cpanel login problem

We're having a strange problem . Suddenly some clients can't acces cpanel and server returns invalid username or password.

I tried to login using my main root password, but i didnt work. I also tried password modification, but it didnt work either.

cPanel 10.2.0-R82

Thanks

what system you use? try check are above username exist in system?
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

Fedora. Yes, username exist in system.

Hello,

Sounds like cPanel is corrupt. Run /scripts/upcp --force as root.

-Scott
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Hi,

I run /scripts/upcp --force, but I don't still get to access the cpanel. WHM normal access.

Thanks

Execute /scripts/rebuildetcpasswd

and then try login to cPanel, try also restarting cPanel with service cpanel restart.
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules

Unhappy

Thanks,

But not resolved

Can you login to cPanel with ANY passwords? Have you tested the passwords work when logging into ftp/ssh ?

Yes i can. I not access ftp again.

Hello,

If you cannot access ftp with those passwords then the username and password is wrong. Reset it as root with passwd username

-Scott

I reset it as root with passwd username, but not resolved again.

Would anybody have more some suggestion?

Reinstall cpanel

When my customers are going login in the cpanel, with the password and correct user, gives a message, as if the password and user were wrong. Would anybody have some solution? Do I want to reinstall the cpanel, but if does that, will I lose the configurations of the cpanel?

Try to reset or change password in WHM for that user and see whether the new changed/reset password works?... ...

EDIT: Merged with other thread which I just read and believe you are asking for suggestion/solution of the same problem.
    Last edited by choon; 07-24-2005 at 11:42 PM.
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

but they are all the customers. Is difficult it alters the passwords for 600 customers.

Try it with ONE user first, if successful... then it isn't hard to reset all passwords for all cpanel users using custom script... ...
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

First how the server health? Has /var and /usr got plently of room on them? What kind of load are you running on the system?

Is this with random users are all of them? Is both cpanel and ftp down for the same users at the same time?

Sorry if you already answered these but I did not read every reply.

The Server is perfect. Yes have /var and /usr. Yes, the password problem is for all the users. Then we are altering manual the passwords, made that it usually works the login in the cpanel..the bad is to have to alter the passwords manually of 600 customers.

Well... you are going to be very busy doing that manually... custom a shell script to automatically reset all cpanel users to a randomly generated password (all different password of course)... ... then that script saved to a file so that you can email all the 600 customers with all their newly generated reset password... ...
    Giam Teck Choon

Thanks. I liked your idea. Don't I know how to program in ssh, would anybody have a script, to do the one what our friend choon did suggest?

On one of my WHM servers the suspended list shows almost all accounts on the server. The accounts are actually active. I access sites, but not access WHM, cpanel and ftp.

I was looking at the shadow, and I saw that has some error. The right would be like this:
    user_here:$1$0jFnLDcd$BA1SnGtPfCLY.eO15aXn6.:12985::::::

But in the count that are appearing in Listing suspended counts, this like this:
    user_here:!! :12985::::::

Is appearing the sign "!!" . Something is wrong. Would have as fix that error?

If you reset that user password, the !! sign will be removed and replaced with a password hash... but if after doing that you didn't get that user listed in root WHM... then you need to do a couple things... I am unable to list what things you need to do unless I know your system/problems well... so if you are not sure how to handle it... it is better for you to ask your provider for support.
    Giam Teck Choon