Urgent: CentOS Questions

I know I want to use CentOS on my webserver (AMD64 2800, 1GB RAM, cPanel/WHM). Which would be the best to run and I'm assuming 64Bit isn't 100% supported by mysql, apache, php, exim, etc... so let's talk 32-bit. Which version is the best to use? I would assume 4.1 would be good since it is supported by cPanel but are there any problems with mysql, exim, etc...? What are some of your opinions? Also, what is the difference between i386 and i686 and which would be best to run on my setup? I would appeciate quick responses. Thanks guys.

A little quiet today aren't we? Anyone?

I couldn't comment on 64bit, but centos on 32 bit works flawlessly.

You would want to use 686 if you are using amd, p4, etc. Basically any of the newer processors you want to use the 686 kernel. You can still use 386, but 686 tends to be slightly faster.
    Mark

Thanks man. One last question, I can't find the i686 version for 4.1. Could you direct me to the mirror? I appreciate your response.

Oh and when you say slightly faster, could you more specific? Like, how noticable would it be with your personal experience.
    Last edited by Nathan D.; 07-21-2005 at 10:03 PM.

Also, I didn't notice that you didn't say which version of 32bit CentOS worked flawlessly. Which version do you use that you know works well? 4.1?

4.1 hasn't caused any problems. The difference between the kernels is minimal. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm not sure if centos comes with a 686 kernel or not.
    Mark

Originally posted by Nathan D.
    Thanks man. One last question, I can't find the i686 version for 4.1. Could you direct me to the mirror? I appreciate your response.

Oh and when you say slightly faster, could you more specific? Like, how noticable would it be with your personal experience.
    Well you can use the i386 ISO available at the mirrror sites. I dont think there is any seperate distro available for i686 for 4.1.

Although there is one available for 64 bit version.

http://mirrors.versaweb.net/centos/4.1/isos/
    Vision Helpdesk : Customer Support Helpdesk Software
    ThinkSupport Solutions™ - ThinkSupport.com

Thinking of Support Solutions ... Think About US .....!!!