View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about ModernBill?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer it

61 65.59%
  • I don't prefer it

32 34.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Modernbill... Good or Bad?

What are your thoughts about using ModernBill for a billing system?

I'd say satisfactory.
    E-wallet/E-commerce platform for sale! Fully ready to work solution,
    Tested by real merchants,
    Full kit, including software, company, bank accounts!
    Gmail: SS.sebserg@googlemail.com

Modernbill is very user friendly and they provide quick updates. Installation and upgrade is quite simple.

Many problems and the support team isnt very helpful.
    We do web hosting on the cloud. And we do it well. | catsnine.com

The overall review states that it’s having good support with large number of satisfied customers around.

Yes,

But those people may have no bugs

Never should have upgraded....
    We do web hosting on the cloud. And we do it well. | catsnine.com

I disagree. I won't reiterate my old posts... The support is usually not very good at answering my questions.
    And the interface is not user-friendly at all! It looks cool, but looking awesome is very different than being user-friendly.

And the interface for the customers is rediculous. No customer's billing department can figure it out without help unless they are techies.
    Plus we've been waiting for PDF support for years, still says "coming soon" on the forums....
    They might be the best option available but I'm hoping MB5 will address these concerns.

Yes i agree, the support is total crap.

I would not purchase modernbill if i had no knowledge of php. You will find you need to customise it ALOT.

Many of their modules are "half done".

Wait for 5.0 though i suspect it will be just as buggy as 4.x

I would say:

• Modernbill is a great system
    • Built-in SupportDesk Sucks
    • Built-in Affiliate System Sucks
    • Orderform is complex, customers not bright enough will not complete it sometimes, there are 1 Step Order forms though, Rorder.net
    • System is bulky not so easy to configure
    • No apparent support on the forums
    • They stopped to distribute the INTEGRATION with DRAMS/AWBS once they became a Competitor leaving some customers in the dark
    • Authorize.net eCheck integration has been delayed for long time
    • Stopped supporting an orderform (Vortech) because "Enom was getting too complex" when some of us, loved that one, and didn't used ENOM module's at all. It hasn't been distributed since 4.2 I believe. (I am pre 4.1)

Good, Complex system if you are planning to grow. No apparent competition for them, YET. I would say the closest to it is AWBS, which I also own, which I do not recommend yet because personally I do not feel confortable using it as a system.

I can say that with my dealings with Michael of ModernGigabyte he seems like a smart guy that wants the best for his clients, but he seems to be busy lately.

AWBS is a good system, but needs improvement. I have suggested several "add-ons" and feature requests, that some have taken and some have not. Hopefully they will someday add them. Their Forums for "Support" are almost like Modernbill's forum (mostly only members help other members but almost no response from official staff unless you submit a ticket).

I haven't used WHMA since a year ago, I am waiting for v3 to come out and check by myself if they have improved.

WhoisCart seems like a good system, but personally do not like their customer area.

Those are my experiences with Hosting Billing systems, the ones that are not on this list are because they are TOO DARN EXPENSIVE to test. Example: DeskPRO

Francisco
    ^_^

What's AWBS ?

Like any billing system, I found ModernBill total hell to configure. In the end, I contracted somebody to do the job (A very good job he did too).

Now it is all setup, it is a brilliant piece of kit in my opinion. I have used WHMAP, WhoisCart and phpcoin in my time, in my opinion, ModernBill surpasses them all.

Modernbill is very user friendly and they provide quick updates. Installation and upgrade is quite simple.
    OOOOH yeah, user friendly.... Not! Here's an example of how "user friendly" modernbill is (from a just downloaded demo).

Install:
    Login:
    go to system configuration, to configure the prefix (ie:mbusername) for admin logins.
    Remove the current mb
    Don't put anything there
    Save
    Logout:
    OOOOPS
    you're screwed, you can't log back in. Gee, real "user friendly" of someone there, to completely disable your system without any warning of "hey, don't do that", or "hey, that can't be done".

The package setup for modernbill is a complete and total nightmare. Back when I was actually setting these up for customers, I'd get 2-3 orders a month just for this. Why? Because it's not "user friendly" or easy to use, one bit.

The ordering setup for modernbill is allright, but I've seen MUCH better. No "cart" system, no multiple quantities of stuff, it's far from great.

