Microsoft Office

Some time back I heard there was another product out that was free, and rivals the Microsoft Office Suite. One of our large medical clients are doign major upgrades, and we provide the computers and all software. Problem is, the amount of licenses needed is going to cost us $200,000. So I mentioned that I had heard about the other office suite, not only could we save ourselves the upfront cost, but could save the customer a ton of money also as we would make $50,000 off the top of that one software alone. So instead of it costing them $250,000 it could cost them only $50,000

Does anyone know the other office suite I am talking about? Has anyone used it, and how does it compare?

Re: Microsoft Office

Originally posted by Webdude
    Some time back I heard there was another product out that was free, and rivals the Microsoft Office Suite. One of our large medical clients are doign major upgrades, and we provide the computers and all software. Problem is, the amount of licenses needed is going to cost us $200,000. So I mentioned that I had heard about the other office suite, not only could we save ourselves the upfront cost, but could save the customer a ton of money also as we would make $50,000 off the top of that one software alone. So instead of it costing them $250,000 it could cost them only $50,000

Does anyone know the other office suite I am talking about? Has anyone used it, and how does it compare?
    You told them you are going to save them all of that money, yet you do not use the product, or even know the name? How are you going to do any support if you do not even use it?

But since you stand to profit greatly, send a check my way. I will never tell you about Open Office, even if you play rap music to torture me.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I know of a few, OpenOffice, www.openoffice.org, the new 2.0 beta's are extremely nice.

Ability Office, pretty cheap, pretty good.

www.ability.com

Then GoBeProductive
    http://www.gobe.com/

Maybe that will help you.

I believe Stephen got it, OpenOffice. I use it often. There are a few different things about OO compared to Office, suchas the spell checker isn't as good as office IMO, but once you get used to its' layout, you will prefer it much over Word. I have the entire Office Suite but I choose to use OO's Beta, and I much prefer it any day of the week.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Re: Re: Microsoft Office

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
    You told them you are going to save them all of that money, yet you do not use the product, or even know the name? How are you going to do any support if you do not even use it?

But since you stand to profit greatly, send a check my way. I will never tell you about Open Office, even if you play rap music to torture me.
    I didnt say "would", I said "could"

I also admitted that I had never tried it out.... until today after I said that. I found OpenOffice and downloaded the beta, and was quite impressed. Of course, I'm not the one who makes the decision on it...

All that money? I'll be lucky if the company even sends a small check my way

OpenOffice is the one that you will be referring to - but remember there are other factors other than cost. You should actually review and test whether OpenOffice is suitable.

OpenOffice can duplicate a lot of MS Office's functions. It is not a perfect substitute. There are many templates for cards, labels, etc. available for Word but not for OpenOffice. A file with text and images created in OpenOffice may have them thrown out of place by Word, and vice versa.