you do then it is breaking the law.

hell, I would even be for supervised drinking if the government would allow it.

I was thinking like how they currently do driving for the young teenagers. If your 18 and want to go with a bar you may go with someone who is 21 or older.
    Kerry Jones

Yes but you must be responcible!

there is such a thing as online alcohol sales?

How hard is it to go a few blocks to the store and get a 6pack?

In my birth country (not the USA), the age you can start drinking at is 16 years old.

18 and 19 years old are also in the teenager and adult categories.

If you have notice that if you are under 25, you can be on your parents' insurance but if you are 25...you can't. When you are under 25, you have to have someone to cosign a loan plan to pay for college.

I voted to allow all three. Personally, I believe the United States should lower the drinking age – although that's another story altogether.

The reason I believe all three should be allowed is that it would cause problems for people who do all of their shopping online. To be honest, I'm not sure how popular this is in the US, although in the UK you can do all of your shopping online – including for alcoholic beverages – and no doubt this ban would prohibit this.

If necessary, have the buyer show an identity card to prove his age before being given the package, but don't penalise everyone on the small chance that someone below 21 (which is a ridiculous age for being allowed to drink I must add) will purchase alcohol online.

Lovely theories about why the drinking age should be lowered were widely tested about 30 years ago, and most states have raised it back to 21. I doubt that internet sales would make a cheap drunk cheaper, although real world data may or may not agree. In theory the underage alcohol abuser could just buy yeast and grape juice or apple cider, but most alcohol abusers lack the patience for that. It's a myth that home brewing is such a finicky process that you'll be poisoned by a little mistake. The cases of people getting poisoned from homebrew are the result of stupid or unscrupulous people adding methyl alcohol--the product of an industrial process. Methyl alcohol is often sold uncontrolled based on the not-always-accurate assumption that no one will be stupid enough to disregard the "poison" warnings on the container.
    Internet sales could be quite helpful to the small winery or brewey that can get a good write-up but isn't ready for massive, efficient distribution to the store shelves. Whether internet sales evade state excise taxes, I don't know. If they do, that can be a good reason for states to want to prohibit them.

Yes but you must be responcible!
    I am very responsible when it comes to drinking.
    I've only drank enough to get a buzz, but never enough to be drunk.

what you must also realize my atanaomy is different from other people. I for example drank half of a bottle of coon's farm orange wine in about 30 minutes and it did give me a slight buzz, but it was over in 2 hours. ( the bottle was 24 oz)
    Kerry Jones

I am very responsible when it comes to drinking.
    I've only drank enough to get a buzz, but never enough to be drunk.
    Responsible = Breaking the law? Not my definition...

Responsible = Breaking the law? Not my definition...
    If I recall you may drink in your own home with your parents.
    It varies from state to state on what you can and cannot do.

besides, I'm an adult and expect to be treated like an adult and the first step towards adulthood is the ability to get a drink.

My dad is planning to get me "wasted" on my 21st birthday and i'm not going to do it because behavior like that isn't acceptable.
    Its an abuse of achohol that isn't intended to be consumed over a small period of time and i'm just not going to do it.
    Kerry Jones

The first step toward adulthood is not the ability to get a drink.

The first step toward adulthood is acting like an adult.

its one step and I do act like an adult.
    Kerry Jones

its one step

That's where you are wrong.

Being allowed to drink alcohol is an indication of age and nothing else.
    You cannot put a chronological age on becoming an adult.

Just because the law allows certain things at certain ages it doesn't mean you have become an adult mentally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast