The cost of war.

Yesterday I flew from Atlanta to New York.
    There were several Army soldiers returning from the Gulf on the flight.
    As the plane taxied in to the gate the pilot came on the intercom to acknowledge the soldiers and asked the passengers as a show of appreciation and respect to remain seated to allow the soldiers to deplane so they could get to see their families as quickly as possible.
    I'm quite certain that there was a wide range of people onboard, conservatives and liberals alike and every person on the plane remained seated and applauded the soldiers as they left.

Two things struck me as they got off the plane.
    One was how incredibly young they looked. Some of these kids will have seen things in combat that no person should ever have to see and their lives will be changed forever.

The other was the absolute look of relief on the faces of the families when they saw their kids for the first time in what must have seemed like a lifetime. It must be a terrible feeling to turn on the TV every day and hear the latest casualties and wonder if it was your son or daughter was the one who died so far away.

This kind of human cost to the kids and the families far outweighs and monetary cost of war.

Re: The cost of war.

Good post, thanks.

IMHO, no matter what one thinks about the war or the politics, the soldiers coming home deserve a warm and healthy welcome. That is when you put politics aside, just as every trooper did.

Good point for me to stop at, so I will.

Originally posted by blue27
    Yesterday I flew from Atlanta to New York.
    There were several Army soldiers returning from the Gulf on the flight.
    As the plane taxied in to the gate the pilot came on the intercom to acknowledge the soldiers and asked the passengers as a show of appreciation and respect to remain seated to allow the soldiers to deplane so they could get to see their families as quickly as possible.
    I'm quite certain that there was a wide range of people onboard, conservatives and liberals alike and every person on the plane remained seated and applauded the soldiers as they left.

Two things struck me as they got off the plane.
    One was how incredibly young they looked. Some of these kids will have seen things in combat that no person should ever have to see and their lives will be changed forever.

The other was the absolute look of relief on the faces of the families when they saw their kids for the first time in what must have seemed like a lifetime. It must be a terrible feeling to turn on the TV every day and hear the latest casualties and wonder if it was your son or daughter was the one who died so far away.

This kind of human cost to the kids and the families far outweighs and monetary cost of war.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Well said Michael, well said...