hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Outlook Express Problems. Any help welcomed

Forum Jump

Outlook Express Problems. Any help welcomed

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
virtualizing the world

Outlook Express Problems. Any help welcomed

Hello,

Well, I just started having this problem about 1 1/2 week ago.

Here's the situation:

When I open outlook express, and start to write a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail, outlook express will sometimes close saying, 'Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvience'. It also closes when it's checking for new e-mails, or changing preferences ( I think it just closes if you are doing anything in it).

I have searched MSFT.com but I came across nothing that is directed to my issue.

Here are the specifics:

AppName: msimn.exe
ModVer: 2.1.2600.2180
App Ver: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: ntdll.dll

I am assuming ModName is the Mod that is causing the problems.

Hewlet Packard suggested that I re-install outlook express by using the regedit tool, and set the values to 0, however when I try to run the setup file, it still says it detects that Outlook Express is already installed. (IsInstalled is the DNAME that was edited to 0 for both the OE and IE registry')

Anyone know what could be causing this, or know how to fix this?

Another problem:

This started about three days ago. When I reply to e-mails, it starts at the bottom of the e-mail instead of the top. Why? I don't know, but I definitely didn't do anything to change this setting. Does anyone know how to set this back to where it will go to the top of the e-mail instead of the bottom?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Liaison 2.0

Have you installed the Outlook Express update from http://update.microsoft.com? It's a Custom Update, not under the Express category. It apparently fixes a handful of bugs. Maybe it'll help you out.

The only other thing I can think of is a corrupt mail store.

A serial entrepreneur is someone who effectively manages startups within their means to manage them, not someone who runs 30 different business ideas at once hoping one works. If I wanted to hire someone to throw things at a wall to see what sticks, I'd hire a two year old.

Old
virtualizing the world

I go their practically everyday. As well, it tries to send a error report, and if the issue has been covered in a newer update, it would have specified so after sending an error report.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Re: Outlook Express Problems. Any help welcomed

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNetway
Hello,

Hewlet Packard suggested that I re-install outlook express by using the regedit tool, and set the values to 0, however when I try to run the setup file, it still says it detects that Outlook Express is already installed.
Have you tried uninstalling it first?

From Start menu > Control Panel > Add/remove Programs >> 'add/remove windows components'

Outlook Express is listed. Uncheck.

Than hard reboot and reinstall.

Old
virtualizing the world

Yep, done that, and then I reboot, and check it back when my pc is booted back. (IMHO, it doesn't even look like it was reinstalled)

Old
virtualizing the world

Actually, what I will do is uncheck both OE and IE, and then run that setup file and see what happens. I'll post the results.

Old
virtualizing the world

Clicked on the setup icon, and still gives me that 'it has detected a new version is installed'

I click on the ie and it is trying to search for an installation so i know it's uninstalled. Any ideas?

Old
virtualizing the world

Also, when you go in windows components, I found out that this only disables access to it, but they are still installed however.

Old
Community Liaison 2.0

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNetway
I go their practically everyday. As well, it tries to send a error report, and if the issue has been covered in a newer update, it would have specified so after sending an error report.
Not necessarily. That's how it was supposed to work, but that seems to rarely be the case in practice.

Run your .dbx files through one of the utilities shown here. See if any of the boxes come back corrupt. Unless some program has snapped into Outlook Express directly (emoticon program, antivirus software) I can't imagine what else might cause this.

A serial entrepreneur is someone who effectively manages startups within their means to manage them, not someone who runs 30 different business ideas at once hoping one works. If I wanted to hire someone to throw things at a wall to see what sticks, I'd hire a two year old.

Old
Web Hosting Master

In the majority of cases where I have seen what you discribe its caused by mailboxes that have grown too large and become corrupted. Have you tried to copy the mailstore somewhere else and then let OE generate new empty ones?

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Old
virtualizing the world

Yep, did that.

Old
Web Hosting Master

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Mirantis Launches Free Hosted OpenStack Tier for New Cloud Developers Web Hosting News 2014-12-04 09:32:06
Outlook.com Adds Skype Integration for Inbox Calling Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:22:24
Outlook.com, SkyDrive Outage Impacts Small Group of Users Web Hosting News 2013-08-14 15:11:01
VeriSign Raises Revenue Outlook After Strong Second Quarter Web Hosting News 2013-07-26 16:01:38
RackForce Networks Launches Cloud-Express Servers Brand Web Hosting News 2013-04-03 14:03:49