question about Linux/Windows based hosts

now i'm about to register with a webhost - but i'm kind of confused. when they say they are 'linux based', does that mean their server is on Linux, or that i need have a Linux OS?

Also, how bout here - at, they have a package that says 'Linux' and one that says 'Windows'. i have no idea which one to choose - i am using Windows, but do they just mean I can use either one - depending on if i want to integrate Windows utilities or whatever into my site?

anyone following me?

New York City
    It means the server is Linux Based, you do not need to be running on Linux yourself at home to use their service.

Deciding between a linux or windows package/host is totally up to you, I suggest you do a search and read some articles on comparisons etc... google would be good for that
    █• CirtexHosting • Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS • Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! • I eat penguins for breakfast ...

thank you!

Jackson, WY
    Linux & Windows are both operating systems on there web servers.

Depending on what type of applications you would like to use you have the choice of either one.

Do some searches on WHT about Windows Hosting and Linux Hosting and it should help you decide. - We Fly Above The Competition™
    The Industry Leader In Cloud Web Hosting

Langley, BC
    Ya THRMan is rght. They both offer their ups and downs. You just have to decide what is better for you. I personally like Linux servers, but thats just from my own experience. Well good luck with your decision
    Michael Bayazit
    Red Linux Hosting