The support? Yeah, modernbill and support. Anyone who's had a real mb issue knows exactly how long it takes them to get to support, days! Of course, this is slowly becoming the industry standard here
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

to be real , i love it ..
    or

maybe is because i move from clientexec to ModernBill everything just works and looks better..

alot of config tho but other then that is the best i wish i started using it first. Tother support is the worst

May be that few people might find it to be complex as far as configuring modernbill as per your individual needs is concerened...

But the modernbill guys have put a lot of effort to make the documentation/faq/forum discussion available on their website.

Once configured properly, trust me .. it rocks..

As far as the bugs are concerened, yep I do agree, sometimes there are problems after upgrading mb, but the only solution in this case is to contact their support so that they know the bugs and get it fixed !
    Vision Helpdesk : Customer Support Helpdesk Software
    ThinkSupport Solutions™ - ThinkSupport.com

Thinking of Support Solutions ... Think About US .....!!!

With version 5 coming soon, many are hoping for some great improvements as well!
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Modernbill works fine. However, with any software there is a learning curve. I believe the learning curve on Modernbill is steep.

Have I cursed MB? Yes. However, I have found most of the time it was my own lack of product knowledge.

Because my focus has been networking and engineer, billing and accounting are frustrating areas for me. However, I am learning to like the processes.

If you are interested in a Hosted Solution, I did have a lease on Ubersmith for a few months to test. I must say the product is simple but effective. Boo was the guy I dealt with there and he just rocks. I think there product is heading a certain direction and will be catching up to the others soon.

In closing, MB is a good product if you give it a chance. The road is rocky at first, but after you "learn" how she drives you can miss the chugholes.

Hope this helped.
    Jake Necessary
    ServerMotion
    If you need any help just ask me. See Profile for IM Info.

Just had to drop a comment about ModernBill's awful tech support. They've often NOT answered my questions or just answered one and ignored others. They've often taken a LONG time to reply.

Once, a tech there logged in to my system (with my permission) to fix a billing bug and he ended up invoicing my clients for future months prematurely. I had to eat a few chargebacks because of this gross incompetence.

I wish I had used another billing solution at this point.

Skeptical,

What billing product are you using now?
    Jake Necessary
    ServerMotion
    If you need any help just ask me. See Profile for IM Info.

Unfortunately, still ModernBill. It's not easy switching between products. All I can say is, don't count on their tech support staff. They're pretty bad.

Tried it, but it didn't come up to our expectations. So we are currently looking for a control panel which offers free but complete billing system.

Does Modern Bill support multiple currencies. For example if I wanted BOTH US$ currencies and say Pakistan Rupee to be defined. Needless to say, only one currency per package/bill?
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Originally posted by Babushka99
    Does Modern Bill support multiple currencies. For example if I wanted BOTH US$ currencies and say Pakistan Rupee to be defined. Needless to say, only one currency per package/bill?

No for that you need multiple licenses im sure.

Modernbill has its ups and downs, On the whole i would say its is great system for both user and admin when utilized and when you get used it. Many users struglle with doing stuff as simple as updating the billing info, I agree the interfernce is it worst feature. Even for a admiin its pretty tough but when your used it.... thats a different tale its amazing and dosent lack any features. I was quite intruiged by the Kayako intergration but in the end it was quite weak. Weve had no bugs so far and never had to contact support. On the whole i rate it 8/10 beating any other system out there. For V5 for me too rate it 10 the interference has to be alot simpler. Nevertheless a great solution
    Regards,

Originally posted by Saksher
    We are currently evaluating Hosting Controller, after using Plesk, Ensim and found HC with lots of features and they also have free billing system. And I believe they provide support for Pakistan Rupee besides Indian. Take a look at their 30 days trial version.
    No matter even if it supports Pakistan or Indian rupee .. the question was if modernbill can have two currencies configured simultaneously.

I doubt if HC has that feature as well ..

If it has, please let us know ..
    Vision Helpdesk : Customer Support Helpdesk Software
    ThinkSupport Solutions™ - ThinkSupport.com

Thinking of Support Solutions ... Think About US .....!!!

Well the answer I got directly from ModernBill is exactly what TheNapster cited. I would be required to have two installations...which I really don't mind (considering no other alternative available).

Suddenly it seems the hosting world billing solutio market is so small.
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

what about automatic creation of WHM reseller accounts (not only hosting accounts or domain registration), can they do it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast