Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cogent - Special Pricing

WASHINGTON, July 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cogent Communications Group, Inc. (AMEX: COI - News), a multinational Tier 1 Internet service provider, announced today that it is making a unique offer to cable companies interested in testing Cogent's high quality Internet service without the risk of a long term commitment other providers require. Recently ranked as the largest Ethernet service provider in the United States, Cogent's new "Zero Commit" offer will help cable companies improve margins in their consumer broadband access businesses. Cogent's "Zero Commit" program allows the cable customer to cancel service within thirty (30) days of service initiation for any reason. The cable customer will pay only for the full first month of service charges but will be credited back any installation charges already paid.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050720/dcw008.html?.v=18

Anyone hear any price points?

Probably a very good move for Cogent it could force other networks into perring relationships.

Yeah, Cogentco is definately the dark horse. We are about to build out a network using them. Hopefully, this will give the big guys a little "reality check".

They are just too cheap not to use them.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Sounds like a plan, are they the first actually?

To me it just sounds like they're trying to get end users on their network, which isn't an easy task. I wouldn't be surprised if other carriers offered similar offers, etc., mostly the smaller ones such as Abovenet, etc. For them it really makes sense to get end users, as they already have a great amount of content on their network. It would help greatly in peering, and even keeping some things on-net. if they can get some providers switched over it'll be great for their network and great for their current customers.

Also, since when was Cogent a Tier 1? As I said above, it would help in peering, as they don't currently peer with all the Tier 1 providers, thus they are not Tier 1, according to the general definition.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    Also, since when was Cogent a Tier 1? As I said above, it would help in peering, as they don't currently peer with all the Tier 1 providers, thus they are not Tier 1, according to the general definition.
    They've called themselves Tier 1 since they acquired NetRail.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

I think much of the back-end is already in place for this to take hold rather easily and quickly.

The Cogent POP in our facility actually rides/uses lines provided by Comcast - a large cable provider. When Cogent increases their capacity, the word is they'll provide their own lines to our facility, but for now they use Comcast.

Sounds like a pretty logical step IMO.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Originally posted by QuickPacket
    They've called themselves Tier 1 since they acquired NetRail.
    yeah we originally had Verio which for us was sold to PSInet, which cogent gobbled up as well.

We've had the same quality of service but now just with a "bad" name.

I wonder if they will go under the $10 a meg level.

This was also another positive Cogent Newswire.

BOSTON and WASHINGTON, July 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Hibernia Atlantic, the fastest trans-Atlantic transport provider, announces today that Cogent Communications Group, Inc. (Amex: COI - News), the largest Ethernet service provider in the US and a multinational Tier 1 ISP, has selected Hibernia's network to provide 10Gbps wavelength service from Boston to London to meet growing customer demand for trans-Atlantic capacity.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050715/nyf059.html?.v=10

Originally posted by music
    I wonder if they will go under the $10 a meg level.
    They have been for a long time at larger commitments.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

"They have been for a long time at larger commitments."

Can you give us a Cogent Sales Rep that would confirm pricing for under $10.00 ?

You should be able to get this from any Sales Rep at Cogent. It has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum before. You should be able to find it using the search function.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

I think it is a great move for cogent.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

I have talked to a few Sales Reps and ALL of them said it is not true that Cogent is under $10.00 even at larger committments.

I did search the forums and could not find it :-( .

Try calling a Cogent Rep, you will see what I mean :-)

how much were they asking you to buy to get that price?
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

I have talked to a few Sales Reps and ALL of them said it is not true that Cogent is under $10.00 even at larger committments.

I did search the forums and could not find it :-( .

Try calling a Cogent Rep, you will see what I mean :-)
    Last I heard they were doing 2 Gbps for $16,000.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

QuickPacket, you are hearing wrong in a lot of places.... No one has $8 / megabit, it can be pretty much guaranteed

Unless you have REAL proof do not even come back and say they have $8 a megabit pricing

Cogent direct is not giving anyone $8.. maybe resellers but they are overselling because they themselves are not getting it for $8.

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    yeah we originally had Verio which for us was sold to PSInet, which cogent gobbled up as well.

We've had the same quality of service but now just with a "bad" name.
    I would agree that they provide a high level of service, and the Tier 1 status does not determine quality, etc. I am just stating that according to the standard definition, they are not a Tier 1, they are not transit free as I do believe they buy transit from Verio to reach several providers.

I would also like to confirm that the only people selling Cogent under $10 per Mbit/sec that I've seen are resellers, who are overselling. I have talked with various Cogent reps for a multi-gig commit and have never been offered $8. Not saying it isn't possible, or wasn't possible at one time, etc. Just saying that I have yet to see any proof, or anyone relating a first hand experience of such a deal.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Last pricing I've had for a GigE direct (didn't take it any further was just curious) was in the region of $14,500 ($14.50/mbit).

It's a shame a pretty good company now have such a bad reputation, when infact there are worse out there with worse networks, take XO/Algx for example ...
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Originally posted by RajH
    QuickPacket, you are hearing wrong in a lot of places.... No one has $8 / megabit, it can be pretty much guaranteed

Unless you have REAL proof do not even come back and say they have $8 a megabit pricing

Cogent direct is not giving anyone $8.. maybe resellers but they are overselling because they themselves are not getting it for $8.
    This was back a few months, but

http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-.../msg00016.html
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

How is that proof? Another person who have "heard"... Every one "heard" but no one has proof

Here's another one.

http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-.../msg00174.html

Confirmation from a Cogent rep:

http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-.../msg00201.html

It did happen in the past.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

That is not confirmation that is sales rep trying to get business leads by not confirming but making interest rise if $8 was given people would be able to prove it

If any does have $8 i can tell you that you would need to be #1,#2, maybe #3 biggest cogent customer ... no one else would get it..

either way no need to talk about $8 without proof from customer who shows his bill or cogent themselves

lowest price that is confirmed is $10

Hey , that was my message. LOL
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

I do not think the largest Cogent users get $8.00 pricing.

And not that anyone cares, the stock closed a little lower at around $7.00.

Wait........ does this mean that fair market value for Price-per-meg should be $7.00. LOL
    Last edited by music; 07-20-2005 at 10:24 PM.

I do not think the largest Cogent users get $8.00 pricing.

And not that anyone cares, the stock closed a little lower at around $7.00.

Wait........ does this mean that fair market value for Price-per-meg should be $7.00. LOL

finally a series of posts from music that I like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast