hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting Talk Tutorials : Web Hosting Tutorials : Backing up while webhost is down

Forum Jump

Backing up while webhost is down

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Tutorials Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Backing up while webhost is down

If you forgot to back your content up, sometimes it IS possible to retrieve it when your webhost is down & both URL & IP addresses don't work [this will not work with all hosts!]

1. If you don't know what your webhost's IP address is, go to this site & look it up by typing in the address of your webhost.

2. Login using the IP address as the address. Use the same username & password that you signed up with in the first place.

All of your files should be there. Unfortunately, you won't have access to any database files, unless you backed them up or they were backed up automatically & saved in a zip file. You should have access to your mail folder, so you can save any emails you want.

I figured I'd post this here, because I told some others to do this. They needed their sites up right away & these steps worked perfectly for them. This is especially good if you plan on switching webhosts right away.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

I checked something out...you can in fact get access to your databases if you have CPanel!

IPaddress/cpanel - then type in your username & password.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaliza
If you forgot to back your content up, sometimes it IS possible to retrieve it when your webhost is down & both URL & IP addresses don't work [this will not work with all hosts!]

1. If you don't know what your webhost's IP address is, go to this site & look it up by typing in the address of your webhost.

2. Login using the IP address as the address. Use the same username & password that you signed up with in the first place.

All of your files should be there. Unfortunately, you won't have access to any database files, unless you backed them up or they were backed up automatically & saved in a zip file. You should have access to your mail folder, so you can save any emails you want.

I figured I'd post this here, because I told some others to do this. They needed their sites up right away & these steps worked perfectly for them. This is especially good if you plan on switching webhosts right away.

Good luck!

The url doesn't seem to work

Sponsored Links
Old

try using ftp://<youIP> then login with your passes .. or try dnsreport.com

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yes, they apparently changed it. It was working for a very long time before.

Old

What program do you download to go the c-panel?

Old
Web Hosting Master

I have WS_FTP Pro. You can also use Cute FTP or any other FTP program.

Old

i use wsftp its works really well

Old
Community Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaliza

Makes little sense here? If both URL and IP don't work, how then to log in using IP?

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Makes little sense here? If both URL and IP don't work, how then to log in using IP?
Yeah, I was thinking the same too bear.

Liam

Offsite daily backups | cPanel/WHM/Fantastico
Now offering VPS!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
WebHostUK LTD Listing 2014-10-22 09:48:21
WebhostUK Launches Cloud VPS Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:46:51
Red Hat, Rackspace Hosting Win Against Patent Troll Web Hosting News 2013-04-01 17:09:30
Aussie Web Host DWHS Rebrands to WebHost.pro, Adds Plans and Features Web Hosting News 2013-02-14 14:41:25
A Look at the New WHM Interface in Version 11.34 of the cPanel Hosting Control Panel Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:52