Need opinions on a matter

I am not sure if I am in the right forum so moderators feel free to move my thread if you have to.

I had a server about 5 months ago, that I got via paypal. Well I decided to cancell it by going up to paypal and cancelling the subscription. I know paypal sends an email to the host when someone cancells.

My question is. Can the provider come back to me saying that I owe them for 5 months of use when I cancelled 5 months ago. And their reason being I didn't send an email to the right address?

To me it seems rediculous.

Thanks,
    Matt

were you still using it since you cancelled?

No nothing was even on it.

Thanks for the reply,
    Matt

Cancelling a Paypal subscription typically is not the way to cancel an account. What does the TOS of the host say? My opinion is that unless the TOS of the host says that it is a valid way of cancelling your server, you're still on the hook for the last 5 months. Admittedly they should have noticed sooner, but... I'd try to work with them to see if they'll accept partial payment for the last 5 months. Unfortunately they likely do have a good argument against you and depending on the debt could send it to collections (as it does seem to be valid).
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

Complicated situation, if you have enough evidencec they can do nothing..First you should check if the e-mail was correct, then you should check if a message sent by e-mail can really close your account. If everything is ok, they'll have nothing to do in your case.

NOt sure whether cancelling a hosting account via paypal is the best way . Why not to be doubly sure send the host an email saying that you had cancelled 5 months ago and ask them to confirm that ?
    Chris, Developer/Programmer,
    Php laravel developers,
    Ruby on Rails developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

It is down to the host's Terms of Service - if it tells you in there what you must do to cancel, I imagine they would be in their rights to continue to charge you, as you did not go through the proper channels. Every company has policies and procedures.

Ultimately, a cancelled PayPal subscription is not necessarily an indication you want your service with them to be cancelled. PayPal e-mails might not be going to an e-mail address they monitor regularly (as opposed to a billing e-mail address).

Just my 2p.

What email address did you use? Does it state in the TOS to send cancellation requests to [email protected] and not [email protected]? Granted support should have forwarded your request over to billing but it all depends on the company.

What is the company telling you now that you wish to cancel? Most will sometimes look at the date that you sent that email. Going thru Paypal there is usually the last resort - like a chargeback if you will and most companies like to do everything not to have them

There is really too much for us to decide here with very little information.

Well to top it off, I went through a guy who owns a company personally. I've never been to their website except the helpdesk.

Basicly it was a few chats on aim a link to make the paypal subscription and that was it. He didn't make me agree to any terms of service agreement.

I am pretty sure their emails are [email protected] and it should of been [email protected]. But I wouldn't even know this. The guy is insisiting that I needed to follow the TOS rules I never read or knew existed.

EDIT: I left the company because they had bad service as well and experianced many problems.
    Last edited by Amx; 07-20-2005 at 10:53 PM.

bumb, any help guys?

If there is no signed agreement with them then you should be fine.
    If they are harrassing you though it is always fun to get a lwayer friend to call them up and harass them back a little for you.