Legal Options and/or scenarios about ownership - problem

I wasnt sure about this topic, But I couldnt find anywhere else to put this.

Perhaps some of you have been through it.

I operated a website for 3+ years under the domain of a friend. My friend owned the domain while I webmastered the complete site. My friend never did anything on this website and only supplied the domain.

We never signed any type of ownership options for this site, and it was just myself and him with this dedicated server.

Well, him and myself have had a falling out and I am building a new site elsewhere, however he claims to have 100% ownership of all the files and information.

He paid for the server and the domain. He owned them prior to me coming aboard. However, it was just a friend giving a friend some space.

Does he legally have any entitlement to any of the files or properties that I created and installed on that server? Like I said, we didnt sign a thing for any type of ownership at all.

Should it be something as simple as, "him allowing me to store this stuff in his garage.. and that doesnt give him a right a ownership."

Anyone been through anything of this nature?

Personally, if you you authored and conceptualised the files making up the website then you, and you alone have full ownership over them, unless overriden by some other written agreement.

As for the name of the site, or access to resource, that it at the discretion of the other guy, but he cannot use your files, or modify them in theory, provided you can prove you have written/authored the documents alone, since presence on his hardware may indicate ownership in the absence of any other proof.

basically, try to make sure you can prove that you alone authored the website files.

My aunt is going through something very similar right now. Her charity organisation's website was setup & hosted by a trustee ( website design was donated by a design firm ), and after a falling out, he is leaving and has told her that she will need to set up another site on her own.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

The problem is are the files worth the legal trouble? His lawyer will allege that you developed the files in exchange for free hosting; essentially you were being paid to develop them. Therefore copyright and ownership belongs to your ex-friend.

That doesn't sound like the situation but its going to be hard to prove otherwise.
    Matthew Winship
    15 Minute Servers / Net Access Corp.
    www.15minuteservers.com
    www.nac.net

If I've learned one thing in life, it's that forums and legal advice do not go together well.

If you're have legal trouble, seek the advice of a lawyer. Forums generally only cloud the issue, as it's unlikely that anyone here has passed the bar exam. Additionally, law varies from state to state and what someone may believe to be true in one state, is not necessarily true in another.

Seek legal representation, consultation fees are generally fairly affordable, though any necessary litigation is generally not.

Regards,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

if you need to prove that you uploaded and managed the site then get the raw logs of your site. the IP stored there (with ftp upload) is from your computer. just my 2 cents.

Doesn't matter if he uploaded or even built it. Depends on the nature of the relationship.

Disclaimer: Sam is right none of us are really qualified so seek professional advice. I am just saying this is my view.

If I have a staff member who makes my website and receives consideration (payment, services etc) then the site belongs to me. Even if no consideration is given ie.. volunteer development work to learn or just a favour, the court should side with the owner of the domain as they are the named individual or organization who really has a claim to that name.

So my view to the threadstarter would be (using his analogy):

If you helped him build the garage, the garage belongs to him.

If you left your bicycle in that garage its still yours if you are no longer on speaking terms your still entitled to the bike.

If the files in question have to do with the site, they are his if they have to do with somethign unrelated they are yours.

So sayeth the non lawyer whos wife who is a laywer and wont pick up her cell phone so I could ask her.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

mmm but if I publish my own developped software on his web site this doesnt mean that the software belongs to him. Fortunately in that case its easy to prove because he just doesnt have the source code.

Am I not right to say that the files belong to the creator unless a written contract stating otherwise with regard to the transfer of ownership is in place?

Check out lawguru.com for free legal adivce

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    Doesn't matter if he uploaded or even built it. Depends on the nature of the relationship.

Disclaimer: Sam is right none of us are really qualified so seek professional advice. I am just saying this is my view.

If I have a staff member who makes my website and receives consideration (payment, services etc) then the site belongs to me. Even if no consideration is given ie.. volunteer development work to learn or just a favour, the court should side with the owner of the domain as they are the named individual or organization who really has a claim to that name.

So my view to the threadstarter would be (using his analogy):

If you helped him build the garage, the garage belongs to him.

If you left your bicycle in that garage its still yours if you are no longer on speaking terms your still entitled to the bike.

If the files in question have to do with the site, they are his if they have to do with somethign unrelated they are yours.

So sayeth the non lawyer whos wife who is a laywer and wont pick up her cell phone so I could ask her.
    Actually, my understanding of copyright law in the US (from hours and hours of reading Groklaw, so don't take this as 'the word' ), is that you cannot lose your copyright by mere inference. Copyright stays with the author until specifically assigned otherwise.

If you hire a website designer, you'd better be sure to get it in contract that all developed works are fully owned by you and that the copyrights are transfered.

(a) A transfer of copyright ownership, other than by operation of law, is not valid unless an instrument of conveyance, or a note or memorandum of the transfer, is in writing and signed by the owner of the rights conveyed or such owner's duly authorized agent.

(b) A certificate of acknowledgment is not required for the validity of a transfer, but is prima facie evidence of the execution of the transfer if —

(1) in the case of a transfer executed in the United States, the certificate is issued by a person authorized to administer oaths within the United States; or

(2) in the case of a transfer executed in a foreign country, the certificate is issued by a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States, or by a person authorized to administer oaths whose authority is proved by a certificate of such an officer.
    Source: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html#204

Sure, morals would dictate that if someone pays you for a design ('product') then you should give them ownership, but the law makes it a bit more 'quirky' fro my understanding.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs