Thread: B/w Monitoring

B/w Monitoring

I am currently trying to install a utility which can dump statistics for multiple network interfaces on the system. This is essentially to monitor the B/w Usage of my VPS. On my FreeBSD VPS, two such interfaces are getting listed: rl0 & lo0. Which one should I use for monitoring purposes or should I add the RX and TX of both the interfaces? Please help.

In My Own World
    I think you need to monitor rl0. lo0 is the loopback interface.

Tracy Phillips

Thanks.. One more thing.. It shows the total RX and TX data ever since my VPS was created. Is this data ever resets automatically? Or if I reboot my VPS, will it become zero?

Yes, this data will reset itself. You should look into a better solution. I've always used VNStat, see Its pretty simple to setup and produces nicely formated bandwidth charts.

there are a lot of ways of gettingthe data you want on FreeBSD - It is just a matter of recording it.

a simple netstat -ib will show you everything that you need.

You could simply parse this info and log it to a file to keep an eye on what is going on.

Probably easier, is to install net-snmp and mrtg and monitor the interface that way.

You could (should) have a firewall running, and you could even set up some simple firewall rules to log all traffic - and of course parse this - maybe even grab something like bandmin (I think there is a version somewhere that rus on FreeBSD)

It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004