Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Age Requirement for Hosting ...

Hello,

I just want to know everyones feedack on, Is STarting a Web Hosting Company [Reseller or Not], a good idea for someone in High School?I just would like to know if with school, friends, all of that, will I have enough time for hosting, or should I not go into it.

Please give feedback!

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin,

Thats a question you need to ask yourself.
    Do you have the time?

//Doesn't run any hosting company, still doesn't have time for friends -- and I have 24 hours a day.
    ///Certainly not in school of any sort, except a hard knock life! tru dat h0m3y G.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I think its a great idea if you have what it takes

I know I do, but I have to think about afternoon and morning when I'm not online! What then?

You could set your hosting management script (modernbill, clientexec) to auto-create accounts immediately upon receiving payment. Have a FAQ portal which covers a lot of questions. Hire a techie (you may find one somehwere on these forums) for a reasonable amount of money to deal with the support tickets.

Ofcourse you wont become a millionaire if you do bussiness like this. Not even close. But it is a solution

Well, Just starting out I really don't want to hire someone, and waste my profits on a tech person, due to the fact with reseller account I will be getting it comes with support for my clients automaticly.

Your customers will hate you and rightfully so if you advertise 24x7 support and dont really provide it. Thats why I said the part about the techie

Originally posted by KevinHarp
    Well, Just starting out I really don't want to hire someone, and waste my profits on a tech person, due to the fact with reseller account I will be getting it comes with support for my clients automaticly.
    Yeah, it would be bad having decent support hours!
    Down with that idea!

//Sarcasm, obviously you don't have any good business sense.
    Get a clue first then reconsider.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

If you don't have the time then I do not think that you should do it at all. You need to remember you could be hosting someones lively hood.

Umm, I have the buiness sense, Just come on. Starting out, would you hire someone not even in the same town as you, and never met inyour life in a $2-4,000.00 Investment?

KevinHarp,

Where are you getting those numbers?
    David

Custom Design Site, Flash Tutorials from DemoDemo.com. Reseller Monthly, Marketing [SEO, Google, Direct Mailing].
    Last edited by HostAqua; 07-19-2005 at 10:13 PM.

I think you mean "SEO"

I regret saying its a good idea now.

When you start a webhosting bussiness with a $4000 Investment, you definitely hire a techie

Yes, But I will be doing this in house, not a office.

You could outsource your support.

KevinHarp, to the average buyer online looking for hosting

It makes no difference if you operate out of your house or out of a hitech installation in silicon valley. What they want is space, bandwidth, features, support to put it shortly.

If you invest $4000 on a Webhosting Bussiness, it will be indeed disastrous not provide fast and knowledgable tech support.

You can contact me today if you need any guidance or help, if you decide to go ahead with the idea

JTY: What do you mean, Explain
    EVIL: Do you have AIM or something, I would like to talk with you more.

where you get the 2k to 4k? If it is full time that would be around $1,232.00 - $1,760.00 per month. Of course it could be more or less depending how much you are charging.

So say you just pay them $7.00 a hour that is $1232.00 (without taxes taken out). That would be $14,784.00 per year per employee. That is if they work 8 hours a day 22 days a month.

It just depends on where you live, ect. I have seen jobs go from $7.00 to $10.00 per hour. As well you will need sales, billing, support, second level support, managers and other staff later on as well if you get big enough.

Though you have to consider when you first start if you have a very detailed FAQ, demos, and a few other things set up that should cut down the emails. Clients will expect the host to know what they are talking about as well get quality service from the host. If you can not provide it then you are in the wrongbusiness.

As well how old are you? Where you live? If you are in America you need to be 18 years old to be in a legal contract with another person. As well you will need to paying taxes if you do not it will catch up to you sooner or later.

There is a lot of things you must consider before getting into a any business not just web hosting. As well do you have the funds to keep going? Since it takes time and money to build any business in which will not come over night .

Umm, I have the buiness sense, Just come on. Starting out, would you hire someone not even in the same town as you, and never met inyour life in a $2-4,000.00 Investment?

EVILISCIOUS666 ON AIM

1st: I have the funds to last me a year or so of reselling.
    2nd: I'm in High School
    3rd: I Live in Austin, Texas
    4th: I really don't have the the funds for hiring another person to the extent of full-time, Just someone to check the tickets during the daytime.

Thanks,
    Kevin

1st: I have the funds to last me a year or so of reselling.
    2nd: I'm in High School
    3rd: I Live in Austin, Texas
    4th: I really don't have the the funds for hiring another person to the extent of full-time, Just someone to check the tickets during the daytime.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    What about insurance? What about rent? Food? Family? Car insurance? Lights? Heat? Water? What if your server provider goes down and you need to switch?

