Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry @!@#$% stole my car!

So I come out of the shopping mall last night, and my car is NO WHERE in sight. Quick trip around the parking lot with the security guys confirms that someone jacked my car.

Now who the **** in their right mind would jack a '92 Hond Civic? Not only is it practically worthless, but it also has alignment issues on the front tires, and acceleration is crap.

So I go file a police report at about 9:00pm, and go home.

I go to bed thinking Im probably never going to see my car again and actually quite happy with myself, as it gives me a reason to buy that new SRT-4 I've been checking out.

So I get a call in the middle of the night at 2:30am. The cops found it deserted in a parking lot about 150km away from where they took it. So go with a buddy and go down to pick it up. Now Im quite pieeved off, as I won't be back for a while. 150km 2 ways is 300km to drive.

So I finally get there, and the car is trashed. The body is screwed up, no thread left on the tires. I look inside and the ignition block is ripped to pieces, not to mention 2 windows being broken. EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) is gone from the inside, all my cd's and stuff is gone (how lame... ) and replaced with trash from McDonalds.

The car bearly starts, and starts giving off this clunking sound form the engine. I guess they shot they engine too... We start driving home, although somewhat slower than normal as I have no clue how much more this car can handle.

Just when things couldn't get worse, the car dies on the freeway at about 6:00am and won't start again. We call a tow truck, which takes another hour to get there. By the time it gets here and we get it all hooked up, its 7:30am.

I get home around 9:00am, with a completely trashed car. I was kind of hoping the cops wouldn't find it and I would get a nice insurance pay out... but now Im stuck with this piece of crap, that'll take at least another $1k-$2k to fix up.

I'll probably take it to the junk yard, collect my $50, and go buy that SRT-4 anyhow...

What a way to start the day.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

whats a bum deal , sorry about that.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

They did that much damage and stole your stuff, yet the insurance company won't pay up? That is horrible.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Originally posted by Tulip-Dennis
    They did that much damage and stole your stuff, yet the insurance company won't pay up? That is horrible.
    I'm guessing on a 92 Honda Civic, one wouldn't normally carry full coverage insurance. .. Liability insurance will only cover damage caused to another persons vehicle, property, or person by the insured.

That really is a bad deal man, but I can relate. I had someone steal a '79 Pontiac LeMans quite a few years ago. Talk about desperate. I laughed when the car caught on fire while they had it. I guess they thought the fire extinguisher laying in the passenger seat was just for "looks".

"Now who the **** in their right mind would jack a '92 Hond Civic? Not only is it practically worthless, but it also has alignment issues on the front tires, and acceleration is crap."

Kids..probably 15-16 years old. Sorry about your luck.

wont the insurance pay out for it?

Pheaton did you have the windows up? Or down? Where you live? As well sorry the cops found your car it would of been better for you if they did not it sounds like.

I hate when people do stupid things (trash other people stuff). .

Originally posted by Bully
    wont the insurance pay out for it?

Depends on what type of insurance you have. Like me I have the lowest insurance you can get, and it would never cover anything like that.

I normally don't bother rolling the windows up all the way, but this time I locked her up good. I parked in an under ground garage so I figured it would be best to lock up everything completely, lest some punk might get the wild idea of stealing it.

I live in the GTA of Toronto, but I was at a mall in Mississauga.

I'm not even going to go to the insurance company. Sure they might give me $500, but they'll have a reason to raise my insurance because I made a claim.

Now that I've taken a better look at it, the car is completely trashed. The steering wheel column / ignition block is totally ripped apart, the radio is gone and the cables ripped out, there's a crack in the windshield right down the center (how do you manage that? :???: ) and THE FREAKING REARVIEW MIRROR IS GONE. I mean come on! How long do you have to go to steal the rearview mirror?!?!
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!

Originally posted by Rman2003
    That really is a bad deal man, but I can relate. I had someone steal a '79 Pontiac LeMans quite a few years ago. Talk about desperate. I laughed when the car caught on fire while they had it. I guess they thought the fire extinguisher laying in the passenger seat was just for "looks".
    I don't get it.. why did it catch on fire?

Oh Pheaton ouch!

I believe civics, accords, and camrys are the most stolen cars or at least up there.

SRT-4? Is that the new Neon's?

http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/

They look nice but not if it's a Neon

For around $20K, I'd check out Mazda 3 starting @ $15 or the 6 starting at $20.

My brother just got a brand new Altima for $15. Someone totaled his WRX.

Anyways, the brand new Altimas are really nice to. Maximas are great but too overpriced.

GL!
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Heh, I guess that is worse than when my neighbor did a hit and run on my car 3 days ago...

Originally posted by sid007
    Oh Pheaton ouch!

I believe civics, accords, and camrys are the most stolen cars or at least up there.

SRT-4? Is that the new Neon's?

http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/

They look nice but not if it's a Neon

For around $20K, I'd check out Mazda 3 starting @ $15 or the 6 starting at $20.

My brother just got a brand new Altima for $15. Someone totaled his WRX.

Anyways, the brand new Altimas are really nice to. Maximas are great but too overpriced.

GL!
    SRT-4 is the neon's successor, and the Viper's little brother. But the Mazda 3 only has 160HP and the SRT-4 has just a hair over 260HP. I need to power to do burn outs at 80km/h.

Originally posted by sid007

GL!
    I'd agree with you on the Nissan part. Get an Altima or an old Maxima. I have a 97 maxima.... runs AMAZING (GREAT acceleration, and holds up awesomely). Everything still works, and to be honest, unless I told you it was from 97 or you knew something about cars, you'd never know it wasn't brand new. The *STOCK* sound system is bose and sounds amazing, hard to believe it's stock when I'm definately comparable to people with brand new alpine systems. And as a used car, very cheap, hold up great. I'd say go for an early 00s maxima, if you want the best bang for your buck. They kinda eat gas though.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Originally posted by ilyash
    I don't get it.. why did it catch on fire?
    There was a crack in the engine block, and it leaked oil right around the dipstick. Hot engine + oil = fire. I'd have to pop the hood once I got to school and blow the flame out, usually on a daily basis. Can't complain much though, I only gave $100 for it, AND they threw in 4 new tires.

Regardless, this is Pheaton's thread, and I'm sure we'd all hate to be in that position.

There was a crack in the engine block, and it leaked oil right around the dipstick. Hot engine + oil = fire. I'd have to pop the hood once I got to school and blow the flame out, usually on a daily basis. Can't complain much though, I only gave $100 for it, AND they threw in 4 new tires.
    Not a bad price... less than a dedicated server... did you get the fire extinguisher free as well?

was there no way you could seal the hole with something?
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

Sorry to hear that mate Dont worry anyways after a bad day.. A Good Day will come! Cheen Up mate
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, yet somehow I believe this experience will be positive, either in the short- or long-run. Perhaps you'll just get that SRT-4 you've always wanted.

I'll be looking for a car in six or so months, when I get my license. I wonder what kind I should get. I don't think I'm going to spring for a new car, as I don't feel like wasting my entire salary on it. Perhaps I'll just get a used Honda or Acura, or maybe even a 1980s BMW, though used Bimmers are extremely unreliable. Xshare, your Nissan sounds nice; perhaps I'll check one out, as I too have heard good things about the [NEW; the old, old ones are crap] Maximas and Altimas.

Woah, I am happy I live in a city with low violence. Like getting your car stolen around here is SOO rare. Sorry to hear what happened to you.

I am sorry this happened to you. Hope they will catch those theif.
    Did they get the finger print on the mcdonald bags?

Most likely they did, it would be pretty dumb not to. Like honestly.. would they really leave gloves on eating a BigMac?

Originally posted by Pheaton
    SRT-4 is the neon's successor, and the Viper's little brother. But the Mazda 3 only has 160HP and the SRT-4 has just a hair over 260HP. I need to power to do burn outs at 80km/h.
    Sweet Vipers little brother :: lol :: Maybe sister :p

http://images.google.com/images?q=sr...en&sa=N&tab=wi

Not too bad looking and very nice under the hood. It's just that it looks like a redesigned Neon.

I've always wanted a 300z or the supra but settled for my RX300 (2000), low miles, sharp!

I used to have a '94 Maxima. Great car, very reliable, awesome factory bose, decent mileage.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Perhaps I'll just get a used Honda or Acura, or maybe even a 1980s BMW, though used Bimmers are extremely unreliable.
    I was about to say, old beemers are very unreliable. If you want luxury I suggest go with Infinity or Acura.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Civics are stolen most often because they are damn good cars. You can run them forever. We have a 1992 Honda Civic actually and we can't find spare parts at the junk yard for them...like you would normal cars of that age. Why? Because they never freakin die!

We have to pay full price for things like a hatchback post thing (the one that holds the hatchbackup), etc.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Civics are stolen most often because they are damn good cars.
    Indirectly that plays a role, but of course car thieves don't really care whether a car is a "good car." Civics are stolen frequently because there are a lot of them around, so there's a big used parts market. Generally the most frequently stolen cars fall into two groups -- either they're expensive and exotic (the BMW M-Coupe is second on the latest list) so they can be resold whole overseas, or they're common and don't have a lot of differences in parts over a period of years. Those cars come into demand after they're a few years old, because brand new models generally get brand new replacement parts under warranty or insurance but older cars will get used or aftermarket parts.

