raid controller advise--need immediate help

A couple days ago I placed an order for a 1u server and I received the following reply from the manafacteur: "
    The amd system has a problem with the raid card (3Ware 8506-4LP 4 Port Raid 5 Adapter). It doesnt fit. The ram slots are directly below the raid card and it wont sit flush with the riser card."

He recommended putting the following in instead:
    LSI MegaRAID 1504064 SATA 150-4 4-Channel RAID Kit Storage Adapter

I'm looking around this board and did a search only to find mixed reviews in the past. What would be an appropriate alternative, because I know I need raid 5--but I need it to be reliable as this is pretty important data. I would be doing offsite backups but I should be able to trust the controller.

any idea if they're using a motherboard that allows low profile Ram and whether that would solve the issue with the Raid adaptor not fitting?

Personally I wouldn't use anything but a 3Ware Raid card for SATA/IDE.. always has been a great raid card.

<< The ram slots are directly below the raid card and it wont sit flush with the riser card. >>

That makes no sense.
    I've never seen such a thing.
    PCI slots and RAM cannot take up the same space on the motherboard.
    Whether using staight pci-slot input, or a pci riser card, the RAM slots should not be in the way.
    Maybe it is some weird board with a riser momory add-in card.

I'm with burstNet on this one.

Extremely strange case/MB layout to have the Ram slots underneath a riser. Typically you'd see the Ram slots on the opposite side/corner of the PCI slot.

Sounds like the board definately doesn't have a standard layout, or is a smaller design or format with a compressed layout where the ram slots were relocated.

how many drives does that 1U support??

Try to find another server. These guys either don't know what they are doing or they just build bad servers.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Some motherboards and 1u cases allow two pci cards to sit back to back, one normal and one towards the ram.

case:
    http://supermicro.com/products/chass...SC812S-420.cfm (#6)
    motherboard:
    http://supermicro.com/products/mothe.../X6DHR-8G2.cfm (#7)

I would try to get more details on the hardware they are using and see if there is another solution besides swaping raid cards.

In fairness, the LSI card is actually pretty good. These are also the ones used on Dell servers