Total Newbie Hosting Question

I have a site hosted on peoplehost. For the last 2 days I have had trouble connecting to edit my site. Tonight I'm getting the message "Unable to resolve server". My question is "how much downtime is normal?" I know that administrative tasks, etc., have to be done. Since this is my first site, I don't know what to expect. Thank you for your replies.

Check www.dnsstuff.com to see how your domain is resolving. See if it is problems with your name servers being incorrect or if they are having issues with their DNS servers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

I would suggest you to contact them directly and see what the downtime was caused by, and what the exact problems are with the server you're on.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

A decent host can guarantee 99.5% - 99.8% uptime. That means around 2-3 hours per months for server maintenance. However, I see many hosts can reach 100% uptime in several months.

2 - 3 hours a month is an insane amount of downtime. Less than 15 minutes per month per server is within the range of acceptable...and anything over that should be explained by the host. You should also expect apologies and some credit to your account if it goes beyond that.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

A bit harsh, Tina, wouldn't you say?

Downtime stats explained - based on a full month
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0.1% = approx. 15 minutes of downtime

99.9% = 15 minutes or less
    99.8% = 30 minutes or less
    99.7% = 45 minutes or less
    etc.....

It is common with the majority of good Hosters to provide 99.8% uptime or better, every month on a regular basis. But if someone is paying $3.00 a month for 2+ GB of Web space and oodles of Data transfer, then maybe their site is a non-important one and are just happy that their site works, sometimes.

If Uptime is important and 30 minutes or less of downtime per month is desired, look to pay a decent dollar. Also make sure to ask if the Hoster can provide a 3rd party verification of Uptime 'and' make sure to ask if checking is done every 5 minutes or less.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

DNS Stuff Report

Thanks for all your replies. I went to the DNS report site and had the following problems:

FAIL Missing (stealth) nameservers FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

ns2.peoplehost.com.ns1.peoplehost.com.
    This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

FAIL Missing nameservers 2 ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
    ns31.peoplehost.com.
    ns32.peoplehost.com.

Stealth NS record leakage Your DNS servers leak stealth information in non-NS requests:

Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns2.peoplehost.com.]!
    Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns1.peoplehost.com.]!

This can cause some serious problems (especially if there is a TTL discrepancy). If you must have stealth NS records (NS records listed at the authoritative DNS servers, but not the parent DNS servers), you should make sure that your DNS server does not leak the stealth NS records in response to other queries.

Since I am such a newbie, I don't know what this means or how to fix it. Can someone explain?

Thanks

The problem is the Nameservers used at your Registrar -- where your Domain is registered. You must use the Nameservers provided to you by 'peoplehost.com'. If that is what you have done, then your Host put you on the wrong Server or provided you with the wrong Nameservers to use.

Edit: http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport...peoplehost.com
    Shows the same problem with their own Domain name. Obviously these people are not quite sure what they are doing.
    Last edited by Website Rob; 07-19-2005 at 10:16 AM.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Originally posted by Website Rob
    A bit harsh, Tina, wouldn't you say?

Not at all.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Sorry Tina, but to say that all hosts must attain certain uptime levels is not entirely fair IMO.

A host should reach or be very close to the levels of uptime that it lets the customers believe will be reached, be it 99%, 99.5% or 99.9999%.

Not all hosts can be Akamai, and not all customers need Akamai.

Thanks for all your help. I found the problem! It was my Norton stuff. When I disabled it, everything worked fine. Hope this helps some other newbie like me.

Mammabird

Yeah, I recommend you chuck Norton... I use NOD32 antivirus and Outpost firewall. Better + less expensive.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Norton, just overly protective for the people who are affraid of the spies that will drop in and still their life.

Setting the correct security level of Norton will solve the problem. Most probably you got a high level of security so it blocked off almost everything.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 07-22-2005 at 09:39 AM.