hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : If a forum admin refuses to remove your account isnt that against the law?

Forum Jump

If a forum admin refuses to remove your account isnt that against the law?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Disabled

If a forum admin refuses to remove your account isnt that against the law?

I signed up with a forum and requested to have my forum account removed and the admin has been very childish and rude and will not remove the account. I believe it is some type of ego of his since all he has to do is login to the admin panel and remove the account. Yet he chooses to argue and not do so, and he has a default phpBB forum so there are no terms of service stating that anything posted on his site becomes his property. Isnt there anything I can do?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

So just don't login and let it be? I can't see how this would be breaking the law, you signed up no one twisted your arm, and I assume, you're not under 13? or is it 13 or under for that one new law? Anyway, just don't login and let it be?

Old 07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Disabled

I am an adult and the reason I want the account to be removed is because search engines pull up my username on their index pages. I wanted to leave the site since I was new and there were a lot of rude moderators and admins there who are disrespectful, so I politely asked them to remove my account and they refuse to do so.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

You can leave the site without having your account remove. On WHT, accounts are not delete...but they are disable.
The admin could disable your account without deleting it...and it would show that in the search engine. It is their forum so they do whatever they want to do.
Before you register for that account under your username...did you know that the search engine was pulling up your username?
Why did you register it under that specific username if you only wanted to register to use the site for a short period? Did you register that username thinking that if you did, it would be removed at your request?

Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Disabled

Dude, I registered at that forum because I planned to stay there. However as I was posting important info on their forums their mod and admin replied with childish posts so I realized that I did not belong there as kindly asked to remove my account. Yes I knew that google may index my username however I am a member of so many forums I didnt think it would have come down to this.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Web Hosting Master

No offense but it sounds like you're basically getting your panties in a bunch over nothing. Just quit going there and ask them to remove your login, if they don't they don't, life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech Consultant

If the username is lexington, I wouldn't sweet it..lol...it's such a common name, that a seard on the word turns up 15,000,000 hits..LOL. The odds of someone putting you and post on some obscure forum together are astronomical.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Community Leader

Ask the admin to change your username then you will eventually fall off the search results

Old 07-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

I've refused to remove usernames for some users in the past. Some I have done it for them. The ones I didn't do it for, were usually people who caused 80% of the problems, left before and came back wanting their old username, and some wanted all their posts they ever posted removed... it's ridiculous.

You signed up for the account voluntarily, you supplied the info to that account voluntarily. That's how I see it...

Old 07-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Web Hosting Master

Old 07-18-2005, 05:30 AM
Web Hosting Master

It's your problem if you signed up and accepted the terms of the board really....nothing you can do, good idea though, change your name as anon said

Old 07-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

It's not against the law. It's like giving someone an apple. Then you decide that you don't want them to have the apple. Tough. All you can do is ask for it back, if they don't give it back it's not breaking any laws.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Web Hosting Master

Spam his forum till he deletes you. If he's gonna play hard, be a PITA.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

I have rec'd emails asking for a name to be removed for the reason that my page ranks higher in the serps, for all I know the OP is talking about me. My response...get over it.

When you remove pages on your site at my request, I will consider the same.

Business Class Shared Hosting

Old 07-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Philipf
Spam his forum till he deletes you. If he's gonna play hard, be a PITA.
So if you are mad because I rank for your name, what will happen when you act a fool. All those PITA posts are now associated with your name. In a month you will be whining even more.

Business Class Shared Hosting

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Researchers Uncover Security Vulnerabilities in Popular WordPress SEO Plugin Web Hosting News 2014-06-02 14:51:06
Admin Error Brings Down Joyent’s Ashburn Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-05-28 10:18:18
Hackers Steal User Login Information from AVAST Anti-Virus Forum Web Hosting News 2014-05-27 13:46:25
Network Solutions Will Not Auto-Enroll Customers in $1,850 Domain Security Program Web Hosting News 2014-01-23 15:00:18
Admin-Ahead Server Technologies Listing 2013-11-08 07:23:41