View Poll Results: "Thanks" or "Thank you"?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Thank you" is better, but I don't mind what the host uses

18 43.90%
  • "Thank you" is better and I would like the host to use it

11 26.83%
  • "Thanks" is better, but I don't mind what the host uses

2 4.88%
  • "Thanks" is better and I would like the host to use it

0 0%
  • They're the same to me.

10 24.39%

"Thanks" vs "Thank you"

As some of you might know, I'm not a native English speaker. For me it's not that easy to get the feel of certain expressions, understand connotations etc.

Yet somehow, it got into my mind that "Thank you" is more polite, more elegant than "Thanks". My question to you is, am I right? And since we're on a hosting forum, do you think that a host should be using "Thank you" in the communications with the customers, or is "Thanks" just as OK?

I've always used "thanks"... just how I grew up I guess but I think they are equal.

Congrats on the big 6k Dan

I'll have to agree with you on this one, IMHO "Thank you" is much more professional then the casual "Thanks", I think also "Thank You" gets the point across how thankful you truly are. I think it may depend on the host's relationship with their customers, if they have a very professional relationship then they should use "Thank you" but, if they are more laid back, and casual relationship "Thanks" just does fine. Just my opinion!
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Thanks is more appropriate for informal/conversational speaking.

It depends on the whole situation. If there's an exchange of money involved, then I'd personally use Thank You.

i.e.
    Client says "Here is the money from the invoice"
    I'd say "Thank You"

but if its an exchange of information or just talking, then I'd say Thanks

i.e.
    Client says "I just changed my e-mail address, here's the new one x@y.com" or "I just reviewed you on WHT"
    I'd say "Thanks"

It just comes down to what is correct English and what is slang/a colloquialism. It depends on the formality of the discussion I guess. Thanks is more informal.

It depends entirely on the relationship with the customer. If it is strictly a purchase/provide relationship, "thank you" is more formal, polite and appropriate. If it's someone with whom you've had contact before, it's more personable to say thanks.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Congrats on the big 6k Dan
    Thank you. I found it funny myself that I reached my 6k mark by starting a new thread.

"I just reviewed you on WHT" I'd say "Thanks"
    Reading that made me realise that the response might actually depend on how the customer himself sounds. If he's like "Yo bro, what's up?" it might be almost out of line for the host to keep being extremely formal.

Yea your right Thank You is a little more polite, Thanks is ok too not like its informal or anything there both fine.
    Regards

Ultimately "thanks" is quite a bit more informal than "thank you". However, I don't think it would really matter unless you were in a particularly formal situation in which I would use "thank you".

Generally as far as I am concerned they are both fine for most situations.

Thank you - Thank you very much - Thanks - Thanks a lot

Thank you, is definitely more formal and should be used in those type situations. Receiving payment or a potential Client sending in questions, for example.

Thanks, is less informal and good examples have already been mentioned for that.

To use either one all the time would just wear them out and make them less noticable. I find it best to mix 'n match them, depending upon the situation.

Something else I've noticed as well, which relates to this topic but is used at the beginning of a communication, is that the phrase "Hi" has been replaced by "Hey". Don't know how that happened but even in most TV shows, the characters will say "Hey" when meeting someone instead of "Hi" or "Hello". Get a lot of eMails that start that way as well.

Maybe it's just me that finds that odd?
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Thanks should only be used in informal situations.

Thank You is formal and should be used in business situations.

Thanks is more appropriate for informal and friendly conversation.

Dan,

Think of it in terms of "Mersi" and "Multumesc".

It all comes down on how well you know your client. "Thank you" will always be a formal way to express gratitude, while "thanks" is often used in an unformal conversation amongst close acquaintances.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Kind of reminds me of 'Yes' and 'No'...

Who actually gives a one worded yes or no reply, doesn't it sound rude? And then we have the informal, Nah, Nope or No thanks, or Yeah, Yup.

What do you guys think about yes and no?
    It's Scott!

just say "Thank You!", you lazy bastards.

Originally posted by camers
    Kind of reminds me of 'Yes' and 'No'...

Who actually gives a one worded yes or no reply, doesn't it sound rude? And then we have the informal, Nah, Nope or No thanks, or Yeah, Yup.

What do you guys think about yes and no?
    "Yes, indeed."

"No, not quite so."

i think "Thank you" is always best, no matter the situation.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

I just say "Thanks" but thats just me. But if i'm around some important person I always say "Thank you".

i think "Thank you" is always best, no matter the situation.
    I felt that way as well (especially since I have to be extra careful as a foreigner to not say something inappropriate). However, someone mentioned earlier that using just one of the variants all the time might just wear it out.

This makes me a bit concerned when it comes to business related communications. Perhaps switching between "Thank you" and "Thank you very much" can reduce that risk?

Originally posted by etogre
    just say "Thank You!", you lazy bastards.
    I think you may need to moderate your language a bit, etogre.

Thank you is definately much more formal but thanks would also work just as well - in exchange for information or something i'd probably end with a thanks instead of a thank you
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Doesn't really matter in my opinion, but I think "Thank you" is more professional.

I think it depends on the situation.

Thank you tends to be more formal (note not better) than thanks.

If i was talking to someone important then i would use thankyou, whereas if i was talking to someone i know, i would use thanks.

As for hosts using it, If someone emails me for the first time, i.e. a sales enq then if needed i would use thank you. However i have some clients that have been using use for several years that are local clients, thats totally different as they know who i am, and when they ring up its much more informal. So if its needed they would get a thanks.

I dont think there is a right or wrong time to use thanks or thank you, its down to preference. However i consider thanks more firendly and thankyou more formal.

The real question, is how do you feel aboout the person you are talking to?
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

[nitpick]
    Why do people have the tendency to mush "thank you" together, so as to form one word? It clearly isn't one word, and if people would just think about that, they wouldn't make that mistake.
    [/nitpick]

Anyhow, "thank you" is more formal, professional, courteous, whatever you want to call it, but "thanks" works well in informal situations.

Thanks is more colloquial than "thank you," but either can be used conversationally.

thank you is much more professional

I am a bit shy and I always thought 'Thanks' were for shy guys, to say it quick and dirty.

So I try my best to say "Thank You" with intention, the tone is more important, stress the "You" part.

Next step for me would be "Thank You very_much"