Zone transfer: what is needed?

Hi all,

I have been looking at different Linux/Unix reseller hosting plans in order to host .dk domains. To host these the name servers need to allow zone transfer to DK Hostmaster, administrator for all the domain names that end with .dk. They write the following on their website:
    The domain name server [...] must be set up correctly and allow zone transfer from the name server to the DK Hostmasters primary name server - hostcount.dk-hostmaster.dk, 193.163.102.6.
    In addition I also need to get the name servers validated by DK Hostmaster (validation fee is about 80 US$ per server). To avoid loosing this fee, I would prefer to deal with someone with experience with zone transfer (especially since I'm a new).

The standard support reply from most hosting companies is "Yes, you can host .dk domains with us", but digging deeper noone seem to know anything about zone transfer and what is needed.

Can anyone tell me what reseller hosting plan I need to look for?

Do I need dedicated hosting or is shared hosting ok?

Can I setup server to allow zone transfer myself, e.g. via WHM, or does the server administrator have to do it?

Know any hosting companies that has experience with .dk domains, perhaps with an already validated server?

Thanks,

Anders
    Newbie and reseller-wanabee
    Last edited by Rolf Krake; 07-20-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Hi Anders,
    You need in russian hosters You don't need speak on russian for this and your .dk domain will not hosts in Syberia
    We just have same requirements from .ru domains rules and this is the reason why we understand your requirements and can do all of you need. Your .dk domains just require allow-zone-transfer option in named.conf, most of american and world hosters.
    If you still find soluton, just send PM and i will try give you best quote for your requirements.
    Best Regards
    Dmitry Ivanov
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

cpanel systems are generally open for zone transfers of all zones on the server by default.

yes, by default. but good admin disallow this option because in other case anyone can steal your zone files (which is not good and reliable hosters will never allow trhis for all internet, only for selected ip-address - for example, for some registrar robots). Also, allowing zone-transfer frequently means that registar require zone files was create before registration begin. this is not cpanel default option.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

Still not enlightened. Any .dk hosts out there?

Thank you both for posting, but I don't feel enlightened as to what kind of reseller hosting plan I need to look for.

Does anyone know of a hosting company that host .dk domains already? That might save me for the $80 validation fee

Thank you, Dmitry, for recommending a .ru host (can't read the website, though), but I would like to be able to shop around before I decide. I may also try the "quote forum" later.

I'm glad to find out that it is not just .dk domains that require servers to allow for zone transfer. Therefore I should have a chance to find a host with experience in the area. Perhaps there are same requirements for .de, .se, .no etc.?

Cheers,

Anders