fullmanaged OR unmanaged+sysadmin

Hello,

I'm looking for my first dedicated server (only because I need about 1000 GB of bandwidth), a cheap solution because it's for a personal web site (my freeware program), and if I get some income through donations or gadget sellings i maybe look for something better.

I like much CPanel but my requirement is only one domain with basic HTTP, Simple Web Stats and a good Security Setup (APF & BFD, etc)!
    PHP, MAIL, MYSQL, and a CONTROL PANEL are optional. I found some full managed servers between $100 and $140 / mo. (servstra, dedicatedplace, allmanaged, servermatrix), they include a control panel else the server is not fully managed.

But I am thinking to drop the cost in buying a UNMANAGED SERVER for about $65/mo and paying for a sysadmin for a good setup.
    Is this a good idea?
    How much can this cost me? How often do I need the sysadmin (I will not install any unsecure scripts or software) in other words how much will a sysadmin cost me x year?
    Are software upgrades due to security issues often required?

Doesn anyone have a suggestion? I sent a mail to rack911, they suggested me to install lighttpd (instead of apache) because it can handle loads better but did not gave me an idea about yearly cost. My site will do basically many image file downloads. Recently I got up to 20K unique visitors/day on a temporary test server.

Thank You,
    Andrea

You can use a 3rd part like these guys: http://www.fastservermanagement.com/

Only $29/month for management. I have no first hand experience with them but have heard good things. You can keep most things up to date with WHM/cPanel, but not everything. It's good to have someone around who can do the necessary maintenance.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

but what kind maintenance is usually required?
    (thank you)

no other suggestions?

A managed host has less incentive to keep you happy with management than a 3rd party management company. Since management is usually the main source of revenue for 3rd party management companies they will spend more time with you to ensure you are happy with their services. This is mostly a function of how easy it is to switch management companies while switching server providers is more difficult.
    ServerMatingProject.com
    The World's first server mating experiment
    We give new meaning to I/O intensive and hot swap

Best thing is to get an unmanaged server and to hire a sysadmin.

I got pretty bad experiences with managed servers.
    To give you an ideea,from 6 servers,5 are unmanaged (from different providers) and one is a managed solution.I have a sysadmin who is taking care about my 5 servers.With him i got like 2-3 problems in the last 2 months,all due to crappy scripts or goofy clients.
    On the other hand,with the managed server i got like 40 tickets in 3 weeks,all concerning major issues like kernel,dns missconfiguration,dns resolvers gone berserk,login problems..etc.All this from a company with pretty good reviews here.

Im not stating that server+managed solution is bad.But is better to hire an admin

Originally posted by andreaplanet
    no other suggestions?
    I HAVE RELLY GOOD EXPERIENCE with ALLmanaged.com It's relly ALL managed!

@holyway

I wish i can say the same about my managed server provider

Originally posted by Webfactor
    What do you think if outsources sys-admin like http://www.fastservermanagement.com/ ?

All that i know about that company is from WHT.Wich is not an opinion based on testing that services.

Hi,

You can contact http://www.compushilp.com
    Thanks,
    Netedge Technology 24x7 webhosting support, Monthly server management, Dedicated support.
    Nelichso Live chat support software

I recommend http://bobcares.com

I'd recommend a managed server over an unmanaged one + a sys admin. We have our own in-house sys admin (Matt), as well as use Rack911 on occasion to secure and tweak our servers (very satisfied, too - review coming soon ), but having a managed server has been great. Our main HD on one of our reseller servers failed last week, and within 1 hour of the HD crashing, the datacenter (Interserver.net, review coming soon as well) had our backup drive in a freshly installed machine and was beginning to restore accounts and settings without us even having to submit a ticket. In a situation like that with an unmanaged server, we would have had to do the restores and monitor the situation ourselves, giving us less time to respond to our clients' tickets on the matter. Also, some things are just easier/quicker/only possible to do in person. In my experience, we've had hardware issues fixed quicker with managed hosts than unmanaged hosts, but this all depends on the company.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Maybe its a dream, but if I ask for a good initial configuration of the server & domain. And then I update myself only some html/jpg files.
    I don't need a server with many domains or reseller accounts, just simple plain old http server.

In that scenario, does the server need any administration in one or two years? Or minimum administration.
    I accept that in case of HD failure for example I need to install all again.

until now i found as a low cost managment:

http://www.fastservermanagement.com/ $30/mo
    http://www.jonesolutions.com/ $30/mo
    http://www.bobcares.com $30/mo

But still I am waiting for some other answers...

Probably a full managed server is the best, even if this cost much more, but I dont think its wrong to seek also for another possible solution.
    Last edited by andreaplanet; 07-20-2005 at 10:53 AM.

I would highly recommend Geeks4help. I've had some experience with FSM, they're good for the price but they sometimes leave tickets unanswered for a long time.

Greetings:

More and more businesses and individuals are going the unmanaged dedicated or co-located route and then employing in-house server administrators or otherwise outsourcing.

If you go the outsource route, you should specify what operating systems and automation technology you are using as some managed service providers do specialize.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Any OS is ok for me (not Windows because it cost more).

I'm a single developper and I'm looking for a cheap solution until the site will (ever) get any income.

Quote Originally Posted by Webfactor

I got pretty bad experiences with managed servers.
    To give you an ideea,from 6 servers,5 are unmanaged (from different providers) and one is a managed solution.I have a sysadmin who is taking care about my 5 servers.With him i got like 2-3 problems in the last 2 months,all due to crappy scripts or goofy clients.
    On the other hand,with the managed server i got like 40 tickets in 3 weeks,all concerning major issues like kernel,dns missconfiguration,dns resolvers gone berserk,login problems..etc.All this from a company with pretty good reviews here.

Im not stating that server+managed solution is bad.But is better to hire an admin

How much does a sys admin cost $$$???

Do they work from home or do they need to be physically present in the datacenter or nearby?

One person cannot work full 24 hrs do you need 3 then with 8 hr shifts each?

Please be patient and explain all the 3 questions above

thanks very much
    vijay

Vijay,

1. A sysadmin (a dedicated and professional one) could set you back anywhere from $1,000 to $1,800 and beyond. It all depends on the quality you're looking for. Quite frankly, sky's the limit if you can afford it.

2. If you have an unmanaged server, your sysadmin can work from home or office. No need to to have him located at the DC
    In the case of a managed server, the company offering the server might have onsite sysadmins. But that is a rare case. In most cases, the company offering you a dedicated sysadmin has a contract with the DC for the management services.

3. Don't get greedy. Do you want 24 hours covered? A human being can stay awake and focused only so much. Most sysadmins will do a max 12hr shift, not a second more. Most commonly 8hr shifts.

And no, you don't need 3, but 5. Why? They can't work 24x7, you need to give them at least one day off/week. And considering the fact that none of them will agree to work solely on the morning/afternoon/night shift, you need to rotate them.
    Hence the 5 people.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli