How to market your hosting services?

Hi,

I'm a newbie is webhosting industry. Could anybody enlighten me on how to promote web hosting services?It could be an online method or physical.

Any input is much appreciated.

I am relatively new at this also. I am not expecting enormous growth right away, but this is what I have done.

I have submitted a listing to a website called marketingtool.com. It has a web hosting directory divided by state. I also made fliers and mailed them to all the PO Boxes in the town I live in and some neighboring towns. Alot of them are smaller businesses and trying to maximize their exposure. I got a few accounts so far that way.

I know this is pretty basic and small, but just starting out I already have my first month's expenses paid for doing it this way.

Thanks for your reply.

Sending fliers to neighbouring?Does it really work?Any problem with authorities such as mailbox "spamming"?

OK, if you have choices between telephone support and email support (fast response within 1-2 hrs). Which would you prefer?

If you found out that the support of your hosting company is sub to another location (letz say asian countries), what is you expectation for that company?

I think as a start email support would be a good start and should reduce your operating cost. Most clients would not mind not having access to phone support if their emails can be answered in a short period.

As for finding out that your support have been outsourced, I personally would not mind that as long as things get done and problems get resolved. In fact there are many hosting companies that have started outsourcing their support to some Asian countries such as India.

What i believe is 1st world country clients would not want to deal with 3rd world countries support (lower standard). Is that true?
    Having some language problem (asian english vs US/UK english). Language slang problem is unavoidable as they are from different countries. Will this be a problem as long as both sides could understand each other?
    But outsourcing support is really a cost saving method.

>What i believe is 1st world country clients would not want to
    >deal with 3rd world countries support (lower standard). Is that
    >true?

As long as they answer emails quickly and resolve the actual problem it should be fine.

If you were to provide email support, language should not be a problem.

And some hosting companies don't advertise that they are outsourcing to eg. India. So if you really wanted to outsource support, there is no reason to tell your clients unless of course they ask.

I didn't have any problems with it, but I asked permission from the postmasters of the post offices I was considering. And yes, I did get a few clients from it. The post office considers it advertising aka junk mail.

Originally posted by rois
    If you were to provide email support, language should not be a problem.

And some hosting companies don't advertise that they are outsourcing to eg. India. So if you really wanted to outsource support, there is no reason to tell your clients unless of course they ask.
    One could tell if the other side of the phone is not speaking US/UK english. So, it is not the problem to tell the customer or not as they will know it by themself.

Alright, let me sum up the supports that will be provided:-
    1)Email support with ticketing system (Estimate response time within 2-3 hours depending on case urgency).
    2)Live chatroom with instant response 24/7/365
    3)Phone support from asian countries (Malaysia, Singapore)

Do you forsee any problem with this kind of support?Phone support will be the last to be implement. What should i tell to my customer if they ask for phone support?Any good reason to satisfy the them?

Originally posted by zopiwebhosting
    I didn't have any problems with it, but I asked permission from the postmasters of the post offices I was considering. And yes, I did get a few clients from it. The post office considers it advertising aka junk mail.
    Do you know anybody else using this method for web hosting services?I really interested with this method. Do you mean that you send the fliers via mail service or deliver it by yourself to their mailbox?
    What is the cost per fliers?

Re: How to market your hosting services?

Originally posted by Tomcatf14
    Hi,

I'm a newbie is webhosting industry. Could anybody enlighten me on how to promote web hosting services?It could be an online method or physical.

Any input is much appreciated.
    Here are the four key questions you need to answer.

1. What is my target market?
    2. If somebody from my target market was looking for hosting, where would they go?
    3. How do I get my advertisement there?
    4. Once they see my ad, what can I offer them that competing hosts can't?
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Try to discover the demographics and the psychographics of your niche. Your niche are core and largest as it's the most profitable market.

To make your advertising campaign easier you should search a narrow marketing with specialized products, probably the area which has been overlooked by your competitors.

Before you go out and lots of money on promoting your hosting business, make sure that you have a niche, else you will not get the profits that you're looking for. Trust me, I learned the hard way. Make sure you are targeting one type of people. Atleast, this is my opinion...

Originally posted by thomas.smith
    >What i believe is 1st world country clients would not want to
    >deal with 3rd world countries support (lower standard). Is that
    >true?

As long as they answer emails quickly and resolve the actual problem it should be fine.
    That's how the terrorists bomb the US They plan their little get together on the internet.

What the hwll does atht have to do with this topic?
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

You could also try the following options aswell

Networking Communities: These communites seem to work out very good. For example MySpace.com, Freindster.com, or LinkedIn. The networking communities prove to be very helpful quickly!

Word of Mouth: Tell everyone you know about your hosting company. If you have family or friends that have websites, ofcourse try to get them to switch to you! If you service is up to par people will start to talk about it more and more, eventually getting you more customers.

User Forums & Other Communities: Web hosting forums is a great way to expand the "word of mouth" advertising

Phone books: Get your company listed in the phone books aswell. This will prove to also be helpful in your local community!

This should help you a little bit more down the road also.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the input and it is much appreciated. Alright, let me emphasis more on phone support. What do you expect from phone support?Maybe you could list it down with preferences. Any idea on implementing a good and efficient phone support are mostly welcome.

Keep pace with your customers during phone support and also it is good to inclined with the vertical exchanges discussed previously. I think it's the most important part of your discussion during phone support as the pacing will guide you to match the way your customer want to communicate with you, managing it well it will keep you in business to business.

Originally posted by Tomcatf14
    Do you know anybody else using this method for web hosting services?I really interested with this method. Do you mean that you send the fliers via mail service or deliver it by yourself to their mailbox?
    What is the cost per fliers?
    I sent them via mail since you can't stuff fliers in people's boxes. I have signed 3 customers since I put them out. I have had inquiries from 11 others. I printed the fliers out myself so the cost of paper and ink was approximately .12 a flier.

Originally posted by zopiwebhosting
    I sent them via mail since you can't stuff fliers in people's boxes. I have signed 3 customers since I put them out. I have had inquiries from 11 others. I printed the fliers out myself so the cost of paper and ink was approximately .12 a flier.
    Could the fliers be send out without a return address?Since i'm just starting the business and it will most probably from home. I do not wish my potential customer to find out that i run the business from home (unprofessional impression to client). Eventually i will shift to some office lots if the business grow. By the way, how many fliers that you have sent out in order to get 3 sales + 11 enquiries. You sent the fliers to residential box or offices box?

I sent the fliers to PO Boxes at my local post office. Most of them are rented by local businesses. I had a return address on it, which is a PO Box. You can get a small one for approximately $24 a year. I mailed out 103 fliers last week and had that response. It will vary from area to area, as most of the businesses that have these PO Boxes are looking for a way to make their businesses known and have been thinking about having a website. Some of the inquiries I have had have been on web space and if I know any decent designers in the area, so you may want to research that also and come up with 2-3 that are decent.

zopiwebhosting, may i know your location?I do not wish to clash with your location if i were to use your method.
    Pretty good response as it is around 15%.

Again, many thanks for your great idea!

Hi!
    Don't worry it. It's just a newbie trying to make as many friends as quickly as possible....not!

Marketing is a science. However...what works for me may not work for you...it's something that must be learned. You don't have to spend a lot of money with it either. Again...what has been said about niches is true. How to reach them was not mentioned.

Ok...target audience....target market. How can I reach this people?
    Newspapers? Direct Mail? Bulletin Boards at Grocery Stores? The key is getting customers and constantly give them reasons to stay.

Do not put flyers on cars in mall parking lots..this is illegal.
    I know many do it..and get away with it....but....!!!

Radio is too expensive...so is magazines. Look for other ways...sponsering newsletters...sponsering websites these people that you want to reach visit. I hate banner ads..but...let's face it...they sometimes work.

Bryon

Targeting (aiming) is a verb not noun, however it appears like noun, when you think to target you should research the following points, actually it needs action, thereafter you can be able to select the proper advertisement method to implement your advertisement campaign.

What is the size of the total available market?

What are some other customer's options?

What are the leading available brands which address the same needs?

Are there any known customers for this service?

What is the demographical set-up of particular area and the life style, average income etc?

What others competitors are doing?