Collocation location not always obvious

Many collocation offers don't make it clear where they're located. It's obvious that any prospective customer who is going to walk over to a datacenter with a server under his arm would like to know where they're located. Maybe it's because:

1) they think if you don't get on the phone you're not serious
    2) they forgot to mention it
    3) they have many datacenters to choose from
    bigwrench

Re: Collocation location not always obvious

Originally posted by bigwrench
    Many collocation offers don't make it clear where they're located. It's obvious that any prospective customer who is going to walk over to a datacenter with a server under his arm would like to know where they're located. Maybe it's because:

1) they think if you don't get on the phone you're not serious
    2) they forgot to mention it
    3) they have many datacenters to choose from
    Or in some cases, people are ashamed of their location. For example I notice a lot of people who resell servers from FDCServers will only say "Datacenter: Chicago." They might also assume you know the location. Some hosts could be hot headed and think everyone knows who they are so they dont feel the need to mention all the details.

That's funny. It would be very helpful if ads offering collocation started with: "Collocation in [city|state|country]: price, details" Most of the time spent browsing through collocation ads goes into trying to figure out where their located. Many times there's no hint at all!
    bigwrench

Many do not make it clear probably because they are just starting off and it makes them sound bigger. Also they feel that the prospective customer might try to go direct and avoid the reseller.

LOL… As one of Chicago’s Largest Data Centers I do not think the re-sellers are ashamed of FDC.

I've also experienced this many times. I don't get how they would expect to get colocation customers without specifying where their server would be housed. I hated having to e-mail and call in to find out the location of their datacenter. Pinging their website, running traceroutes and then using dnsstuff.com to get a general idea of where they are may work some time for me, but not always, especially if they happen to do dedicated servers and colocation in different facilities.

Originally posted by music
    Many do not make it clear probably because they are just starting off and it makes them sound bigger. Also they feel that the prospective customer might try to go direct and avoid the reseller.

LOL… As one of Chicago’s Largest Data Centers I do not think the re-sellers are ashamed of FDC.
    One of Chicago's largest data centers?? Also, when I was a customer and went to their datacenter, I was embarassed for them... Floor fans, ducts going out the windows... Definitely inadequate cooling.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Karl when was the last time you were in the Data Center?

Yesterday it looked very clean and a comfortable temperature. They also moved the NOC into the joining 1000 sq ft room and added 10 tons of additional cooling.

You probably have not seen it in a long time, looks much better than a year ago.

I am guessing that FDC is nearing 2,000 servers. So I would say that makes them one of the larger Data Centers in Chicago.
    Last edited by music; 07-19-2005 at 05:12 PM.

I think the majority are looking to avoid people going direct to the main company like music has said.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Karl when was the last time you were in the Data Center?

Yesterday it looked very clean and a comfortable temperature. They also moved the NOC into the joining 1000 sq ft room and added 10 tons of additional cooling.

You probably have not seen it in a long time, looks much better than a year ago.

I am guessing that FDC is nearing 2,000 servers. So I would say that makes them one of the larger Data Centers in Chicago.
    If you're talking them now having 2,000 servers then I don't think that an added 10 tons would be enough. Though true, I haven't been there for nearly two years now. I do know though about some systems that have come back from there in not so great shape, but I guess that is another issue... I do know someone that was there about 6 months ago though and still said the place was quite hot...

Also, you generally don't measure a data center size by the number of systems it has in it, still, I can name about a dozen that are larger than that off the top of my head... I guess it all depends in how you'd consider it, "one of Chicago’s Largest Data Centers." Top 5, top 10, top 20, top 100? From what I can tell it would be completely dwarfed by the Equinix, Verio, Savvis, etc. facilities in the Chicago area.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Well the temperature felt fine the other day (In the middle of the summer) so your theory regarding inadequate cooling is probably not correct.

Comparing Equinix, Verio, Savvis to FDC, now that is funny. What I meant to say was FDC is one of the largest Data Centers in Chicago (The only one I know of) catering to the lower budget cliental.

I and other WHT members would be interested in your list (off the top of your head) of around the dozen largest Data centers in Chicago, in terms of servers and facility size.

Well the temperature felt fine the other day (In the middle of the summer) so your theory regarding inadequate cooling is probably not correct.

Comparing Equinix, Verio, Savvis to FDC, now that is funny. What I meant to say was FDC is one of the largest Data Centers in Chicago (The only one I know of) catering to the lower budget cliental.

I and other WHT members would be interested in your list (off the top of your head) of around the dozen largest Data centers in Chicago, in terms of servers and facility size.
    All of them would belong to various carriers, thus I don't believe any qualify for you, or so it seems... Though considering most of those facilities do house companies that cater to the WHT market I do find that a bit odd... If that is what you meant, then why didn't you say that? Suggesting they have a large data center, let alone one of the largest in Chicago is laughable, imho... Both Equinix and Verio are about 130,000 sq. ft., I believe, and I'd be surprised if FDC is even a tenth of that.

Note: Nowhere am I bashing FDC, etc. The market they go for doesn't equire the largest data center and they provide a great service to their target market. I was a customer of theirs and would gladly use them for simply pushing a high amount data that did not really depend on quality, etc. It is a perfect place for download sites, etc. I am simply stating a disagreement with music's statement.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 07-19-2005 at 08:31 PM.

I still disagree and from what I can see FDC is one of the largest Data Centers in Chicago in terms of number of servers and possibly facility size. Again it would be great if you could provide the dozen names of the largest Data Centers in Chicago. We do agree that FDC is not the 1st or 2ed largest, I am guessing in the top 5 ?

Your first contribution to this thread you said “I was embarrassed for them... Floor fans, ducts going out the windows... Definitely inadequate cooling. This statement could be considered to have a little FDC bashing in it, considering you have not been in the data center for 2 years.

But I am probably wrong because why would you bash a place that you started your company in? If it was not for the FDC’s of the world many young guys you’re your self probably would not be able to pursue a dream of starting your own business because the costs at the other data centers you mentioned and the longer term contracts would make it very difficult to succeed when starting out.

I still disagree and from what I can see FDC is one of the largest Data Centers in Chicago in terms of number of servers and possibly facility size. Again it would be great if you could provide the dozen names of the largest Data Centers in Chicago. We do agree that FDC is not the 1st or 2ed largest, I am guessing in the top 5 ?

Your first contribution to this thread you said “I was embarrassed for them... Floor fans, ducts going out the windows... Definitely inadequate cooling. This statement could be considered to have a little FDC bashing in it, considering you have not been in the data center for 2 years.

But I am probably wrong because why would you bash a place that you started your company in? If it was not for the FDC’s of the world many young guys you’re your self probably would not be able to pursue a dream of starting your own business because the costs at the other data centers you mentioned and the longer term contracts would make it very difficult to succeed when starting out.
    it was stating what I saw when I was a customer... I stated clear facts of what I saw, nothing more. If that is bashing....

Also, we did not get started in FDC, we were doing shared hosting, etc. WELL before we got into FDC. FDC started in what, 2001, 2002? We've been doing shared hosting since 1998, making it physically impossible for us to have gotten started in FDC. FDC served as a temporary home in CHicago until we got our own network setup, etc.

I would doubt they're in the top 5, if you got me a number as to how many sq. ft. the FDC data center is I'll work out a list of places that are larger. I know Abovenet has about 20,000 sq. ft., Level(3)'s space in their main POP isn't small either. Savvis has one that I believe is in the neighborhood of 60,000 sq. ft., which they got from C&W which they got from Exodus, and I know Savvis has more than one in the Chicago area, though I haven't asked about the others. I know there is an old Conxion data center downtown that was 18,000 sq. ft. There are a large number in the 8,000 - 12,000 sq. ft. range, but I don't have the square footage of FDC's to compare with those, etc... In that area, if I remember correctly, are the likes of Looking Glass Networks, and several other carriers and CLECs. I'm not sure how large Tilted or Hostway are either...

Then we must agree that it is nice to have companies like FDC that can offer a temporary home for companies like Steadfast that offers shared hosting, ect.

And you keep comparing FDC for mission critical Data Centers. Again, I feel that FDC is one of the largest Chicago Data Centers catering to budget providers as noted in a previous post.

What I meant to say was FDC is one of the largest Data Centers in Chicago (The only one I know of) catering to the lower budget cliental.
    You make it sound like Steadfast Networks has been around from 1998. Can we also agree that that is a little deceiving? Exactly who and what was around in 1998?

Then we must agree that it is nice to have companies like FDC that can offer a temporary home for companies like Steadfast that offers shared hosting, ect.

And you keep comparing FDC for mission critical Data Centers. Again, I feel that FDC is one of the largest Chicago Data Centers catering to budget providers as noted in a previous post.

You make it sound like Steadfast Networks has been around from 1998. Can we also agree that that is a little deceiving? Exactly who and what was around in 1998?
    You stated one of the largest data centers in Chicago, that is what you said. If you keep adding more qualifiers then I may just agree with you, though considering several of those mission critical locations is giving them a bit too much credit :-) So you are saying FDC is not suited for mission critical uses then, as I can't compare it to mission critical data centers? What other qualifiers are you going to put on it next? We already have, budget and not mission critical, are we also restricting it to privately owned companies in the Chicago financial district?

In 1998 it was NoZone, operating as NoZone, with DBA filing in Fond du Lac County, WI and a web site at nozone.net. NoZone was incorporated as NoZone, Inc. in 2000 in the state of Wisconsin. Steadfast Networks still operates as a DBA of NoZone, Inc. Don't see how that is deceiving...
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 07-20-2005 at 12:05 AM.

Yes I did state in the first post that FDC was one of the largest Data Centers. Then after your first post on the thread I clarified. If you go back and read the Thread I think we can agree I was not adding on more qualifiers.

Just curios, as you said, “incorporated as NoZone, Inc. in 2000 in the state of Wisconsin”. Question, so how did you come up with being in business since 1998 as you stated in this thread?

Now you have me really interested, who incorporated NoZone.

Getting back on track for a second.. I prefer to be in colos who's location is not advertised... for security reasons... For some companies this is a big issue.

Yes I did state in the first post that FDC was one of the largest Data Centers. Then after your first post on the thread I clarified. If you go back and read the Thread I think we can agree I was not adding on more qualifiers.

Just curios, as you said, “incorporated as NoZone, Inc. in 2000 in the state of Wisconsin”. Question, so how did you come up with being in business since 1998 as you stated in this thread?

Now you have me really interested, who incorporated NoZone.
    As I stated, we provided web hosting from nozone.net and had a DBA filed with Fond du Lac County, WI, and were thus operating as a legal sole proprietorship, that was done in 1998.

Also, my original statement was disputing the statement you made that they had one of the largest, etc. Then you still ask me to name the same number after you randomly change the qualifiers. As I have no idea as to the size of the FDC data center, though I have been there I can't really tell you how many square feet it is, I cannot really give you the list, which you had requested I give, because of the changed qualifiers, etc. if you are simply stating that FDC has one of the 10 largest data centers of the budget hosting providers of CHicago I'd likely agree with you, as I can't even think of 10 budget dedicated providers in Chicago...

Now I understand from the interview you gave in 2004 http://www.hostingtech.com/?m=show&id=82

Karl, President/CEO of Steadfast Networks at http://www.steadfastnetworks.com : I'm 20…I had originally started in 1998 by reselling services…at the age of 14.

How do you handle legal issues, with being under age 18?

Karl: …November of 2000 I incorporated the company under the name NoZone, Inc. in the state of Wisconsin, with my mom as President, until that time I was just filing it on personal taxes (sole proprietorship) and had filed a DBA at the county courthouse. Note: We formed Steadfast Networks as a dba of NoZone, Inc. in 2002, since honestly, the name NoZone isn't that great, heh

Now I understand from the interview you gave in 2004 http://www.hostingtech.com/?m=show&id=82

Karl, President/CEO of Steadfast Networks at http://www.steadfastnetworks.com : I'm 20…I had originally started in 1998 by reselling services…at the age of 14.

How do you handle legal issues, with being under age 18?

Karl: …November of 2000 I incorporated the company under the name NoZone, Inc. in the state of Wisconsin, with my mom as President, until that time I was just filing it on personal taxes (sole proprietorship) and had filed a DBA at the county courthouse. Note: We formed Steadfast Networks as a dba of NoZone, Inc. in 2002, since honestly, the name NoZone isn't that great, heh
    What legal issues are there? I paid taxes, everything was overseen by an accountant, and my mom co-signed any contracts, etc. it isn't really that hard to operate legally...

How should I know, it was your interview.

Anyways I admire you for starting your company at a young age.

How should I know, it was your interview.

Anyways I admire you for starting your company at a young age.
    To me it seems it was explained quite well in the interview....

Much of our history is explained on the web site and I answer any questions wehn asked, truthfully, such as that interview and this thread. I do not attempt to hide anything and I do not appreciate the initial insinuation.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 07-20-2005 at 03:32 PM.

What insinuation ?

That you are young?

Sorry

What insinuation ?

That you are young?

Sorry
    The insinuation that I was being deceiving: "You make it sound like Steadfast Networks has been around from 1998. Can we also agree that that is a little deceiving? Exactly who and what was around in 1998?"

And the insinuation that I may not have been operating legally: "How do you handle legal issues, with being under age 18?"

I don't mind it that people say I'm young, so.. :-)

Well try not to stress out over it to much or you might loose all your hair before you turn another year old. I guess I am making the insinuation that you read into things to deep.

You have all the answers and really no point carrying on because it is pointless and I have lost interest.

I wish I could just type LOL , but WHT would not allow a post so short. I think it is safe to say this thread should be closed.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by HiVelocity
    I wish I could just type LOL , but WHT would not allow a post so short. I think it is safe to say this thread should be closed.
    I think music and I are done :-)

We can let the thread go back to the topic, no need to close it then.

i agree close the thread cause gilbert says so
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.