View Poll Results: Should the U.N. have control over the Internet, or should the U.S. control?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • The United States should keep control.

27 50.00%
  • The U.N. should control it.

5 9.26%
  • An International Non-prof should be created to control it.

19 35.19%
  • I don't care!

3 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

U.N. Panel Presents 4 Internet Options

I never realized that the internet was such a big topic with the United Nations. This article is interesting. http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050715/D8BBO8U00.html
    PJT HOSTING - Drop on by.

Ack! The U.N. with control over the Internet? A scary thought, indeed!

o no..the UN will take over the world
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

USA

This might sound short-sighted, but I don't believe anyone should control the Internet.

The Internet is a bunch of peoples' private networks hooked together. It wasn't government built, or (particularly) taxpayer-funded.

On the other hand, some regulating body isn't a horrible idea: there could be big problems if people make up their own IPs and domain names, the "Internet" for one person might be entirely different from another.

Ugh, this isn't so simple, is it?

USA, and I hope you do realize MyWay is considered spyware to most.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

At this point, I believe a regulatory body is necessary, but I don't believe it belongs in the hands of an American agency, specifically. If some magically impartial, nonprofit regulatory organization were to take control of things, I would be content, but every supposedly nonprofit organization has its own agenda -- whether it's restricting access to "sensitive" material, enforcing more and stricter policies, or collecting more information from its participants.

The internet should be regulated by an independent body but only for things like domain names, ip etc but not the actual content of it.

I know its a bad example I am giving here but here goes... its like traffic police regulating the traffic making sure drivers are on the right lane, wearing seat belts and not drinking etc but what car the driver is driving should not matter to them.

i think it should be an independant body; i dont think it should be monitoroed or censored actually, i mean its the free exchange of information ;p
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Imagine if Bill Gates controlled the Internet. That deserves a lol.

The internet would not be where it is today without Gates. Granted, somebody else would have eventually built such a system. However, he built it first. If someone had done it even ten years later, we would currently be 10 years behind where we are now..

Granted, somebody "might" have built a better system, or it could have been worse. They could have been more lenient, or they could have been more controlling..

USA

What change something that doesn't need change?

In order of preference:

1. USA maintain control
    2. International Non-Profit Org
    3. Almost anyone else
    4. Neighbors dog
    5 .....
    absolute last choice, UN
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by trau
    In order of preference:

1. USA maintain control
    2. International Non-Profit Org
    3. Almost anyone else
    4. Neighbors dog
    5 .....
    absolute last choice, UN
    Shhh!!!!!!!!!!! Now the UN will say "well, at least we're ON THE LIST!"

Isn't the whole idea of the internet to have it completely decentralized, so that no one controls it?

Originally posted by owocki
    Isn't the whole idea of the internet to have it completely decentralized, so that no one controls it?
    What's wrong with how it's setup right now?

Originally posted by Rob83
    Shhh!!!!!!!!!!! Now the UN will say "well, at least we're ON THE LIST!"

True, but they'd have to fight the neighbors dog over it and she's smarter then them.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I think the neighbor's dog is a good choice.

Honestly, why mess with something that apparantly works so well.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- dburling@ts-host.com -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Originally posted by owocki
    Somebody has to control it in one way or another, though. We need ICANN to control domain names. We need the root servers to hold the information for said domain names. We need ARIN and RIPE and APNIC and all of the other registries to control IP addresses. It just so happens that most of these organizations are situated in the United States, with the exception of RIPE, APNIC, and the other international number registries.

Originally posted by SW-Ray
    Somebody has to control it in one way or another, though. We need ICANN to control domain names. We need the root servers to hold the information for said domain names. We need ARIN and RIPE and APNIC and all of the other registries to control IP addresses. It just so happens that most of these organizations are situated in the United States, with the exception of RIPE, APNIC, and the other international number registries.
    Good point. But that being said, it's not like one centralized organization controls the internet.

EDIT:

The root zone server operators[1], collectively, exert the most "control" over the internet. Luckily for us, the operators take their jobs as stewards very seriously and today we enjoy a very robust DNS (13 root operators, most with lots of machines located throughout the world).

The US Department of Commerce controls very top level changes to the root, which seems to be the primary objection of governments elsewhere in the world, hence this UN process to discuss "Internet Governance".

The WGIG report offers WSIS 4 models for "Internet Governance", but of course, nothing says WSIS won't consider other models, or move on to other discourses without doing anything. It remains to be seen

David
    (This post does not represent his employer or his employer's views.)

[1] That is, operators of the US DoC-controlled root, which is what most Americans think of as "the internet". There are other roots, and operators who run zone servers in those other roots.
    Last edited by garp74; 07-20-2005 at 12:46 AM.

Isn't the UN an international non-profit organisation? So what's the difference between option 2 and 3?
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by Knogle
    Isn't the UN an international non-profit organisation? So what's the difference between option 2 and 3?
    The UN also handles other affairs, option #3 would make a special organization just for the Internet and they'd probably be a board of directors from different countries (identical to the setup of the UN).

Best I can think of, IANA controls the 'net, the US certainly does not. Beyond that, nobody really "controls" the Internet, any country can potentially delink at any given time (in theory) and there would definatly be issues surrounding such a decision, but its not like the 'net would stop working all of a sudden, nor is it possible for any country (the US included) to force action over the 'net, etc.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Originally posted by fog
    This might sound short-sighted, but I don't believe anyone should control the Internet.

The Internet is a bunch of peoples' private networks hooked together. It wasn't government built, or (particularly) taxpayer-funded.

On the other hand, some regulating body isn't a horrible idea: there could be big problems if people make up their own IPs and domain names, the "Internet" for one person might be entirely different from another.

Ugh, this isn't so simple, is it?
    that is incorrect. it was funded - researched and built by the us governement. it was set up to be a network of communication that could survive a nuclear war. then it was allowed to proliferate to private enterprise and then allowed to proliferate internationally.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast