Good Virus Protection

I bought a Dell Notebook that came with 60 days of a free McAfee virus protection that just expired. I have Symantec AV but it seems to bog my system down more than McAfee has.

I guess I'm not too keen on spending $$ to buy a McAfee subscription and wanted opinions on inexpensive and solid options for antivirus/firewall protection on XP that don't bog down performance like Symantec does.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

avast is pretty easy on resource usage.

Maybe ZoneAlarm and AVG Free?
    - Matt

Most of my machines run Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition, doesn't impact resources much at all. My Notebook is running Nod32 which I've found to be an excellent product. In the past I've used Panda AV which also was a very good product.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

www.free-av.com
    for private non-comercial use.

Clam Win might be an option (Defs updated almost daily)

Good luck

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

AVG could be good. I found that it had a bug in that it would jam outgoing emails, and I could only send mail by disabling option to do AVG scan outgoing. The mail program I used was Eudora Pro 4.2. There is the possibility, not tested by me, that it could work better with other email programs or versions.

Kaspersky has the most amazing detection rates ive ever seen, all other antivirus ive ever seen have had horrible detection rates, including all of the above listed, someone can avoid it by using a simple file packer or hex editing, while kaspersky will even detect it when the PE headers are stripped and the file is totally morphed.

I've been using Zonealarm + Antivirus ($25/year) pretty good and the price is good I think

Originally posted by Tee
    someone can avoid it by using a simple file packer or hex editing, while kaspersky will even detect it when the PE headers are stripped and the file is totally morphed.
    Im assuming your talking about like ZIP,etc..... Nothing can be done to your computer that im aware of with a ZIP/COMPRESSED file...As soon as you UNZIP IT,your AV should get it (If its bad)

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

No, im talking about PE Packing, totally different thing, this is dynamicly packing the file so that it can still be executed in its current form, just smaller and it will have different patterns.

Tee - How does Kaspersky software perform on systems? Does it use minimal resources?
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site