Cheap automatic backup hardware?

We currently backup once a week on a DVD-RW. There are a few problems with this methode.

Nr.1 It can only have 4.5GB
    Nr.2 We have to do it manually
    Nr.3 With our current writer it is slow (2.4x)

What is your advise for a affordable backup systeem that automaticly makes backups once a week can can handle more than 4.5GB?

Tape will easily do what you need, but might be quite expensive compared to your DVD method (At least the start up costs). After that just let it sort itself out!

How about getting some space on a remote server and backing up to that each week?
    Steve

This works well, and does more than what you were wanting.

http://www.mirra.com/

I would think hard about the remote backup idea , it seems many people are moving to this method.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Mirra Server sucks. I tried it and didn't like it at all.

I'm not sure what kind of data you are backing up, but I backup daily my data on my hard drive (specific files/folders) using the built in Windows XP backup utility everyday at 9:30AM to a external Seagate 160GB Firewire hard drive.

Once a month I make a backup onto a DVD of the last backup created for that month, label it "Backup for [Month]" and store it in a fire/water proof safe.

Originally posted by Rob83
    Once a month I make a backup onto a DVD of the last backup created for that month, label it "Backup for [Month]" and store it in a fire/water proof safe.
    Make sure it's a media rated safe. A standard "fire-proof" safe is rated to protect paper for one hour. Translation, keeps the temperature under 451 degrees (burning point of paper). Your DVD will be a melted blob of plastic.

For a fun look at backing up check this out:
    http://www.backuptrauma.com/video/default2.aspx
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by trau
    Make sure it's a media rated safe. A standard "fire-proof" safe is rated to protect paper for one hour. Translation, keeps the temperature under 451 degrees (burning point of paper). Your DVD will be a melted blob of plastic.

Actually it goes into an envelope that is made for media discs for safes.

No wonder, in the end I clicked the third button. I just had to do it.

Can anyone explain how to turn on the backup utility in Windows XP Home? My computer came with the default files partioned on my hard drive so I have no extra CDs to pull from.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

The only way I know to get the backup utility on XP Home is to install it from the CD (VALUEADD/MSFT/NTBACKUP). Check to see if you have a VALUEADD folder in the partition that has your windows files.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Mirra Server sucks. I tried it and didn't like it at all.

I'm not sure what kind of data you are backing up, but I backup daily my data on my hard drive (specific files/folders) using the built in Windows XP backup utility everyday at 9:30AM to a external Seagate 160GB Firewire hard drive.

Great advise,

What do you think of the "Maxtor OneTouch II"

Originally posted by Johnburk
    Great advise,

What do you think of the "Maxtor OneTouch II"
    I, personally, haven't used it. But we sell it at the company I work for and they are a hot item and are getting sold out left and right. But I have heard really good things about them. In saying that, there is only one hard drive brand I trust however, and that is Seagate.

A friend has the Maxtor OneTouch II Network one and it's great. It allows each person to have a private folder on the external hard drive and then there's a public folder for everyone else.

Since I use the built in Windows Back Utility, I didn't use the software with my maxtor, nor do I really take advantage of the button that will do the backup when I press it, since my system automatically backs up at 9:30AM.

I backup a lot. Especially my outlook PST files and archive files and other documents. Some people say I'm going a little overboard (everyday backups, monthly dvd stored in safe), but personally, you can never be too careful!

I backup a lot. Especially my outlook PST files and archive files and other documents. Some people say I'm going a little overboard (everyday backups, monthly dvd stored in safe), but personally, you can never be too careful!
    Well said. You can never backup too often if your data is important.