Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "Incedent reported just now at the hospital". Armed police were sent to the hospital, maybe they caught the guys trying to get medical treatment.
    Xoopiter.com:: The new standard in Web Hosting

"Incedent reported just now at the hospital". Armed police were sent to the hospital, maybe they caught the guys trying to get medical treatment.

They're believing one of the people who was meant to be rucksack-bombing has gone to the hospital after his device failed to explode properly...

Yep, armed police have entered UCH, i'm sure he's hiding out in there. If he's armed + tries to take hostages, I know the SAS have gone through this exact scenario, a madman in a hospital + I think I remember armed police going through this scenario as well, so I'm sure they'll sort it, its a big hospital though, but if they have it surrounded, it shouldn't be a problem

Are the SAS a military division or more like a Swat team? I always thought they were more military based. They are also evacuating houses around one of the stations.

Jeff

Originally posted by sandanista
    Yep, armed police have entered UCH, i'm sure he's hiding out in there. If he's armed + tries to take hostages, I know the SAS have gone through this exact scenario, a madman in a hospital + I think I remember armed police going through this scenario as well, so I'm sure they'll sort it, its a big hospital though, but if they have it surrounded, it shouldn't be a problem
    haha SAS wont be involved, so19 is the police equivelant of swat and they will deal with the situation, they are armed with mp5's and train on these situations.

sas are military

from teh bbc:

Friends of mine are paramedics - they report that one of the stations has been ruled out, and the bus was just a coincidence. There was a fight and it just so happened to be reported at the same time as the evacuations. They are still taking the other two stations very seriously.
    Richard Howse, Bracknell

1525: Armed police arrest a man outside the gates of Prime Minister Tony Blair's 10 Downing Street offices.

BTW, There are some videos of a bus with windows knocked out,is that from a fight, or from a small explosion?

Another one? Close down the borders or something, even those this may be a copycat, they should have more precautions in the Railways [Didn't know if they did, or didn't]. I hope london keeps fighting in the war in Iraq, even tho Al Qaeda's #1 Goal in the bombing of the railways 2 weeks ago was to make the council meeting in, Northern Ireland focus more on terroistism, and hopefully withdraw from Iraq ... Which didn't work.

Being Reported on BBC at the moment that the Police have detained two people and that they are hunting an unknown number of fugitives.

Ben
    Ben Doherty
    Web Development Director
    Orbital Net Ltd - www.orbital.net – Leading UK Internet Solutions Provider
    Hosting | Colocation | Dedicated Servers | National ADSL | Leased Lines | Wireless Broadband

Are the SAS a military division or more like a Swat team? I always thought they were more military based. They are also evacuating houses around one of the stations.
    Yes the SAS (special air service) are military. They are not involved as it is a police operation, I'm just saying that I know for a fact that they have trained on the exact same scenario that the police are working on now, so I'm assuming that the police have also trained for it + will deal with it fully. Unconfirmed reports from inside UCH have said that only 3 armed policemen entered, simply to warn staff to be on the alert for a tall suspect in a blue hooded top who may either seek treatment or enter the building to hide. The policemen hadn't left by the time this report had happened, I guess its because they were warning more of the hospital's staff.

Originally posted by jayathome04
    haha SAS wont be involved, so19 is the police equivelant of swat and they will deal with the situation, they are armed with mp5's and train on these situations.
    That was my point
    Anyway, Tony Blair hardly mentioned the whole incident in a statement he just made + Police although saying it is a serious incident, have said it is not a major incident as there have been no casulaties.
    No one is sure whether the man arrested has anything to do with it, journalists reported he fully cooperated with the police + did not seem a threat at all.
    There have been reports of the windows on the bus been blown out, this report came from someone on the bus + a small explosion was also heard. However, a BBC journalists on the scene said she could not see any blown out windows + police declined to comment on whether the windows was blown out or not, so no one really knows what happened there or what caused it.

Being Reported on BBC at the moment that the Police have detained two people and that they are hunting an unknown number of fugitives.
    Haven't heard anything on this yet, its good news though.

Another one? Close down the borders or something, even those this may be a copycat, they should have more precautions in the Railways [Didn't know if they did, or didn't]. I hope london keeps fighting in the war in Iraq, even tho Al Qaeda's #1 Goal in the bombing of the railways 2 weeks ago was to make the council meeting in, Northern Ireland focus more on terroistism, and hopefully withdraw from Iraq ... Which didn't work.
    The previous attack was from terrorists within the UK, closing down the borders wouldn't help. Also, the police investigation into the bombs 2 weeks ago suggested that the bombs were somehow linked to extremists madrasahs in pakistan and we were warned not to jump to conclusions about Al Qaeda involvement, as it is a product of Saudi Arabia, not pakistani madrasahs.
    I don't think now is the time to start a debate on Iraq + whether we should withdraw or not, lets just hope no one is hurt in this incident and those responsible are caught + brought to justice.
    Last edited by sandanista; 07-21-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Police are now saying there was a bomb on the bus, the same type as used last time, yet it did not explode, or something like that.

Sounds like 'copycats' to me.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    Sounds like 'copycats' to me.
    Thats what I suspect, copycats who got it wrong!
    One other suggestion I heard is that its people trying to make a point, (what point I'm not sure - maybe that it can happen again at any time) but that whoever did it, didn't actually want to kill anyone. Although I find this hard to believe, the pundit who raised this theory questioned why was it done outside of rush hour? why was it done outside of central london? and why was there an apparent dummy nail bomb? He said that if you go to the trouble of making a bomb to kill a lot of people and hurt many more then why make a dummy nail bomb because you can make a real one in the same amount of time. I'm not a bomb expert or a terrorist expert, so I guess the police will be answering this guy's questions in their investigation.

The SAS are counter terriorist experts, the police often use them rather than there own forces when terrorism is involved. SO19 mainly deal with drugs and more 'low key' crime than terrorism, I am pretty sure the SAS are on high alert, if not already in London dealing with the issues.

my understanding of the lastest update:

Four rucksack bombs had been manufactured and carried onto three tube carriages and a bus. None of the bombs detonated, the bangs were the detonators but no payload. One man has been arrested, another was chased by passengers from the tube but got away. The other two managed to escape with the fleeing passengers.

It seems as if someone botched the explosive mix and none of them exploded. Apparently there is only one injury - don't know how serious or whether it is a bomber.

The police have a lot more to go on this time - eyewitnesses for example, and the actual packges. Hopefully some arrests in the next few days. If they do catch them, I think they should be tried for treason - the only crime in the UK which still carries the death penalty I believe. Catch 22, as they wanted out anyway.

Maybe just lock them up - Guantanamo style - but only if they are guilty.

I hope the tube keeps it's popularity after being locked down twice in as many weeks. I may not go to London often, but it's a great way to travel.

Anyway, it's good to hear that no-one was seriously hurt. I hope they catch 'em.
    Peter Hall
    Tera Web Hosting
    UK Web Hosting and Backup Storage

In the UK it is rare to see armed police, but there was 2 walking around Bache train station(Chester) this afternoon. Caught me off guard.

I think these incidents are making me slightly racist.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Suicide Bomber Shot

'SUICIDE BOMBER' SHOT

Police have shot a suspected suicide bomber at a tube station in south London.

Marksmen opened fire near Stockwell Tube station as passengers were evacuated. It is thought the man was killed.

Passenger Briony Coetsee said: "We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say `get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots."

Sky News Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said: "There is no word on whether he has been killed or simply injured."

If the suspect is confirmed to be a suicide bomber, it would mark the fifth attempted terrorist attack on London in less than a day.

The is thought to have been either stepping on to the train or was on the platform.

Brunt said: "He was probably shot in the head. There is no confirmation of that."

Police have been given orders to shoot to kill if they believe someone is about to detonate a bomb.

Brunt said "The officer or officers involved in this clearly felt this suspect was about to detonate a bomb."

Tube services on the Victoria and Northern Lines were suspended at the request of police..

More to follow...

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...189920,00.html
    Steve

From the BBC:

A man has been shot at Stockwell Tube station by armed police officers, police confirm.
    Passengers were evacuated from a Tube train on the Northern Line station in south London after the incident.

Passenger Mark Whitby told BBC News he had seen an Asian man shot five times by "plain-clothes police officers".

Services on the Victoria and Northern lines have been suspended following a request by the police, London Underground said.

Police are hunting four would-be bombers after Thursday's London blasts.

The bombers fled after detonators went off, causing small blasts, but failed to detonate the bombs themselves.

Mr Whitby, told BBC News: "I saw an Asian guy run onto the train hotly pursued by three plain-clothes police officers.

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

Passenger Briony Coetsee said: "We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say, 'Get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots."
    Steve

Let's hope they got the right man, and not some innocent bystander.

I heard that the coward terrorist who ran off the train, after dropping off his bag, was chased by some folks, but they couldn't catch him. Pity.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Interesting - assuming they've got the right guy - that's a good thing.

armed police are surrounding a mosque in east london

Originally posted by Slidey
    armed police are surrounding a mosque in east london
    Apparently that was a false alarm based on suspicion of 2 suspicious packages. The warning regarding the mosque has been lifted according to bbc.

"An earlier bomb threat targeting a mosque in east London has been given the all-clear by police."

looks like the muslims are also targets in this outrage.
    May god help us all.
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast