Dedicated or Virtual?

Hi all,

I am current have my sites on a host with virtual plan. 500GM transfer paying $70. the system is 4-cpu xeon 2G ram.
    And my sites probably grow and reach to 800G I think.

I am consider go for a dedicated plan:
    1000G Tansfer
    p4, 1G ram

One thing I am not sure is the performance between these 2.
    if I stay with virtual, it is 4-cpu xeon but sharing resources. If I go for a P4 dedicated I get whole server.
    which one better for performances?

thanks help

Frank

You sound like you only rely on bandwidth, rather processing power.

A dedicated is the way to go if you use pure scripting/database (php/mysql) etc...

But if you only need it mainly for bandwidth a cheap dedicated is the way to go.

my sites have phpbb forums. So maybe power does matter.

So which one more powerful?
    virtual 4-CPU XEON 2G ram
    or
    dedicated 1-CPU P4 1G ram

the cost for 1000G Transfer are close for both.

thanks

I think the answer lies with the overall usage of the 4 cpu system, if the 4 cpu system is running at 80% average usage , then the single processor would be a better choice. Without knowing this there is no guaranteed way to answer your question.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

I am not sure, but I guess for most hosting company, it is usually not up to 80%, or satuation may often run into mass I think.

I was just using the 80% as an example , without knowing what that real number is , there is no accurate way to answer the question.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

I guess one thing you could do is to check with your current provider as to how much resources you used off the server. It is possible that your sites are taking a big chunk off the Quad Xeon server and thus the P4 1gb may not meet your requirements. If you are using a lot less resources than the P4 1gb would suffice.

to eddy2099
    does resources measure by percentage?

Well, it depends. On Windows, it does but in Linux, it is based on Load Factor.

Well are your sites running slow. Do you see any performance problems with your forums. If not I would keep it virtual, however for future growth and easy of management at sometime you may want to consider a dedicated server. It would be good to find out how many hosts are actually running on the current virtual plan you are on. I hope this helps.
    Sozo Hosting, Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    dean@sozohosting.com
    Dedicated Servers
    Cloud Servers

Getting your own dedicated server gives you peace of mind in the sense that you have knowledge of your resources and know how many sites you can apply to them.

With the virtual server you may be fine now especially if you are the main resource user, but as the other folks sharing grow or more folks are added the resources (cpu, mem) may become scarse and your sites may start slowing down.

Raphael
    raphael@rippleweb.com

Yes, Dedicated Server is fast, secure and you have full control on it. You can install any program as you desires and update programs as often as you wish.

Yeah, especially I am panning to added more sites, one thing is that so far their support is good and I am afread get trouble for moving.
    But they said if I am going over 500G, it will problebly need to go for a dedicated. But their dedicated plans are so expensive force me to consider a move.

If you ask me I think the dedicated server would be a lot more work for you because you have to manage it your self then which uses more time of yours.