Hard Decision.....

I have a big decision to make......

I am all ready to goto college next month, however, I just aquired a job working construction. Right now I'm only making $19.24, but when I go down state to work, I will be in the range if $25 - $26 with awesome overtime.

What do you all think would be the best choice?

I am guessing I will get the common "Only you can decide" response, Oh well...

Thanks.

Decide between what? College or construction?

College without a doubt, you'll have to finish it one day so the earlier the better.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

You should choose college. If you can't find the time to finish it while still young, chances are you won't finish it as time goes by.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Another vote for college here. You might think you're earning a lot now, but having a degree will give you the potential to increase your salary even further.

I'd go with college.

There will always be other chances to make that kind of money, but college is something you want to do while you're still young.

Take the job, the overtime and the money.

Make what you can now so you don't live like a pauper when you eventually do go to college.
    Remember, college is no guarantee of a high paying job.

If you don't go to college now, you might start a never ending process of running after $1 per hour wage increases. Basically the "danger" is that of getting used to doing what you do.

If you think you have what it takes to stop from working and go to college at a later time, then take the job.

BTW, if you want to go to college, I believe it's good to go while you are young; very young.

Those are just my opinions, of course.

It is a tough decision. I say do a bit of both

If you really like construction work (it'll always be available, and will always pay well though it's hard on the body) maybe It'd be a good idea to go to a trade school and acquire a skilled trade. ie welding, carpentry, electrician, drywall etc. depending on the trade, you cycle between school for a few months, and work (apprenticeship or preapprenticeship) in the field for a few months. The wages as an apprentice are at least what you're making now and it counts for school. In addition, you won't be just general labour... you'll be learning and always advancing.

As you move on up you make more money, and once you complete the trade program you are a professional and will be paid as one.

That's the way I'd go. It's pretty well the only post-secondary education I know of that almost guarantees a job upon completion with a damn good wage. If you play your cards right you could probably even retire early the way growth is going right now.

One of my best friends is a 2 or 3 year apprentice boilermaker. He's been averaging $5000/month take home (after taxes) so far this summer. Not bad for a 21 year old.
    Last edited by WoodShedd; 07-18-2005 at 09:16 PM.

i agree with everyone else here, to to school and learn all you can. Learning is good... learning is very good.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

I'd go for College and take a part time job while you're at it.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

College. No doubt!
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

College. Having completed a degree young I can only say that is the best way to go - there is plenty of opportunity to make money later on. Plus, it's some of the greatest fun you'll ever have.

Another college vote here, you will be able to get it over quick and be rich later on =D

College is more than an education. It is an experience, and it is as much of an experience as you allow it to be. Don't cheat yourself of that experience, and in the end you might just get a degree and knowledge in something that you find really rewarding.

Don't put yourself in the position in 30 years to look back and wonder what you might have done with your life. However, if construction is something for which you have a passion, then pursue that! And I'm not kidding in the least. I know people who positively love construction, carpentry work, industrial landscaping, that sort of work. If that's you, then run with it

Otherwise? College. It's the best 4-7 years of your life!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Anyone tried online schooling?

Jobs that pay at least $26 will be available to you after you finish college, and with a degree in a field for which there is decent demand, you'll have no problem finding a job that pays much more than $26 per hour. However, if you have a real passion for construction and wish to advance in the field, perhaps learn a trade by apprenticeship and get started in the field, actually specializing in a certain aspect of it.

Assuming you work 40 hours a week for 50 weeks of the year and get paid $26 per hour, you'll make about $52,000 before taxes. With a college degree and a real aptitude -- and passion -- for a specific subject or field, you can make two times that. Then again, you may also be able to make that much specializing in a certain aspect of construction, perhaps as a contractor developing houses or something, though it'll be a stretch to make twice that being a contractor.

As Paul said, college is not just an education, but an experience to never forget. It will shape your life afterwards, and usually in a very constructive and positive way. Plus, what's better than to learn, learn, learn?

I'd say college as well but remember you're likely to be stuck in a cubicle for the rest of your life unless you choose your area of study wisely.

What do you plan on majoring in?

I have taken an economics course online. In my opinion whether or not one likes it really depends on the individual taking the course. If you are able to spend a lot of time in front of the computer without getting distracted, then it may be for you. If you think you're apt to learn better by reading and via chat sessions with instructors, then again it may be for you.

but don't deny yourself the college experience. I'm off to my 4th year of learning, fun and debauchery this fall. And I'll say again, choose your area of study wisely or you could waste a lot of time and money.

