Home Server question

I was wondering, how can those people that use their home computer as a server have high-traffic sites? I'm talking about the ones without a T1 line, and one of the people even said that they use their computer as a server and they frequently use the internet and XBox Live

Well the simple answer is they can't ... serving pages from home is slow and unprofessional, however it's a nice way to learn ...

If you want some more info on serving pages from home www.dslwebserver.com is an excellent site .

What I'm saying is, they do, and I wanted to know how

Originally posted by TrentTech
    What I'm saying is, they do, and I wanted to know how
    I believe he answered both your questions..
    1) THEY DON"T!
    2) You get an old PC, put CentOS or Fedora or Debian or w/e on it, then run apache, sql, ftp, etc...

He was trying to help you... no need to be nasty.

I really don't want to argue, so I'll end it with I'm sorry if my second post in the thread seemed rude

Well, I'm sure it is possible, but only to a certain extent. If this site you are referring to is as popular as you say, then I would think that it the site would be incredibly low, once the line has reached it's capacity. It is possible for a highly popular, intensive site to be hosted on a small line, but I highly advise not to do such. Once the line reaches capacity, the site will load as slow as snail. I can't imagine such a high-traffic site being hosted on a 1.5Megabit line...

It's possible. I used to do it. I have a 6.5/1mbit line, so basically I can upload around 300GB per month.

Originally posted by XF-Chan
    It's possible. I used to do it. I have a 6.5/1mbit line, so basically I can upload around 300GB per month.
    Yes and I have a 4mb Download line at home but the odd thing is I can only muster around 200kbps... at any given time.. Don't believe everything you read..

4mbit download... I'm talking about upload. I have 1mbit upload, and the server used was a 2500+ Barton. That makes hosting possible. This server was only hosting a forum. As long as you don't host a download site, it's possible.

I was just talking about hosting my site, forum, and a freinds site (small)

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Yes and I have a 4mb Download line at home but the odd thing is I can only muster around 200kbps... at any given time.. Don't believe everything you read..
    I have a 4Mbps download line, and I get my full 4Mbps/500KBps speed. People can purchase higher speed DSL lines that allow them to host higher bandwidth servers, however, it usually ends up being cheaper to buy a bargain unmanaged server at that point.

Well, I've decided that I'm going to fool around with my Linux box downstairs to get the hang of using a dedicated server, and then just get an unmanaged dedi. Does anyone know any good sites for Ubuntu Linux applications? (Security apps especially)

Not sure what apps you want but here is a forum that might help you.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Well the simple answer is they can't ... serving pages from home is slow and unprofessional, however it's a nice way to learn ...

If you want some more info on serving pages from home www.dslwebserver.com is an excellent site .
    This couldnt be further from the truth... it can be done. Before we co-located all of our gear, we used to host out of our residence. We had 2 T1's, backup power, generator and a liebert cooling system. We ran for 2 years before we finished construction on our new home and decided not to move the equipment with us.

What is true is, it's not reccomended, unless you're really going to spend the time and money (money, being the key term) to do it right. Doing it from DSL or a cable modem is not a good idea!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Kelani: Yeah, it sure is
    DBH: Thanks for the link

Sure it's possible and people do it all the time.

Think the impression people are trying to make about doing this... if you care about the people visiting your site, you probably don't want to.

Good luck trying to run any kind of bandwidth intensive site... But if all you have is text pages (like most forums), you could probably handle a couple hundred users with no issue whatsoever depending on your line speed.

By the way, Ubuntu is more a "desktop-oriented" distribution as opposed to a "server-oriented" distribution (not as if the difference means anything, other than more people are using it and testing it for one task than the other). If you want to use Debian-style package management I'd recommend you just stay with Debian mainstream. If you're new to Linux you may want to try something easy like CentOS/RHEL, too, though I wouldn't put anything but Debian (or Slackware) on my production servers.

Exactly its all about how serious you want to look and do you care about downtime. I used to run a site off my home desktop pc for my friends to visit.

I'd say it's definitely possible but it's not a viable business solution unless you want to spend too much money on things like backup power generator, cooling system, backup internet line etc etc Besides you could rent a nonexpensive rack with all these things ready and supported by proffesionals.

The reliability of a home DSL/cable connection, but if that doesn't worry you, go for it. As long as it isn't a download site, people likely won't notice too much, other than the fact that pages likely load a bit slower. Also, make sure your ISP allows you to host servers, I know that a good number of them do not allow servers to be hosted on residential services.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Originally posted by sirius
    This couldnt be further from the truth... it can be done. Before we co-located all of our gear, we used to host out of our residence. We had 2 T1's, backup power, generator and a liebert cooling system. We ran for 2 years before we finished construction on our new home and decided not to move the equipment with us.
    In his original post he said was it possible without all that stuff. Just out of curiosity did you have to create a special room in your house to do that or did you just convert an old basement room?