But in this case it wasn't a pro chop-shop feeding theft; apparently just a joyride. In that case older cars are prime bait, because they're a lot easier to break into and to start by going through the steering column when you don't have a key.

Joy riders, Get a buzz from stealing and playing with death.
    Lame and insane

That sucks. If i were you, I would immediately come up with a scheme to gain retribution.

It'd be tricky, but I'll bet you could find the people who stole it.

It sucks that people steal other peoples stuff.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    That sucks. If i were you, I would immediately come up with a scheme to gain retribution.

It'd be tricky, but I'll bet you could find the people who stole it.
    You know I was actually thinking of going back there and leaving the same car in the same damn spot. Then watch them from my other car, and call the cops as soon as they take it.

I think I figured out how they blew the engine now... the clunking sounds are coming directly inside the engine, which makes me think that either one of the valves are broken off, or one of the pistons ripped out. I can just see them shifting it into 1st or 2nd gear and flooring it down the highway...

Hope things will turn around for you after this car's incident, be sure to take some pictures of the new SRT-4 for us when you get it
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by awibble
    Not a bad price... less than a dedicated server... did you get the fire extinguisher free as well?

was there no way you could seal the hole with something?
    LOL, No, the fire extinguisher didn't come with the car. I had to provide my own.

Since the engine block was cracked, I guess I could have tried to JB Weld it, but it was pretty much shot. The car wouldn't get over 35-40MPH anyway. It was just a beater to get me back and forth to school and work. *shrug* Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Didn't they fingerprint the car for ya? Most the time these idiots will have prior convictions and it would be easy to match them up in the database.

*shrug* Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.
    Very true, but to me, insuring and registering a $100 car is hardly worth it, considering the insurance would probably be several times the cost of the car and the registration fees would probably be almost the cost of it!

Very true, but to me, insuring and registering a $100 car is hardly worth it, considering the insurance would probably be several times the cost of the car and the registration fees would probably be almost the cost of it!
    Liability insurance at the time was about $60/month, and I don't recall what the registration fees were. Probably about $30 or so.

But hey, I'd much rather drive than walk, and it's more than some people have at 17. It was the first vehicle that I bought with my own money, and I can say that regardless of condition, I was proud of that car.

Of course, I've come a LONG way since then, and will not be driving any vehicles that self-ignite if I can help it. I much prefer my extended cab Dodge Ram 4x4.

Originally posted by varg
    Didn't they fingerprint the car for ya? Most the time these idiots will have prior convictions and it would be easy to match them up in the database.
    cops are lazy or apparently too busy to do things that are probably common sense to most people?

i remember when i had my house broken into, do you think the police took fingerprints?
    nope.

it happens all to often, makes you think they don't care.

come to think of it a reason why they probably didn't is, if they didn't catch em in the act, it's likely they got away with it and the police probably couldn't prosecute them, even if they wanted.
    Last edited by nuthin; 07-20-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sid007
    I was about to say, old beemers are very unreliable. If you want luxury I suggest go with Infinity or Acura.
    We currently have a 2003 Acura 3.2 TL Type-S that we're leasing. We'll probably buy it, as it's a nice, reliable, comfortable, semi-luxurious car with a DVD navigation system. I think they'll want about $18k after 39 months, which isn't all that bad.

Liability insurance at the time was about $60/month, and I don't recall what the registration fees were. Probably about $30 or so.

But hey, I'd much rather drive than walk, and it's more than some people have at 17. It was the first vehicle that I bought with my own money, and I can say that regardless of condition, I was proud of that car.

Of course, I've come a LONG way since then, and will not be driving any vehicles that self-ignite if I can help it. I much prefer my extended cab Dodge Ram 4x4.
    Many people don't have a car period, so in that respect, you were lucky to have one at age 17. Regardless, most of us don't think of things in that way; we only compare ourselves to the top, because we're privileged people. I doubt there is any poor WHT member. Poor, relative to WHT, in my opinion, means making or being raised in a household where the family income is less than, say, $60,000-$75,000 (adjusted for inflation).

I don't think I want a pickup truck, personally, because I like to sprawl out and have a lot of space in which to put things. Also, sedans are more fun to drive and get much better gas mileage. Perhaps if it were for a second car, I'd get a pickup to haul and tow things, but they wouldn't be my first choice for a primary car.

What do you use yours for?

Many people don't have a car period, so in that respect, you were lucky to have one at age 17. Regardless, most of us don't think of things in that way; we only compare ourselves to the top, because we're privileged people. I doubt there is any poor WHT member. Poor, relative to WHT, in my opinion, means making or being raised in a household where the family income is less than, say, $60,000-$75,000.

I don't think I want a pickup truck, personally, because I like to sprawl out and have a lot of space in which to put things. Also, sedans are more fun to drive and get much better gas mileage. Perhaps if it were for a second car, I'd get a pickup to haul and tow things, but they wouldn't be my first choice for a primary car.

What do you use yours for?
    First of all, I wouldn't consider myself lucky to have a car at 17. I busted my *** for that car. It wasn't handed to me.

By your definition of "poor". I was not raised in a "poor" family. Both parents retired before 40, thanks to the stock market, and 17 years of factory work prior to that. However, I have never, nor will ever expect anything to be handed to me or ask for more than a parent would be expected to provide.

I've had at least a part-time job since I was 14, working for cash at a local pizza joint. Before that, the typical paper route and lawn mowing. If there's one thing that my parents taught me, it was respect for actually earning a living instead of being some spoiled little rich brat who expects everything handed to them just because it can be. Sure, I probably could have drove a beamer at 16 had I whined until I got one, but what lesson would that have taught me? I guarantee my kids won't have one either. And if they do, they'd better have one hell of a paper route. LOL.

Anyway, back to the truck. The extended cab is pretty much rendered useless because it's taken up by a sub and a couple amplifiers. As for what I use the truck for, mostly pulling the boat, hauling lumber, moving stuff against my will for the girlfriend (lol), playing in the mud, and other miscellaneous tasks that require a truck.

I have to admit though, gas IS terrible. It takes about $45 to fill it up on regular unleaded, and it usually lasts less than a week. Of course, I do quite a bit of driving. Thankfully, I also have a Taurus which is much much better on gas and used for longer trips.

First of all, I wouldn't consider myself lucky to have a car at 17. I busted my *** for that car. It wasn't handed to me.

By your definition of "poor". I was not raised in a "poor" family. Both parents retired before 40, thanks to the stock market, and 17 years of factory work prior to that. However, I have never, nor will ever expect anything to be handed to me or ask for more than a parent would be expected to provide.

I've had at least a part-time job since I was 14, working for cash at a local pizza joint. Before that, the typical paper route and lawn mowing. If there's one thing that my parents taught me, it was respect for actually earning a living instead of being some spoiled little rich brat who expects everything handed to them just because it can be. Sure, I probably could have drove a beamer at 16 had I whined until I got one, but what lesson would that have taught me? I guarantee my kids won't have one either. And if they do, they'd better have one hell of a paper route. LOL.
    After reading that, lots of respect Rman! Wish more people at your age would think and act the way you do.

Bummer about the car - then again, go get that SRT-4
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Originally posted by DreamLevel
    After reading that, lots of respect Rman! Wish more people at your age would think and act the way you do.

Bummer about the car - then again, go get that SRT-4
    Thanks for the compliment, and just to clarify, "my age" would be 23.

39. Firstly I apologize for bringing up a relatively old thread.

Pheaton, didn't you have a car alarm system on your car?
    I mean its pretty insane to have a civic without a decent alarm system, especially if youre living in a high crime area.

How did the guys break into the car if its at a big mall?
    I mean if they were to smash the windows it would have attracted a lot of attention wouldn't it? Did they pick the locks?

Rman2003, you earned my respect. I wouldn't drive a self-igniting car even if I were paid to do so. That is insane. Imagine you telling the valet parking guy as he got into the car "Hey buddy, did I tell you that my car self-ignites? When that happens, just pop the hood and blow the flame out. Good luck!"
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

I had a 94 civic automatic sedan. I believe Honda had the same shape from 92-95.

We had the car for 10 years and it never broke down once. Had 150,000 miles on the clock. My dad had saved the car for me for when i get my license. It was like a dream car for me. He spent about 800 on buying new parts etc. as well so it was pretty fast.

In the 10 years we have had the car, people have tried to steal it 6 times, of which all attempts failed. It wasn't your standard european model but a japan import.

I crashed it 4 months after it was given to me. The repair work would cost 1,500 to fix. The insurance company paid out 2,000 for it (although it was worth about 900). So i was very pleased with the payout.

Dad bought me a Ford Focus for 9.5k. Although it's much smoother than the honda and just performs much better, i really miss that honda . All my friends miss it as well. It wasn't the best of all cars, but no matter how much i abused the engine it just kept on ticking.

As soon as I finish university, i'm buying the latest Honda Accord.

Just a quick fact: Did you know Honda are so sure of themselves that they actually don't test any car or spend any money on testing the vehicles?
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast