Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    673

    Cheap automatic backup hardware?

    We currently backup once a week on a DVD-RW. There are a few problems with this methode.

    Nr.1 It can only have 4.5GB
    Nr.2 We have to do it manually
    Nr.3 With our current writer it is slow (2.4x)

    What is your advise for a affordable backup systeem that automaticly makes backups once a week can can handle more than 4.5GB?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Reading, England
    Posts
    4,243
    Tape will easily do what you need, but might be quite expensive compared to your DVD method (At least the start up costs). After that just let it sort itself out!

    How about getting some space on a remote server and backing up to that each week?
    Steve

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    5,292
    This works well, and does more than what you were wanting.

    http://www.mirra.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY USA
    Posts
    839

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    2,378
    I would think hard about the remote backup idea , it seems many people are moving to this method.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    Mirra Server sucks. I tried it and didn't like it at all.

    I'm not sure what kind of data you are backing up, but I backup daily my data on my hard drive (specific files/folders) using the built in Windows XP backup utility everyday at 9:30AM to a external Seagate 160GB Firewire hard drive.

    Once a month I make a backup onto a DVD of the last backup created for that month, label it "Backup for [Month]" and store it in a fire/water proof safe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    Originally posted by Rob83
    Once a month I make a backup onto a DVD of the last backup created for that month, label it "Backup for [Month]" and store it in a fire/water proof safe.
    Make sure it's a media rated safe. A standard "fire-proof" safe is rated to protect paper for one hour. Translation, keeps the temperature under 451 degrees (burning point of paper). Your DVD will be a melted blob of plastic.

    For a fun look at backing up check this out:
    http://www.backuptrauma.com/video/default2.aspx
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    Originally posted by trau
    Make sure it's a media rated safe. A standard "fire-proof" safe is rated to protect paper for one hour. Translation, keeps the temperature under 451 degrees (burning point of paper). Your DVD will be a melted blob of plastic.

    For a fun look at backing up check this out:
    http://www.backuptrauma.com/video/default2.aspx
    Actually it goes into an envelope that is made for media discs for safes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    For a fun look at backing up check this out:
    http://www.backuptrauma.com/video/default2.aspx
    No wonder, in the end I clicked the third button. I just had to do it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Proud She-Geek
    Posts
    1,722
    Can anyone explain how to turn on the backup utility in Windows XP Home? My computer came with the default files partioned on my hard drive so I have no extra CDs to pull from.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    The only way I know to get the backup utility on XP Home is to install it from the CD (VALUEADD/MSFT/NTBACKUP). Check to see if you have a VALUEADD folder in the partition that has your windows files.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    673
    Originally posted by Rob83
    Mirra Server sucks. I tried it and didn't like it at all.

    I'm not sure what kind of data you are backing up, but I backup daily my data on my hard drive (specific files/folders) using the built in Windows XP backup utility everyday at 9:30AM to a external Seagate 160GB Firewire hard drive.

    Once a month I make a backup onto a DVD of the last backup created for that month, label it "Backup for [Month]" and store it in a fire/water proof safe.
    Great advise,

    What do you think of the "Maxtor OneTouch II"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    Originally posted by Johnburk
    Great advise,

    What do you think of the "Maxtor OneTouch II"
    I, personally, haven't used it. But we sell it at the company I work for and they are a hot item and are getting sold out left and right. But I have heard really good things about them. In saying that, there is only one hard drive brand I trust however, and that is Seagate.

    A friend has the Maxtor OneTouch II Network one and it's great. It allows each person to have a private folder on the external hard drive and then there's a public folder for everyone else.

    Since I use the built in Windows Back Utility, I didn't use the software with my maxtor, nor do I really take advantage of the button that will do the backup when I press it, since my system automatically backs up at 9:30AM.

    I backup a lot. Especially my outlook PST files and archive files and other documents. Some people say I'm going a little overboard (everyday backups, monthly dvd stored in safe), but personally, you can never be too careful!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY USA
    Posts
    839
    Originally posted by Rob83

    I backup a lot. Especially my outlook PST files and archive files and other documents. Some people say I'm going a little overboard (everyday backups, monthly dvd stored in safe), but personally, you can never be too careful!
    Well said. You can never backup too often if your data is important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •