MySpace bought for $580m

Holy crapola. Where was I 10 years ago...
    ии Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ии
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

That is unbelievable.

Hahahaha. That is amazing. I guess this gives an idea of how much they pull in advertising rev.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

mySpace was a good idea, huh? Basically give non-tech users a simple presense on the web.

And now MSN Space, Yahoo 360 is jumping in too.

Come to think of it, it wouldn't be too hard for anyone to come up with a site similar to myspace, the only difference we are late.

Guess what I've been working on since January?

IMHO this is the perfect time for a new service to launch--MySpace works poorly, and MSN Space/Yahoo 360 are not out yet.

Im soon to be working on a new myspace theme editor, interesting..

FOX bought them?
    Dang.

MySpace has so much traffic that its servers are constantly overloaded. Everytime I am there I always experience some kind of error.

Anyways MySpace is very neat and Genuine. It has allowed me to keep in touch with many people. I have found people whom I haven't seen in ages, and many more people have found me.

now thats unreal
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by DanX
    IMHO this is the perfect time for a new service to launch--MySpace works poorly, and MSN Space/Yahoo 360 are not out yet.
    Mine isn't exactly the same. I have a smaller target audience. I find mySpace to be ugly. Ugly with lots of features!

wow, thats nice
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

It has been said that i account for $579,999,995.00 of the final selling price

WOW. That is crazy.

The overload problem most likely does not come from just the amount of users, but the way the system works.

Not too long ago I had an idea I felt was great for a type of social network, a type of spidering thought friends. I got rid of the idea because there really is not good database structure out there for doing recursive selects. About the best thing one could do is setup a nested table system, but making this work with many nested tables nesting within each other on demand makes for a huge database and application load.

I am not with myspace so I have no idea of the system they use, this is just part of the problem in my mind.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Wow! AT least now whoever sold 'myspace' is now RICH!

It is a profit made rather than a net loss.

always fun to see sites like this sell for so much

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    The overload problem most likely does not come from just the amount of users, but the way the system works.

Not too long ago I had an idea I felt was great for a type of social network, a type of spidering thought friends. I got rid of the idea because there really is not good database structure out there for doing recursive selects. About the best thing one could do is setup a nested table system, but making this work with many nested tables nesting within each other on demand makes for a huge database and application load.

I am not with myspace so I have no idea of the system they use, this is just part of the problem in my mind.
    How about mySql calculating a maximum of 3 degrees of friendship? Friendster doesn't network more than 3 degrees, apparently friendster too had a server load problem some time back.

Originally posted by hellind2
    How about mySql calculating a maximum of 3 degrees of friendship? Friendster doesn't network more than 3 degrees, apparently friendster too had a server load problem some time back.
    If you are talking about with myspace I have no idea how many levels they go, only that they do go down the line so to speak. The website I wanted to build was dependant on going ALL the way down, and the only viable solution I could find at the time was oracle which was too much to invest for me and another learning curve I didn't want to try and work through.

I would love to see a proper recursive database system put into place though, as I could think of many applications that could benefit from it. If you limited you level of calculation you could grab the information quickly and simply, but this removes a lot of the fun out of it.

Take for example:

Pick a word out of the english dictionary, for example the color red. Now look up the definition of red, then the definition of all the words that make up the definition of red, then those words, etc... down and down and find out how many words you would have to know to really understand what "red" meant. This is a dumb example but it is what I was going for.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

justa: MySpace's initial friends list is only the user's preset list. There isn't even any categorization.. it's a really really basic system, but it looks like they've been doing hack jobs rather than recoding the site, which could explain a lot of the problem.

I'm not familiar with ColdFusion, but is it appropriate for a site like MySpace even?

Holy Crap, they paid in CASH!? That must of been one huge suitcase

Holy crap, they paid in CASH!? That must have been one huge suitcase
    Tell me about it lol. That's alot of money.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Thats a very Huge Amount of Money!! I wonder how can i earn that kind of money...
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Wow, this is great news! And to think, I just spent the past week or so laying the groundwork for my own site to compete against MySpace.

Originally posted by 7thsign
    Thats a very Huge Amount of Money!! I wonder how can i earn that kind of money...
    Sell your domain name and your website.

hey could someone please give me the hookup to foxes bank account and routing numbers i need to plug em into paypal
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

a fair chunk of change

It seems to me that they way overpaid for it...

The reason myspace was bought was its 'community' aspect. Afterall, thats what sells today

Hmm, now that the conservative media has bought them maybe they'll do something to get rid of the annoying goth and suicidal kids on it.

Originally posted by etogre
    Hmm, now that the conservative media has bought them maybe they'll do something to get rid of the annoying goth and suicidal kids on it.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Originally posted by etogre
    they're not goth anymore, they're 'emo'.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    they're not goth anymore, they're 'emo'.
    Really!?

Care to explain!?