Upgrading a Dell server with 3rd part ram?

Hi,

Have anyone tried upgrading av Dell server with non Dell / aka 3rd part RAM?

If so - what type and how did it go? :-)

www.crucial.com - they guarantee compatibility and I've never had a problem using their ram to upgrade dell servers and workstations.

See ya later warranty!

If the box goes FUBAR, take the ram out before returning it under warranty!

As long as it is the same specs that came out of the machine you should be fine. I'd rather not pay the crazy fees Dell charges for ram either..

Just make sure you get the exact same type of RAM - Dell usually uses ECC registered RAM, which isn't as common.

ECC is still common for servers. Anyhow, Crucial guarantee that their RAM will work or you get your money back.

I have upgraded Dell PCs/Servers with Crucial Ram, Kingston Ram, Corsair, PNY, and many others. I have not had problems with ECC, Registered RAM either. It is much cheaper to purchase your ram from 3rd Party.

premium ram like crucial means that they put it into another computer and tested it or did something simmilar thats what makes it 'high quality' .............................. the lower /cheaper stuff is the same but NOT TESTED RAM .......... remeber the'yre all still made in bulk either way
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

If you're set on buying 3rd party, go through Crucial and use the system config feature to get exactly what you need. I've never had a problem with Crucial Ram, and Dell often uses their exact same ram with a Dell warranty sticker slapped over it.

Sometimes the pricing won't vary that much depending on the model vs Dell and Crucial so best to just check beforehand, otherwise you might be better off using a 20-30% Dell Discount instead.

You could save a few more $$ with other brands but personally I've never felt it was worthwhile given warranty, or quality concerns given the small amount of savings per stick.

We have done this in the past and it has worked out well for us.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

I have always been suspicious that all memory is stamped out at the same factory. If it boots, it's usually good for life.

Memory makers have to come up with something to charge you a premium by claiming "matched", and "compatable".

Just my two cents.

Never had problems with 3rd party RAM in Dell boxes, if it's an actual server though make sure you get ECC reg'd memory or your box may do strange things.