Lunarpages billing

I'm signing up for Lunarpages hosting and at the bottom of the page the billing total comes out to $95.40 I understand that comes out to the 7.95 a month, but are they gonna bill me for the $95.40 up front, or do they just take out 7.95 per month?

Looks like it's billed for a year at once. Usually that's how annual billing works. Why not just email them and ask?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by CTG
    Looks like it's billed for a year at once. Usually that's how annual billing works. Why not just email them and ask?
    That's probably it, I would also recommend contacting them about this and see if thats really the case.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

It's billed up front. Once paid you don't have to worry about it for awhile. Only downside if you find out that the host may not be right for you a few months down the road or find out a script you want to use is not permitted. They have a phone number on their site to call if you need to ask about the up front thing, refund policy, etc.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Yes! This is annual billing even they promote the monthly price! I think it is better when host explain what does the customer pay - month by month or on annual base.

Best Regards
    Dimitar
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

This should be normal is you chose to pay for one year.

Normally the price is lower when you pay for one whole year, that's how it works

yes this is quite common, it makes the billing process easier doing it once a year, and nobody is going to enforce a 7.95/mo contract, prepayment is a good way for companies to ensure the customers yearly commitment is kept.
    Kevin

Originally posted by HP-Kevin
    yes this is quite common, it makes the billing process easier doing it once a year, and nobody is going to enforce a 7.95/mo contract, prepayment is a good way for companies to ensure the customers yearly commitment is kept.
    It is a good way for a number of companies to get free money. Most money back guarentees are for 30 days only. That means things can go splendidly for 60 or 90 days and then go to heck in a handbasket and the company can keep the rest of the years hosting fees and the client is out the money and has to find a new host.

I would never recommend paying for hosting for any longer a term than quarterly.

An established company would not be established if they made a company based on "get free money" . We are also not talking about a large amount of money here, the customer can weigh the risks of losing their money with the advantage of a discount and simplified billing process.

Its unfair to say you cannot trust hosting companies, if you can't trust them to provide you service for more than 60-90 days without stealing your money, and feel that quarterly is the only safe choice, I would suggest you have picked the wrong company.
    Kevin

the customer can weigh the risks
    That's my take on it. It's a bit of gambling. Even paying monthly is a bit of gambling as well, since after the moneyback period, the customer is always risking losing the money one way or another.

Personally I believe it would be better (fairer) if hosts would always be using some type of prorated refund, but come to think of it, my cell phone company doesn't think that way either. I sign-up for a yearly contract (paid monthly) and whether I use the service or not, I will still have to pay the monthly fee till the end of that year. In the end, it's similar to paying a fixed amount from the start.

I did pick the wrong company when I hosted with LP. I was hosted with them for over a year. The first year was actually very good. The second year went from good to bad to hellacious. Their support went from excellent to very bad. Their service went from reliable with explainable problems that were not so problematic, to horrible reliability with no explainations or if one was given it was that there is no problem.

The downhill slide started shortly after I was billed for my second year. I lost months of hosting because I moved my accounts and my client accounts away, so I not only lost my own money, but then had to pay out of pocket for my clients sites to host them elsewhere.

So yes LP was not the company for me, and I would suggest that at most paying quarterly is the best way to protect your investment in your online presence.

Considering your record here Kevin with refunds and your slow processing methods the monies involved may seem like small amounts. To the client it doesn't matter how small the amount it is their money. To some it is a lot of money.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    That's my take on it. It's a bit of gambling. Even paying monthly is a bit of gambling as well, since after the moneyback period, the customer is always risking losing the money one way or another.

Personally I believe it would be better (fairer) if hosts would always be using some type of prorated refund, but come to think of it, my cell phone company doesn't think that way either. I sign-up for a yearly contract (paid monthly) and whether I use the service or not, I will still have to pay the monthly fee till the end of that year. In the end, it's similar to paying a fixed amount from the start.
    A number of cell phone companies offer month to month billing/no contract term service.

I can say one of the reasons why I chose my current host Rochen is because they offer monthly billing. (they actually only offer monthly billing).

A number of cell phone companies offer month to month billing/no contract term service.
    Not around where I live.

Seing how you got burned once by this kind of TOS term, I can definitely understand your position MMMedia.