What about taxes? What about all the papers you need to fill out before you are a legal business?

Though I must say if you do it make sure you have the clients in mind. Meaning make sure you do your best to give them the best quality, support, and service around.

Good luck!

JTY: What do you mean, Explain
    EVIL: Do you have AIM or something, I would like to talk with you more.
    There are firms which specialize in handling customer service, and technical support. Many of which charge on a per ticket basis, and have low monthly minimum fees.

What about insurance? What about rent? Food? Family? Car insurance? Lights? Heat? Water? What if your server provider goes down and you need to switch?

What about taxes? What about all the papers you need to fill out before you are a legal business?

I am a minor, and I have parents, who have a good amount of income which can provide more then enough for a 4-5k investment.

I am a minor, and I have parents, who have a good amount of income which can provide more then enough for a 4-5k investment.

I had a voice conversation with Kevin a few minutes back. I'll be helping him out in his endeavour. He sounds serious to me

Serious or not.

Blowing any amount of money into something you know nothing about is.. well.. pointless?

Any one agree?
    It's Scott!

Dedicate your self to the business if you start one; stick with it.

Commitment is the key to success
    Last edited by WireNine; 07-20-2005 at 02:23 AM.

Originally posted by camers
    Serious or not.

Blowing any amount of money into something you know nothing about is.. well.. pointless?

Any one agree?
    Who Said I didn't know anything about the Hosting Industry?

Good luck Kevin, just remember this, if you get yourself into it you can not give up so easily as many problems and obstacles will lie ahead of you before your website is even live & online. I suggest you take a bit of time to get everything setup and ready and planned out before you purchase hosting etc...
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

You honestly will need to hire somone to provide support if you want to be deamed as a realiable company to anyone. I just started a business myself. I am running it with 1 other person. Between both of us we can give 24/7 support. If i did not have this other person, i would of lost a ton of business so far.

My best advise is to ask EVILISCIOUS or even myself (AIM is DeMiNe0) what kind of technical and business tasks lay ahead of you, and see if you can handle that.

I wish you luck, and i welcome you to contact me if you need help.
    http://www.go-typhon.com
    Awsome CHEAP Plans!
    PHP4 & PHP5! IRC! CPanel! Game Servers! 24/7 Support!
    E-Mail: [email protected]

-well hey you could register a domain name
    -make a site for it and host it off your dsl/cable connection if your parents got one
    -and when your really confident and ready to manage a schedule have a whack at it

the only thing your gonna find is that this hosting markets really saturated with host compared to customers

thats the only real downside i thnk ive ever seen
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

thats what I like to see Kevinharp - enthusiasm and enterprise

Good Luck

Mark

I have contacted many Webdesign Companies, and Tech Support Employees, and I am decided who to go with. <Request snipped>
    Last edited by ldcdc; 07-20-2005 at 02:31 PM.

My advice to you is to always make good use of common sense and to take advice from those who actually have the experience of running a succesful hosting business for years. Also, be careful as the Internet is a dangerous place. Some will simply want to get a piece of your $4K budget.

Cheers!

Yes I know, thats why I am hiring people I know that are able, and have experience, and very good.

IE:
    - Aarcmedia.com
    - UrbanTwelve.com
    - DesignGator.com
    - ETC

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin you still haven't addressed the issue that you are a minor and cannot enter into a legal contract. Are your parents going to be the legal signators for your business and therefore be held legally liable for the business? Have you discussed this part of it with them?

Have you discussed the tax issue with your parents? Have you discussed business licencing, a business bank account and accounting services with anyone?

There is a whole lot of legal and financial aspects to hosting. You should speak to your parents about this and they should speak to their lawyer and accountant so that they are aware of all the implications. Also contact your state and/or county and/or city business licencing bureau to find out what you have to do to be licenced.

Originally posted by MMMedia
    Kevin you still haven't addressed the issue that you are a minor and cannot enter into a legal contract. Are your parents going to be the legal signators for your business and therefore be held legally liable for the business? Have you discussed this part of it with them?

Have you discussed the tax issue with your parents? Have you discussed business licencing, a business bank account and accounting services with anyone?

There is a whole lot of legal and financial aspects to hosting. You should speak to your parents about this and they should speak to their lawyer and accountant so that they are aware of all the implications. Also contact your state and/or county and/or city business licencing bureau to find out what you have to do to be licenced.
    Yes my Parents know about this, but this is still under 'Hobbies' or something along those lines, until i get a good income and then the legal part comes into play with Web Hosting.

Kevin,

Anything that generates income isn't under 'hobbies' -- you'll afterall have a TOS/AUP, you have to be old enough.
    David

Ok So Yes, My Parents will be signing off on it. I will have a TOS\AUP. I will be setting up the Legela ends of it with my lawyer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast