Can someone answer this simple computer question I have...

I'm embarrassed to ask this but here it goes... I have several articles saved in a folder on my desktop but my folder isn't arranging my articles (icons) in the correct order.

For example I have 3 articles (icons) saved in that folder each called "article1, article2 and then article3".

But instead of displaying it in the above correct order my folder displays my articles (icons) out of order like this "article2, article3 and then article1".

That's not in order! Article #1 should come first then #2 then #3. How can I get my folder to display it like that automatically? Right now I have my folder options set to arrange icons by "name" and at "auto arrange". Is there something else I'm supposed to check off so my icons are displayed in the correct and proper order? I have already tried a few different things but can't get it to work.... wondering if anyone can help me...

EDIT: Oh my gosh I'm such an idiot. I fixed it... I simply renamed the icon from "Article1" to "Article 1". I guess it wants me to put a space between it. Go fiqure, a little picky now aren't we! Opps
    Last edited by Frosty; 07-21-2005 at 07:18 PM.

I knew I should've been faster! Glad you got it solved!
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Oh but wait a second this is odd... I have several other icons in that same folder called "icon1, icon2, icon3" ... not "icon 1, icon 2, icon 3"... and those icons automatically arrange in the correct order even when I don't put a space between the name of the file and #.

Strange, I guess I will just start putting a space between the name of the file and # since that way it always behaves. Odd that some of the icons will arrange correctly either way and others don't.

Beats me

Re: Can someone answer this simple computer question I have...

Originally posted by Frosty

EDIT: Oh my gosh I'm such an idiot. I fixed it... I simply renamed the icon from "Article1" to "Article 1". I guess it wants me to put a space between it. Go fiqure, a little picky now aren't we! Opps
    Blondes

just jk Frosty you found the solution so you're not a blonde
    Last edited by GoTek-JP; 07-21-2005 at 07:30 PM.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

If you right click in the folder and select "arrange icons as", does it have "modified by" selected or "name"?

http://fixitguru.com/arrange.gif

ndndixie,

It has "name" selected. If I select "modify" instead then it really screws everything up and isn't even listing in alphabetical order anymore or correct sequence. When I have it on "name" and "auto arrange" then it lists everything correctly as long as I put a space between the (name and #) of the file. I'll just use spaces from now on when naming my files

J-P,

I am a blonde, it's a good thing though because I really need that as an excuse to get by in life!

It should still work if you have no spaces though ... strange.

Don't ya just love Bill Gates?

Yes, very strange... on some icons it works with no spaces and then others it doesn't. Like my icons called "article1" doesn't work I have to name it "article 1".

But in that exact same folder my other icons named "juliet1" work without spaces.

Oh well :)

Yeah, ... all computer apps have little quirky things, particularly MS apps.

Originally posted by ndndixie
    Don't ya just love Bill Gates?
    Was there any need for that comment? It doesn't help the user find a solution does it.

It's pretty simple if you think about it. at least to me..

article1, article 2, article 3.
    article1 is seen as 1 word while article 2 and article 3 are seen as two words.

Therefore, between article1 and article, article is seen, alphabetically, as first. then 2 being before 3 it arranges those correctly. The space only matters if there is a difference in spacing between the three.

Therefore, icon1, icon2, and icon3 would each be seen as an individual word and would list them in proper order as 1 comes before 2 which comes before 3. Now, if you had done icon1, icon2, icon 3, it would have shown in this order : icon 3, icon1, icon2.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Frosty, I think you need to get a computer expert to move into your house.

It would help you out for sure in the near future as i've seen you having some problems in the past.
    Kerry Jones