Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NTL capped download

Does anyone know if NTL have started capping people's downloads yet? The reason I ask is, I have a 3GB file to download tomorrow, and apparently I will be/I already am capped @ 1GB a month.

I doubt they will have done, My ISP is to start from the 1st of August i cant see it working too much though, If you go over i believe you go back to dial up.

they say its capped, but they dont cut u off unless u go majorly majorly over your cap.

I read somewhere a while back that all accounts now have a 1Gb cap. I have never reached that I believe and have never seen a notification.

I guess it's best you just try the 3Gb download late at night so that when you go past midnight it all reset's again.
    -- Matthew

I would have to agree with Bully...

I can see sne in introducing the cap - I was chatting to a friend a while bac who has a friend that works with NTL and apparantly they said somthing like they look for people who reach XX amount of bandwidth per month, if that XX figure is high then they introduce the cap for that person.

somthing like that.

Yeah it isn't a hard cap. It's there to maintain network integrity. Though 1gb daily cap on 3mb connections in my book makes the whole thing pointless.

heh he said 1gb a month, dont know where everyone is pulling 1gb a day from unless its on the hosts site

But, 1 gb a month is really really hard, isespecially if thats up/download...so im assuming thats a typo?
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

If you on NTL's lowest offer, then your cap is 1gb a month i think, or it may be 3gb, but no more.

all im gunna say is 3mb connection aint limited to 1gb a day cause i can easily push that.

this friend that works for ntl said summit about aslong as u download/upload less then 60gb a month your fine. so weather thats true or not is a different matter.

Yeah. 1mb/s has a cap of 1GB a month. 2-3mb/s has a cap of 3GB a month. I have 1mb/s.

I can see sne in introducing the cap - I was chatting to a friend a while bac who has a friend that works with NTL and apparantly they said somthing like they look for people who reach XX amount of bandwidth per month, if that XX figure is high then they introduce the cap for that person.
    Is that a double figure amount of bandwidth, or just a general unknown? If it is double figures them I'm OK :p

NTL always said they had a cap, but they never enforced it so it didn't really matter. But apparently they're introducing a new cap that they'll actually enforce. But there hasn't been any official word from NTL yet, just NTL employees @ NTL-Hell and stuff. Hopefully it's just a rumour, but if you don't see me posting until next month, you'll know why

Originally posted by mouldy_punk
    Yeah. 1mb/s has a cap of 1GB a month. 2-3mb/s has a cap of 3GB a month. I have 1mb/s.

Is that a double figure amount of bandwidth, or just a general unknown? If it is double figures them I'm OK :p

NTL always said they had a cap, but they never enforced it so it didn't really matter. But apparently they're introducing a new cap that they'll actually enforce. But there hasn't been any official word from NTL yet, just NTL employees @ NTL-Hell and stuff. Hopefully it's just a rumour, but if you don't see me posting until next month, you'll know why
    Well I have heard it is double figures, as I said above 60gb but its not actually official this was his rough estimate.

if and thats a big IF, ntl do introduce the cap somone told me it wont be starting till early sept / late sept for others and oct.

EDIT: personally i cant seem them worrying about bandwidth, cause if they do introduce the cap then my personally thoughts would be to change ISP as I am a serious gamer and i could push the cap most proberly in a matter of hours.

1Gb per month and 2-3GB per month is completely rediculous... I easily exceed that in less than a week...

That sucks : /
    I have Adelphia and dont have a cap. But I do get some phone calls. One time I did a test. I downloaded a 4gb file (dvd), deleted it, downloaded it, and deleted it did that about 15 times. I got a call though for using so much bandwidth. Oh well.

Well, my download is now at about 1.5GB, and the speed hasn't changed. So I'm assuming the cap isn't in place yet.

3gb has a 1-3gb cap per day not month.

regards

per day? wow, I'd still be over today though

yEa its between 1 to 3gb a day anyway im sure, i remember reading it when they upgraded speeds.

1mb is 3gb cap a month.

2mb and 3mb have a 30gb per month cap which NTL claim is 1gb a day.

I stayed on my 300k/s connection and download about 5-10gb a month.

Yeah it proberly is about 30gb a month, I must be lucky and not on the cap cause 2 months back i reached 50gb

Why are they capping peoples downloads, that is not fair paying like £37.99 per month for a 3mb connection. I am only getting like 150kbps max download speed, something must be wrong there. Can anyone help me and tell me a bit more about this NTl capping.

Thanks alot.

ACGOGETA

Originally posted by RandyT
    That sucks : /
    I have Adelphia and dont have a cap. But I do get some phone calls. One time I did a test. I downloaded a 4gb file (dvd), deleted it, downloaded it, and deleted it did that about 15 times. I got a call though for using so much bandwidth. Oh well.
    You have tooooooooooo much time on your hands...

Didn't telewest enforce a cap without telling anybody? I remember that causing a stir. NTL may do the same. Keeping it hush hush so it doesn't hurt the sales.

I personally use Eclipse 1MB. I download around 2GB a day and upload around 1GB a day. Comes with no limits or restrictions...

Was considering one of the cable companies, but with so many restrictions, I think i'll stay where I am.

Yeah but i do alot of heavy uploading and downloading per day, i need to have a good service, good speeds. I don't like capped bandwith, is there any other companies with un-metered bandwith? I really need a good isp for all my uploading and downloading. NTL is starting to suck, they want to charge you, but they don't want to give you access to internet 24/7. Have as many uploads and downloads as you want, O well it can't be helped. I know i shouldn't be getting a max download speed of 150kbps, on a 3mb connection tho.

Thanks for the reply.

ACGOGETA

You should contact NTL about the download speeds, and no access to the internet 24/7? What do you mean? I've had no problems. A while ago (as in a year or 2) NTL were up and down quite a lot, but recently they've been fine. Plus, if this cap is anything like their old one, they won't enforce it.

Yeah i think i will give them a ring, the just say the same thing tho. "Turn off your internet box for 10mins or more, turn it back on again and it should be fine". I tried that already still the same speeds.

Thanks for the reply.

ACGOGETA

Don't try emailing them, you'll end up waiting a week and then all they'll do is email you a template that has nothing to do with what you asked. I tried asking them about running a small webserver on a home connection and they emailed me a template about setting up networking :\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast