Question about Windows Servers

Hello,

I am not really good at all that server stuff so I would need your help on some question regarding windows server (since I only used linux boxes so far and am not good at that one as well). I would be very happy if I could get some answers

Now here is the prob:

I am in need of a windows server since I got a software that I am running on my desktop which I want to include in a webpage of mine (itīs a calculation software for some special stuff). Now I wonder wether it would work if I would run a windows server to upload it there and run it on the server as well? Or is a windows server that different from a desktop using win XP that this would not work? Also I would like to use that software as a part of a bigger PHP-programmation, but I am not sure wether PHP would be runable at all on a windows server (since one would use ASP there, wouldnīt one)?

Thx in advance for your replies

best regards, dd

P.S. of course I would also be interested where to host some cheap windows boxes (no real huge CPUs and stuff needed, since the box would be used only for that software)...

If your program works on xp it should work on windows server 2003 without any problems. Also you can use PHP on windows it is very easy to setup.

The Windows 2003 Server should be able to run desktop applications as with Windows XP for the most parts. There may be some differences in terms of security and permissions but it should be easily handled as long as you assigned the right permissions to the right user.

PHP is not native on Windows but the pre-processor can be installed on a Windows server. ASP support is native though but PHP is not.

thx for the input, guys?

Does anyone now some good hosts, where to get a cheap windows box?

best regards, dd

How would you define as cheap ? What is your price range and how do you define as 'good' hosts ?

Everything is really subjective here and would be dependent on your actual needs and preception.

well basically by "good" I am rather referring to a stable network than to a fast processor. So I guess the thing I am planning to do could as well be easily done by a celeron as well.

as for the price range I would prefer no setup and as cheap as possible (since I am not sure wether stuff will work out as I hope it does), so price is kinda "variable" but I guess I would not want to spend way more than 100 bucks a month..

best regards, dd

you can certainly look in the offers forum , there is usually a good deal to be had there http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...?s=&forumid=36
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test