Originally posted by J-P
    College without a doubt, you'll have to finish it one day so the earlier the better.
    That is what I would say too. Without a degree, you will often find your hand tied up.

My boss, a very intelligent guy, always tells me "Choose opportunity over the short term money".

Ultimately, the choice is yours. One vote for college here though.

One more Vote for college here!

Go to college. Stay young while you still have a chance at it. College...is like a boarding school for big kids to be little kids taking care of themselve. Have fun! Make friends! Give yourself a chance before you are too old to fit in among the students in 10 years from now. That job can wait...college can't.

Originally posted by WoodShedd
    I'd say college as well but remember you're likely to be stuck in a cubicle for the rest of your life unless you choose your area of study wisely.
    Too true. And, the best and most assurable way of not being stuck in a cubicle for the entirety of one's meager existence on this planet is to start one's own business.

college for sure.. i doubt going back as a geaser would be any fun anyway.. not that you would be able to handle going from making $25 an hour to nothing.. you dont think that lifestyle is addictive? it's easy to struggle through university because you dont know any better. get it out of the way

I went to College and found it to be a two year waste of time. Sure it is an "experience" but not one I felt I "needed"

Put it this way mate... both are going nowhere. It's not a life or death decision (although it is big).

As blue stated, College doesn't always equal high pay.

Without equivocation I recommend getting your education. Those with college degrees earn, on average about $1M more than those without over their lifetime.

More importantly, in my mind, is it gives you options. If you like working with your hands that's fine but I have two brothers-in-law that have no choice. They decided to forego college, got jobs, and now have families. One drives a Coke truck and makes a decent living but has suffered back problems. What happens to his income if he back goes out? His income goes out with it. You run the same risks of injury with construction or any other job where your income is based on the strength of your back.

Decide to go to college and let nothing keep you from getting your degree. You will regret it greatly later if you choose not to.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

the economy isnt great in alot of places, go for the money while you are young and go back to school later. In fact, with that kind of money you can do most of the work online.

This is another vote for college. I used to do construction work and made a pretty penny while I was doing it as well, but I quickly learned that construction comes and goes. Depending on where you live you will also end up with the winter months to deal with.

I've met a lot of guys that have been in construction all their life and most of them constantly groan from all the medical problems they have from it.

I would definatley take the time to go to school instead of jumping on the construction job.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Go for college ! education will help you till the end.
    Chris, Developer/Programmer,
    Php laravel developers,
    Ruby on Rails developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

construction, so much money in it.

my mates are in construction, and soon they will be earning 15p/h and there only 18-19

they could earn even more,

construction is where the money is,
    yeah go college get an education and work in a boring office job or something, or get out with the big boys and have jokes etc while u work,

and Theres lots of construction jobs out, all over the world people are crying out for construction workers.

(the other cashmirrors guy)

I'd vote for construction.

$25 an hour is 1000 for a 40 hour week. That's 50K a year. Definately above average, a lot more freedom than most post-college jobs, and more money than most.

Plus if you're smart, you can own your own construction business and do very well out of it.

Unless you love what you do at university, it's just a poor imitation of travelling (which you can definately do with construction skills).

The "you have to go to university" myth is a white-collar lower middle class trap. I did it, and I loved it, but I just love learning (I will probably end up becoming a uni lecturor, because I actually enjoy research and writing).

A degree is NOT a ticket to a good job, college is NOT a four year vacation, you are NOT a lesser member of society if you don't get a degree, college does NOT make you a better person.

Do what you love, and don't let other people trick you into thinking college is a good idea.

I'm not saying don't go, I did and I loved it. I'm saying don't go for the wrong reasons.

Originally posted by cashmirrors
    (the other cashmirrors guy)

The "you have to go to university" myth is a white-collar lower middle class trap.

A degree is NOT a ticket to a good job, college is NOT a four year vacation, you are NOT a lesser member of society if you don't get a degree, college does NOT make you a better person.

Do what you love, and don't let other people trick you into thinking college is a good idea.

I'm not saying don't go, I did and I loved it. I'm saying don't go for the wrong reasons.
    All of that is excellent advice. I say best post in this thread yet.

The book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is on the same line as what cashmirrors said and is an interesting book to read.