* Considering Ubersmith

Well, Lpanel sucks, as they don't show any type of care for their customers, nor do they like responding to tickets in a descent amount of time (especially with the critical problems I am having), and the there are no other billing managers that will transfer Lpanel data, so Ubersmith is the choice I think I am going to have to go with. (Ubersmith lite)

I sent them a sales e-mail regarding anti-fraud systems, and if they could possibly make a downloadable (if they don't want to make it global) addon for VarilogiX FraudCall, because they have no type of fraud prevention systems integrated. If they can do this, than I am definitely signing up.

I am also not really understanding how their ordering form system works, although I get the idea that you have to downloadthe order form, and post it to your website template, which I do not like. I also do not see an indications that ubersmith supports reseller account creation, as there arn't any configurations for it based on the demo.

I will be calling ubersmith later this morning and ask some questions about transfering over and about the reseller compatability with WHM.

If you have any experience with ubersmith, please post all details you can, as I am hoping to get all feedback possible about the company, and your experience with their application.

Thank you
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Yikes, just found out it's hosted

3. U can get the owned version.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Yes, however it will still be hosted. They are releasing their downloadable version in the end of summer, as boo said over the phone. And according to what he told me, the next release will be at the end of fall, which will include a lot of new features, and addons such as VarilogiX FraudCall and what not. He didn't tell me exactly what would be on it, but my main inquiry was regarding fraud, as we are a customer of FraudCall, and I am not comfortable with them not having support for any type of anti-fraud systems.

I also just found out they have no reseller support. I think I will have to wait until they get these features in before I can move over to them.

Man, we need new billing managers in this industry.

6. An owned software that is hosted???
    Hmmmmm, its pretty misleading then.
    I am wondering how many people signed up for the owned license with the idea that its going to be hosted on their own servers just to find out otherwise.
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Well they are releasing their downloadable version at the end of the summer, so current customers can look forward for that. I am so tempted to signing up, just to get away from Lpanel, but it seems I will have to wait until Fall.

8. But hey I heard that the Lpanel guys are getting their acts together.
    Seeing more positive reviews about em.
    Didn't you notice an improvement in their support and their application?

Well Roy, at first I did, now they are back to the way they were. No responses until 5-10 days after you submit your inquiry. The system has less bugs then before, however still doesn't perform as it should. Example, it's supposed to send reminder invoices before the billing date. It doesn't. It's supposed to issue a invoice x days before the billing date. It doesn't. There are also dead ends in the script. They try to prioritize their new customers before the old customers in my personal opinion which is why they may be having faster replies (just to keep the customers).

Hi there,

Are there any other systems you like, and is it just the Lpanel transfer that you need? If that's the case, you could try looking on these forums to see what's available.

Alternatively, you could just hang on until the beginning of September, and see what pops up I can't say any more though, it'd be classed as an advertising violation here

Good luck!

I'll send you a PM. Also, I am willing to wait until Ubersmith releases their new version, because I really do like the panels. It's better than MB, LP, WHMAP and Drams in my opinion. ClientExec has the most professional theme.

Originally posted by GTX Network
    Alternatively, you could just hang on until the beginning of September, and see what pops up I can't say any more though, it'd be classed as an advertising violation here
    Let's let's hear all about the upcoming vapourware flavor of the day.

Between the "coming soon!" features of modernbill (version 5), whm autopilot (version 3), and lpanel (version 2.6 or whatever)... I'd love to hear about the fictional features of whatever software you're hawking that are worth "hanging on" until the beginning of September.

Blah.
    Last edited by mrzippy; 07-21-2005 at 03:05 AM.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

13. GTX Network , are you part of the ubersmith team?

Roy, I don't think he works for them.

15. He mentioned something about advertising violation which implies that he is either affiliated with Ubersmith or confused about the WHT rule.
    As far as I know there isn't any rule that states that you cant mention other people's products/URL.

I think he may of been talking about his own system that he may have been developing or is helping. It doesn't sound like he works with them though.

OMG! SEE!! These are the reasons I hate Lpanel so bad, and am trying to get out. Right now, they did something in their varilogix script, which is GLOBALLY on every copy of Lpanel messing up. So now we have to disable varilogix in order for a pre-customer to signup which we do not even know if they are valid (unless we do a manual call). They havnt replied to any tickets, and forum threads, and have not fixed the issue yet.

Lpanel... a self-making bug billing system, avoid.

18. Well I think when you upgrade to a version that you think is decent, stop right there.
    Don't upgrade so you wouldn't run into problems if they messed up the varilogix and what nots in the new version.

Roy, I am confused... what do you mean upgrading?

20. I meant update. My bad.
    Well I was just trying to say "If it aint broke dont update it"
    Stick to a version that works for you.

And you said that when they edit their varilogix script, it screwed up every installations of Lpanel on the planet. How is that so?
    You script run on your machine, not theirs. And Varilogix module is supposed to interact directly with Varilogix, no tthrough the LPanel website.

I didn't update my version. I am on the latest stable. Also, Lpanel makes a sync with the main Lpanel server and updates files. So if they tampered with it, it tampers with everyone's configs for those who have Lpanel check for updates every night.

Well in the end, I had to make a instant decison to move from Lpanel, as we couldn't take anymore of their load, so we switched over to ModernBill, which has been very easy for me to setup, but it just takes a while.

ModernBill will be keeping us for a while

We tried Ubersmith, albeit it is a nice piece of software, there is a ot left to be desired as far as functionality is concerned. We had quite a few minor issues with it - I guess you could call it the learning curve hurdles, etc., but still those minor annoyances were enough to keep up away from it - until such a time as the application becomes more mature.

UI needs to improve as well as the user-interaction.

My 2 cents....

Faisal
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Yeah, that's exactly why I didn't go with them. It's just too much missing. No anti-fraud systems in place, no reseller account support, and the form is very basic as well. They are to be releasing the downloadable version next month (it will have no new updates) and they are releasing a new version all together in November, which is supposed to have these functionalities. I am just not willing to wait that long. Now that I got ModernBill configured just the way I want it, this is the best possible billing system to have, although I hated it before because it takes so long to put customers in it. Version 5 is to have a importing section for other billing managers (don't quote me, it's just something I've heard). Lpanel is a very difficult system to import because their database data is so scrambled. I think LP did this on purpose just to make it a hastle for people to get away from them, but once you do, you won't regret the work put in to move everything out of it.

Lpanel's management really needs to get it together. Internally and the system itself, but mostly internally.

What's bad about hosted? Just curious...

Bad about hosted: You don't have ultimate control. You can tweak things and trouble shooting can be harder. You have to rely on other people to install things like SSL

Good about hosted: You don't have to worry about uptime/security as they are the ones woken in the middle of the night. (which for me was enough to go for Ubersmith)

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Originally posted by vaserv
    Bad about hosted: You don't have ultimate control. You can tweak things and trouble shooting can be harder. You have to rely on other people to install things like SSL

Good about hosted: You don't have to worry about uptime/security as they are the ones woken in the middle of the night. (which for me was enough to go for Ubersmith)

Rus
    that isnt a good reason to go with hosted, doesnt that mean that there will be more downtime in total
    the downtime on your system means that your clients cant access it
    the downtime on their system means that your clients cant access it

i know that downtime may only be something like 0.1% in total, but this is shouldnt go under the "good about hosted" category

Quote Originally Posted by chess
    that isnt a good reason to go with hosted, doesnt that mean that there will be more downtime in total
    the downtime on your system means that your clients cant access it
    the downtime on their system means that your clients cant access it

i know that downtime may only be something like 0.1% in total, but this is shouldnt go under the "good about hosted" category
    Downtime on your system does not mean that clients can't access it. I'm not quite sure why it would mean that?

Moreover, the point is moot because now they have a downloadable version!

Cheers,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Ubersmith looks good, but I prefer Modernbill/WHMAP
    *100th post!*

Just my two cents here...

The ubersmith guys are fantastic. Nice people who genuinely care about the product they put out to the public. Does it lack some features? Sure. The thing is that what it does, it does well and without the worry of becoming broken with an upgrade. I'd love to see fraud prevention, an order queue and more integration with the device manager but those are items that are coming. I know when they are available they will work.

The question you have to ask yourself is...do you want the latest greatest widget in your software even if it sacrifices reliability or would you rather wait until technology is proven and integrated properly? Keep in mind that this is your billing software, the most important piece of software you have for your business.

Again, just my two cents
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation