Problem with AOL block

Hi,

Is there a way to view the spam evidence on AOL mail block?My mail server is currently blocked by AOL and i could not find the problem with my mail server. Therefore, i think i would need to spam evidence to trace the problem.

Any help is much appreciated

Are you running any "mailing lists" or using an automated reply of any sort?
    An unusual "sendmail" script?
    Running BoxTrapper?

Even something as harmless as "e-cards" in Coppermine could ring the spam bells.

Check your ip with Spamcop.net.

Personally, I think AOL should stand for America Off-Line!

The server is not listed in SPAMCOP or other RBLs. Just having problem with AOL. Any way to get a spam evidence from them?Don't expect me to trace a single AOL mail from my users and there are few hundreds valid mail to AOL users from my server daily. I need to trace which email to AOL is being complained so that i could solve it on my server.

Any idea?

Originally posted by Tomcatf14
    The server is not listed in SPAMCOP or other RBLs. Just having problem with AOL. Any way to get a spam evidence from them?Don't expect me to trace a single AOL mail from my users and there are few hundreds valid mail to AOL users from my server daily. I need to trace which email to AOL is being complained so that i could solve it on my server.

Any idea?
    If you don't have a feedback loop request already in place, I don't think so - you may need to call them and discuss what happened. For the future, though, I would suggest setting up a feedback loop request:

http://www.postmaster.aol.com/tools/fbl.html

which will forward you full email with headers so you can track down any problems before they start.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser

That's a great idea. AOL is currently evaluating my request. Thanks a lot.

You may not be black listed at all

A-oh-hell is one of the few ISP's that verifies a sender via reverse DNS.

Check that it's setup properly. If not then there's a good chance that could be your problem

We have a reverse DNS on the mail server IP. I got this error:-
    Read the following post of the link as i haven't reach my 5th post

If the IP have a reverse DNS but the DNS doesn't return back the IP, is this OK with AOL?

Someone above mentioned the feedback loop. This is one way of tracking. You also need to apply for there white list. Sometimes they put temporary blocks on mail servers if too much email has come through from a particular IP address.

Just make sure you have proper RDNS entries and then apply and let them know all of your mail servers IP addresses. You also need to agree to some terms and conditions and all that kind of usual stuff to tell them you are doing all you can to prevent spam.

The process takes around 1 - 3 days if I remember correctly.
    -- Matthew

AOL has some of the worst spam filters out there. I'm on 0 blacklists and yet I'm blocked from their mail servers. I'm still waiting on an e-mail I sent to them a week ago to put us on their whitelist.

Things to check when having problems sending to AOL addresses:-

1) Is your IP on any Reverse DNS Blacklists such as ORDBS, Spamcop, Spamhaus. You can do a check of multiple Blacklists at www.dnsstuff.com

2) Do you have a correct Reverse DNS record for your mailserver. Just because you have asked for one to be set up, don't assume it is correct. Check the IP at www.dnsstuff.com

3) Do you have valid SPF records for the domain. AOL will reject email with no SPF record or an SPF fail.

From the sounds of your problem I would check 2) and 3) above, but suspect that it may be due to lack of SPF record. Do you have SPF set up for your domain?
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

1 week and haven't get your reply from AOL?Similar case as mine?
    You think they reply to our email?

By the way, which email address you used?

I really don't care if they unblock me. Anyone that uses AOL these days deserves to die. I'm currently communicating with my client (that has an AOL e-mail address) via GMail.

It's good if AOL have spam evidence provided directly on a URL like spamcop and other spam filter. It make jobs easier for system admin to pinpoint which user is spamming on the server.

Sometimes, it's not the actual spam that created the problem. It is the user itself that complain mail forwarded from our mail server to their AOL addresses.

As i remembered correctly, AOL does provide spam evidence previously, correct?

Originally posted by Tomcatf14
    1 week and haven't get your reply from AOL?Similar case as mine?
    You think they reply to our email?

By the way, which email address you used?
    Call them - we've been blocked about 4 times in a few years from folks forwarding their mail to their AOL account. If I call, it gets dealt with in 24 hours. Email seems to get buried.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser

Does anybody know how AOL block work?
    Did they screen contents of each email or they will block base on user's complaint?I noticed from my log that some AOL mail get blocked and some don't.

As someone mentioned, call them. Nothing gets achieved without calling them.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••