New computer specs; let me run them by you all

Okay, so I'm going to build my first computer pretty soon, as soon as I have all the money (first paycheck from new telemarketing job comes in a few weeks, and it should be a few hundred, at least).

I'm buying all the parts from Newegg, a retailer whom I trust and to whom I wish to be loyal. They often get your order shipped to you a day or two before you should, with the FedEx Super Saver shipping.

I think I'm going with an Athlon solution, just because I've never had an AMD processor, I've heard it's a really nice processor, it's good for many uses, and it's very cost-effective. I don't really want to support Intel, who I feel has turned processors into a monopolistic commodity.

Anyhow, following is my configuration. I'm not the keenest on the look of the case, but it's cheap, comes with a 450W power supply, and has received many good reviews.

---

Subtotal: $957.48
    Shipping: $27.48
    Total: $984.96

I was trying to keep it under $700, but needless to say, my budget turned into "less than $1000."

What are your suggestions, tips, advice, rhetoric, ideas, additions, modifications, deletions, drivel, love, hate, sagacity, etc., regarding this tentative configuration?

The motherboard has gotten several negative reviews (though, out of 481 voters, it still has an average of all five "eggs"), as people say there is a problem with one of the chipset fans; people have also complained about the SLI and PCI-e drivers being really old, not working, and having other problems. So, I may switch that, but the price seems darn good, considering all the interfaces it has, including two gigabit LAN ports, SLI, 4 DDR (PC3200 max.) slots, 2 regular ATA, 4 SATA 150, an onboard RAID controller, onboard 8-channel audio, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these products? How were they? How did they perform?

How is the graphics card? I was debating whether to go with Nvidia or ATI, but just like the processor debate, in the end, both work fine.

Since the new computer will probably run XP and this one will keep running Debian (I plan to buy an LCD monitor and a KVM switch), I also realized that I have to buy Windows as well, which will up the cost considerably. That's one enormous disadvantage of building your own computer; when you buy one, it almost always comes with a free copy of Windows XP, but when you build your own, you always have to spend $200-$300 -- or more -- to get friggin' XP -- even with "academic" discounts. Microsoft just pisses me off beyond words.

That makes me ask another question: how do you guys get XP for your new computers? When you say you're building a $700 computer, does that include the OS? I doubt it. So, either you deactivate the old computer and install it on the new one; buy a new copy altogether, in which case the computer, when all said and done, costs about $1,000; or simply pirate a copy, which I'm not encouraging or saying that I'm going to do. Be honest, though; if you do pirate it, just admit it; you're not going to be banned or sued (just be subtle about it).

This should be fun. I'm wondering how long it takes to build a computer, especially if one has never done it before but can learn things quickly and work with his hands well.

Share your experiences!

XP is only $90 OEM. Which still is a near hundred jump though.

Everything looks nice, not sure about that ASUS (ive hard mixed things), but Gigabyte boards are good.

I would recommend replacing the powersupply in that case with a reliable brand such as Antec or Enermax. Thats quite a bit of money to be wasted if the powersupply blows.

Stevo

Takes generally around 4-6 hours greatly depending on the case. For a first build I'd say 6-8.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

Originally posted by ScionStatic(Stevo)
    XP is only $90 OEM. Which still is a near hundred jump though.
    Oh, it is? I looked on an academic "superstore," and it was advertised as follows:

Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 $199.45
    Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 Upgrade $98.95
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 $298.45
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 Upgrade $89.65

Can I simply get the upgrade without having a legitimate license to another version, or is this with a pirated copy of 2000, NT, or something (I am morally neutral here; I'm not judging you, just asking!).

Everything looks nice, not sure about that ASUS (ive hard mixed things), but Gigabyte boards are good.
    Yeah, maybe I'll switch, just to be on the safe side.

I would recommend replacing the powersupply in that case with a reliable brand such as Antec or Enermax. Thats quite a bit of money to be wasted if the powersupply blows.
    Well, I've heard the stock power supply in that case certainly doesn't have enough plugs, but you can get a converter for that. Other than that, I haven't heard complaints about the power supply, but perhaps I ought to get one, again just to be on the safe side.

I've found an Aspire power supply that has great reviews: Check it out.
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 07-19-2005 at 02:13 PM.

look on newegg's software section, you can get windows XP OEM for cheap... and a lot of other software packages (antivirus, etc)

I've never liked onboard sound cards, but who knows this one may work fine.

Re: New computer specs; let me run them by you all

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    That makes me ask another question: how do you guys get XP for your new computers? When you say you're building a $700 computer, does that include the OS? I doubt it. So, either you deactivate the old computer and install it on the new one; buy a new copy altogether, in which case the computer, when all said and done, costs about $1,000; or simply pirate a copy, which I'm not encouraging or saying that I'm going to do. Be honest, though; if you do pirate it, just admit it; you're not going to be banned or sued (just be subtle about it).
    Share your experiences!
    I signed up a while back for Microsofts Action Pack subscription, the renewal is $199 a year and it gets me copies of all the important stuff (and licenses). So I have 10 licenses of XP Pro, 10 of XP Media Center Edition, etc. Also get all the different server versions and Office. They ship the stuff out quarterly.

I've had good luck with ASUS boards although I havent used that particular model. Also always had good luck with Tyan boards. ASUS is more geared towards over-clocking and tinkering around, but the Tyan boards were always rock solid stable,

Back in my over-clocking and watercooling days I always preferred Mushkin memory over Corsair, always seemed to be able to go further and still stay stable.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Amazingly enough, to myself, your computer is strikingly similar to the one I'm building from Newegg.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Don't get the x800 pro, get the x800 XL. It's roughly equivalent to the x800 pro, but faster in pci-e. The XL was built for PCI-e where as the Pro was built for agp then ported over to the pci-e bus.

Also, don't get XMS memory unless you plan on heavy overclocking. Any Value ram will give you just as much preformance while costing much less.

Also, if you're going to get an SLI motherboard, you should just go with a nVidia card (6800 GT) because later on you'll be able to run two fo them in SLI. Buying an SLI board and running an ATI product is useless because you won't be able to run two of them until ATI comes out with the crossfire motherboards. Get the Asus A8N-Deluxe instead.

I just noticed that.. for about the same price might I suggest getting two of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145440
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Well i can't give advice .. but ATI's new cards are excellent from what i've heard the x800's are brilliant. That's going to be one fast machine!
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

My personal opinion is to go with a GeForce 6800 GT, or 7800 if your rich, I have the 6800 GT and love it, I had an X800 but returned it after having some issues with heat and with the FPS (6800 is nearly giving me 2x the FPS, and I've heard this from other people also, expecially in opengl games)

Re: New computer specs; let me run them by you all

Originally posted by SniperDevil

Since the new computer will probably run XP and this one will keep running Debian (I plan to buy an LCD monitor and a KVM switch), I also realized that I have to buy Windows as well, which will up the cost considerably. That's one enormous disadvantage of building your own computer; when you buy one, it almost always comes with a free copy of Windows XP, but when you build your own, you always have to spend $200-$300 -- or more -- to get friggin' XP -- even with "academic" discounts. Microsoft just pisses me off beyond words.

Check out LCD's on eBay. I bought an off brand 18" TV/LCD Combo from a reputable PowerSeller and this thing is brilliant. It's called ViewEra.

As far as the XP, this has worked for me three times:

I have many PC, some I don't use. After SP1, XP requires activation. Install XP. After 30 days, when prompted for activation, contact Microsoft (# is on activation screen). Give them the info they require and tell them you are installing XP on another PC. If asked it's for personal use.

You will give them a really long activation # (on your old pc or on the XP book :: certification #). They will read back a really long activation # back to you to activate XP.

From my understanding with the XP license, you can install on multiple PC's but only use one at a time.

This has worked for me!

The way the licensing works is if you change the hardware, your XP may require you to activate it again. So basically you are changing hardware :: you are
    Last edited by Sid Shroff; 07-19-2005 at 06:25 PM.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

If I need an upgrade, I go to a small local computer shop; they do it for about 50$

Re: Re: New computer specs; let me run them by you all

Originally posted by sid007

I have many PC, some I don't use. After SP1, XP requires activation. Install XP. After 30 days, when prompted for activation, contact Microsoft (# is on activation screen). Give them the info they require and tell them you are installing XP on another PC. If asked it's for personal use.

<snip>

From my understanding with the XP license, you can install on multiple PC's but only use one at a time.

This has worked for me!

The way the licensing works is if you change the hardware, your XP may require you to activate it again. So basically you are changing hardware :: you are [/B]
    XP requires activation Service Pack or not. The license states you may use one license per machine at a time. According to the agreement as I've understood it (for XP Pro anyway) the software cannot be installed on two machines legally without two licenses. Regardless on how many machines are used at the same time.

A legal purchase of an OEM copy of XP is supposed to require the concurrent purchase of hardware for the same machine. But I've posed this question to Microsoft Sales directly and even they seem unclear on what constitutes additional hardware. A new hard drive, a new mouse? I know that one doesn't need to purchase a complete new machine to buy OEM. Also last I checked Newegg.com didn't check for qualifying hardware when placing an order for OEM software.

Machine looks nice, BTW. And you got some awesome advice from several people participating in this thread!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Newegg puts a molex y-splitter in with the oem xp as "hardware" and you can't take it out even if you have other hardware.... it is free though.

Originally posted by esh
    look on newegg's software section, you can get windows XP OEM for cheap... and a lot of other software packages (antivirus, etc)
    Oh, thanks; I never put two and two together when I heard about XP OEM. Who would ever want retail then? It's so much more expensive!

Originally posted by esh
    I've never liked onboard sound cards, but who knows this one may work fine.
    Well, before I were to upgrade my sound card, I'd upgrade my speakers. Right now, I'm using stock Harman/Kardon speakers that came with my uncle's Dell Dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by trau
    I signed up a while back for Microsofts Action Pack subscription, the renewal is $199 a year and it gets me copies of all the important stuff (and licenses). So I have 10 licenses of XP Pro, 10 of XP Media Center Edition, etc. Also get all the different server versions and Office. They ship the stuff out quarterly.
    Hmm, that's an awesome deal. I spent 20 minutes updating my Passport account, signing up as a business partner, and finally getting to see the Action Pack thing; it's $299.00, but still an awesome deal, considering what you get as compared with many of the suckers who pay that much -- or more -- for each of those pieces of software. Then again, Microsoft can be expected to rip you off; this is what all that software should cost -- or less.

I've had good luck with ASUS boards although I havent used that particular model. Also always had good luck with Tyan boards. ASUS is more geared towards over-clocking and tinkering around, but the Tyan boards were always rock solid stable,
    Yeah, the board looks nice, though I'm not getting SLI at the moment -- probably not even a GeForce card -- so there's really no point in getting the board I chose.

Back in my over-clocking and watercooling days I always preferred Mushkin memory over Corsair, always seemed to be able to go further and still stay stable.
    I think both are good, but the XMS/ValueSelect looks like good RAM and is reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip-Dennis
    Amazingly enough, to myself, your computer is strikingly similar to the one I'm building from Newegg.
    Geniuses think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionStatic(Stevo)
    XP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16837102151

PS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817103908

That powersupply looks good too.

Just what i would recommend.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Antec has a great reputation, so I might get either that one or the Aspire, which is a bit cheaper and has even better reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosemeyer
    Don't get the x800 pro, get the x800 XL. It's roughly equivalent to the x800 pro, but faster in pci-e. The XL was built for PCI-e where as the Pro was built for agp then ported over to the pci-e bus.

Also, don't get XMS memory unless you plan on heavy overclocking. Any Value ram will give you just as much preformance while costing much less.

Also, if you're going to get an SLI motherboard, you should just go with a nVidia card (6800 GT) because later on you'll be able to run two fo them in SLI. Buying an SLI board and running an ATI product is useless because you won't be able to run two of them until ATI comes out with the crossfire motherboards. Get the Asus A8N-Deluxe instead.
    Thanks for those enlightening tips.

I read several reviews of the X800 Pro by people who said they got the X800 Pro to perform even better than the XL by overclocking it and simply unlocking the rest of the locked pipelines, and that's what I plan to do -- and I'll save at least $25.

Regarding the RAM, I plan on overclocking, just for fun and to see what I can do with it. For that reason specifically, I weighed both the ValueSelect and the XMS, but ultimately decided on the XMS.

It's good you pointed out that I can't use SLI with the X800. I'm still debating whether I ought to even get an SLI-enabled mobo. I'll probably never get around to or feel like putting in another video card anyways, so maybe it's pointless to get a mobo with it. Then again, I want my PC to be as comparable as possible to competitors in, say, a year.

Hmm, now I'm debating whether to go ATI vs. Nvidia. I had made up my mind, but now I'm not so sure. Then again, it doesn't really matter; both perform equally, as they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Plus, the X800Pro is $25 cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by sid007
    Check out LCD's on eBay. I bought an off brand 18" TV/LCD Combo from a reputable PowerSeller and this thing is brilliant. It's called ViewEra.
    I ordered a CRT (Samsung SyncMaster 753DF -- great monitor!) from eBay and have had absolutely no problems with it, so perhaps I'll check out eBay for my next (and first) LCD monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by sid007

You will give them a really long activation # (on your old pc or on the XP book :: certification #). They will read back a really long activation # back to you to activate XP.

This has worked for me!

The way the licensing works is if you change the hardware, your XP may require you to activate it again. So basically you are changing hardware :: you are
    Hmm, from what I understand, you can only use one license/CD per computer, though maybe you can do as you said, where you only have one on at a time.

Hey, wait, I believe I have a spare license of XP Home SP1 with my old (this) Dell, on which I currently am running Linux. Perhaps I can just use that disc and simply download SP 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CTG
    Machine looks nice, BTW. And you got some awesome advice from several people participating in this thread!
    Thanks! Yeah, when I get the minor kinks worked out, I think this will be a nice machine, and my first custom job.

SniperDevil,

http://www.anandtech.com has some really good forums you might want to check out for some of these details.

I really like NewEgg but I'm almost positive they charge tax for VA which will add to your system cost. You may find it cheaper to go with the same components but looking on

http://www.techbargains.com
    http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18
    http://forums.anandtech.com/categori...=40&entercat=y

to find deals on specific components. With rebates you can sometimes significantly reduce the cost of the components.

I don't know if you need an LCD monitor but Dell is practically giving them away. I just bought a 20" widescreen LCD with 12ms response for $434. Check out fatwallet and go to the dell store to see coupons and you can even get fatwallet cash back (about 3% of the purchase price) to reduce your cost even more.

I've been building my own systems for years. It's really pretty easy to do. Once you get all the components it only takes a couple of hours at most. The screws line up pretty easily and make sure you only put the support nuts in the places where the motherboard has mounting holes. One time I used an extra mounting nut and it was shorting out the MB.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 07-20-2005 at 03:53 AM.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site