Direct Mailing, SEO, Forums, FreeMarketing Linking, Word of Mouth, alot of ideas you can throw out that can help you alot. I mean if you have a budget of around 1,000.00, you can get a Mailing List of 1 Thousand, for lets say ... Business Owners in Atlanta. Then you can do Standard Mailing, Postcard, Custom Design, $0.19 Per Address, which would be around 1 Thousand Dollars, not counting design and all that other stuff.
Best advice would be:
1. Decide on your market (blogs, fansites, gamers, anime)
2. Look for popular sites with a forum that has lots of members in those areas.
3. Get a banner made. I use 20dollarbanners.com
4. Buy banner space - usually you can get a cycled banner for a month for $100 - $150
I usually try a site for a month and if poor results move on to another. Some ppl let you get a day for $20 with a permanent banner (not cycling). I find those have the best results.
There are always risks involved when you’re investing money to promote the business, hence you should select a most cost effective method for implementing the advertisement, which should not go over the budget.
It is far better to consider the following factors before selecting the appropriate advertisement method for an ad campaign.
1. Consider the age of the site and the size of your site.
2. Research the size of your target market/sub market and target audience.
3. Estimate CPM and the ROI well.
4. Judge the cost, effectiveness, reach and coverage of the selected advertising method.
5. Close monitor the effectiveness and the conversion rate as it will enable you to make the change if required for further improvement to it during advertisement.