better then internap ?

im just wondering if anyone considers other bandwidth providers superior over internap ?

Internap is the best, imo, but its not an internet backbone, its their pnap technology that takes most if not all of the major internet backbones and you go on the fastest one. So if you name a backbone, internap probably uses it.

Internap Network Services Corporation is the leading provider of fast, reliable and centrally managed Internet connectivity services targeted at businesses seeking to maximize the performance of mission-critical Internet-based applications. We have created a platform to intelligently route data over the Internet’s major backbones from a single connection to one of our Service Points. We achieve this by connecting directly to each of the major backbones, thereby avoiding the congested traffic exchange process, while using our intelligent routing technology to find the most direct path across the public infrastructure.
    Also see the attachment

(sorry if you already know this, hopefully someone will learn something new)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ourtechnology1.gif  
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Aleron

I prefer Aleron they seem to be all around faster then most other providers. I don't much care for Internap bandwidth, but my DSL provider (speakeasy) uses them and I have never had any problems plus I ususally ping/trace well to alot of sites.
    Last edited by neonlexx; 02-14-2003 at 06:01 PM.

I second Rewdog's opinion. Internap is the best in terms of peering points. The picture attached above explains it very clearly. Another thing that I like about internap is that they do not own a backbone, but only use them and therefore have greater flexibility. When you go with internap, you're pretty much set to go anywhere using the backbone that pnap chooses (which you might already know).
    Reyner Natahamidjaja
    :: Global IP Networks - Tier 3 Data Center and Managed IT Solutions
    :: SSAE 16 SOC-2, PCI and HIPAA Compliant
    :: https://gipnetworks.com

The image looks just like any BGP setup does it not?

I don't think Aleron can even come close to being compared to Internap. I doubt anything really does come close, since, none or few have the routing abilities that Internap does.

Is Savvis and/or Yipes somewhat comparable, minus the intelligent routing deal? Savvis is what, a collection of Level3/Genuity and a few other providers? Yipes I believe is Level3/Genuity + Williams, although, I believe it's mostly Williams now, which brings Yipes down a notch lower.

Where is bandwidthtalk.com????!!! Sheesh, I've been asking for that for months!!

Re: Aleron

Originally posted by neonlexx
    I prefer Aleron they seem to be all around faster then most other providers. I don't much care for Internap bandwidth, but my DSL provider (speakeasy) uses them and I have never had any problems plus I ususally ping/trace well to alot of sites.
    Aleron? The company that Sprintlink, UUNET, and Cable & Wireless recently de-peered forcing them to purchase transit from Global Crossing?

hrmmms.

/sjs

Re: Aleron

Originally posted by neonlexx
    Yea, Speakeasy and Internap seem to be pretty well matched for eachother (I am also a happy Speakeasy.net user). However, I would like to add Hurricane Electric's bandwidth to the list. It may not have the intelligent routing that Internap has, but it's still very fast and very well managed/routed.

-- Jonathan

What makes Internap great is not only their intelligent routing, but their Service Quality Guarantee / SLA. Almost every datacenter/provider can only provider service guarantee on their network but Internap provides SLA over the whole internet, both uptime guarantee (100%) and their packet losses guarantee.

I have not been able to see any other SLA stronger than Internap's. But most importantly, Internap has always been able (so far for us) to fulfill their promises.

One of the main reasons why Internap can offer such a strong SLA is because Internap does not peer but rather buys transit. And of course, because of this, for the backbone's point of view, Internap will always get priority than others who solely peers because Internap pays for the traffic!

my two cents.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Aleron has been nothing but good to me, never had any downtime like I hear about people using all these other providers. Plus the pingtimes are great all around the country..ultra fast connectivity.

People say this and that provider is good but aside from say UUnet or Qwest..I can't think of any other good providers which havent had good uptime or nearly 100% uptime.

Aleron handles DDoS pretty well too. I am located in GC right now in atlanta,ga they just started routing everything over Aleron since all their problems and nothing but good uptime. Defender Hosting also has space in an aleron DC, I constantly test their connectivity since im moving a box there soon. I can say it sure beats alot of these other companies around here. I don't usually whine about my bandwidth unlike the slews of other people here who have serious amounts of downtime.

The downtime I have at GC has been related to GC's routers getting DoS'd but the aleron network as a whole is fantastic.

what happened?

Why has no-one mentioned mfn (above.net)?

Their network has always been phenomenal and up-time has been great.

Any feedback about them?

Talking about Defenderhosting ...
    I'd like to add Pccwbtn into the list ... (former cais.net/Ardent Communications)
    I've seen nothing but great speeds from their sites.
    Also GNAPS, which ServInt is using is more than superior... almost no downtimes/problems and great connectivity to Qwest (love them), NAC, Aleron etc. etc.
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

hmmm are you guys sure that speakeasy still uses internap? As far as I know, the last time that I spoke with them they said that they dropped Internap.
    GameWarrior.net - Bringing Gaming To The Next Level
    GamingMonkeys.com - Come Play Fun Flash Games !

seeing as how that thread was 3 years ago, probably not