is paypal smart way to do business?

ive decided to use paypal but have seen that i do not get my customer info..they keep it...so getting a cart seems smarter..but trying to acknowledge all possibilities

It's a good idea if you have very few transactions to justify the hassle and if you don't want to apply for a merchant account.

However, you may be viewed by customers as less of a serious merchant if you're in retail business. Also, if you read Paypal's TOS, you'll find that PP is heavily biased towards consumers. If there is fraud or consumer complaint, the merchant always lose. Finally, the transaction fee is pretty steep at high volume and/or high price items.

we use paypal as well as many other forms of payment , this would be another situation where you might not want to put all of your eggs in one basket.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

PayPal may be a good alternative if you are just starting out. One advantage is that some people may be wary of giving out credit card info to a merchant; using PayPal they don't do that.
    You may also consider using a service like Clickbank, if you don't want to get your own merchant account etc.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Is Paypal A Smart Way To Do Bussiness?
    Absolutely Not. Paypal froze my account which had 1600$ about 3 months back. I had to wait 17 days to get my account fully functional again. Why? Because a buyer from nigeria paid with a fraudulent credit card to purchase an ebook worth just $15 from my website.

Its my misfortune that I continue with paypal. If someone can suggest me a service like propay.com (with VIRTUAL TERMINAL) that accepts international customers, instant signup..I'll appreciate it.

Heres an interesting conversation between Marc Perkel- The founder of the Church Of Reality & Paypal

PayPal are very strict on their antifraud policy. Everyone who use them must be very very focused to fight fraud.

Theyr offer good payment solutions and even a merchant gateway. But you can use them primary to American and EU customers.

I suggest you to create your own page where you can collect information about customes name and e-mail address so you could be able to deliver product/service.

Best Regards
    Dimitar
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

I suggest you to create your own page where you can collect information about customes name and e-mail address so you could be able to deliver product/service.
    & How do you suggest I bill their credit cards?

I am aware of various 3rd party payment processors but I can't really put your suggestion to any good use unless you answer my question in its literal sense

Paypal claims to have over 71 million accounts. Thats a pretty big number. Say they are completely lying and only have 35 million accounts. Still, thats a pretty big number of clients. Thats 35 million users whom will find it easier to signup for an account with you and would be probably more willing to sign up. Do you really want to run the risk of loosing out on that (Paypal users) target market?

You will read storys about users getting ripped of by Paypal. Bottom line is, abide by their TOS and use as actual business bank account as your bank account and things will be fine.

I want fcolor to answer my question

"How do i bill credit cards without a processor?"

Jmweb, No I do not want to miss out on those 35 million accounts. But I do want to protect my money as much as possible & try and prevent it from falling into paypal's hands

Originally posted by EVILISCIOUS
    I want fcolor to answer my question

"How do i bill credit cards without a processor?"

Jmweb, No I do not want to miss out on those 35 million accounts. But I do want to protect my money as much as possible & try and prevent it from falling into paypal's hands
    We've never had a problem with Paypal but given some of the story's we have read we do keep a minimum amount of cash in that account at all times. Use another account to store your funds in.

Originally posted by fcolor

Best Regards
    Dimitar
    Very much so agreed. Who signs up for an account by simply filling out the paypal subscription information. Not many....

For this arrangement to work I need a Merchant account & preferably a gateway (Linkpoint)

I do not have a US Bank account, postal address or social secuity number. I reside in India & no merchant account provider has yet responded to my applications.

I have nothing against PayPal personally but I have seen numerous other people have problems with them in the past.

I'd thought I've give you my perspective as a consumer. I Ebay a lot. Therefore, I use PayPal almost 90% of the time. I dislike giving away my credit card to online merchants but I do it when I have to (and I keep a sharp eye on my CC statements).

If I see a merchant that offers PayPal, I'm very happy...especially in a subscription type service. I will pick a merchant that offers PayPal over one that does not (assuming they are relatively equal in other aspects). PayPal allows me to keep my CC information limited to fewer systems and gives me more control over subscriptions. i.e. unauthorized billing.

That's how a consumer like me sees it. Will you cater to me? Something to think about.

I'll agree with tepster. Paypal evidently cares more about consumers than merchants. I mean, a thief buys a $15 ebook with a stolen credit card from my website & they freeze my account which had $1608.70 for 17 days? WHAT!

Paypal has improved since then though, they now freeze funds related to the transaction rather then the entire account. This way only the 15 dollars in question would be frozen.