Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[spoilers] What did you think about the new Harry Potter book?

Ok I'll get it started.

I liked it, good book.

One thing that really stuck in my head though. When Harry is having his tryouts for quidditch it talks about how the "nervous 1st years standing alongside the 7th year students". Since when can 1st year students play quidditch? They're not allowed to have brooms at school, REMEMBER?

Did I forget where it was mentioned that this restriction was removed?
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Ah but it also said they were riding school brooms

<edit>Here's the snippet:
    Half of Gryffindor House seemed to have turned up, from first years who were nervously clutching a selection of the dreadful old school brooms, to seventh years, who towered over the rest...
    </edit>

I really liked this one; the others would good but not a I-can't-put-it-down-until-I-finish-it good.

Honestly when I got done with the book I just sat there stunned. First of all I don't buy Snape just totally turning bad-*** like that. That's too easy. At the beginning, when he was meeting with Draco's mom and her sister, I was under the assumption the whole time that he was still on dumbledore's side. Why would he have made that unbreakable vow to do what draco was supposed to do knowing that it was sort of betraying Voldermort, if he was his faithful servant?

Think about it.
    1. Snape, who is supposed to have rejoined the death eaters, gets the same position (defense against the dark arts) that Voldermort wanted all those years ago. Dumbledore didn't allow Death Eaters on Hogwart's property.
    2. Dumbledore saw right through Voldermort (aka Tom) the very first time he met him. Why would he not be able to see right through Snape, a less powerful wizard?
    3. Why did Dumbledore waste so much time talking to Draco? He froze Harry without speaking; before the death eaters joined them he could easily have stunned Draco and taken off with Harry before the death eaters even got there. It was like he was waiting for Snape to get there and finish him.
    4. Why didn't Snape stun Harry and take him to Voldermort as an offering?

My opinion is that Dumbledore and Snape made a pact (maybe even the Unbreakable Vow) that Snape was to kill him if ordered. That way Draco could be still be considered "innocent" and not a true Death Eater since he hadn't killed Dumbledore. Snape would become Voldermort's pet (not literally of course ) and be able to find things out that no one else could, to help the OOtP. And of course it has something to do with Harry as well; my mind is too foggy right now to figure that out.

JK Rowling has often hid clues and "pseudo"-clues in the HP books. For her to simply say "Hey Harry was right and Dumbledore was a weak old fool" just doesn't fit with her writing style, and she sure knows it wouldn't fly with her fans.

It will be interesting in the 7th book to see how everything comes together. I have a feeling we'll need forklifts to get them into the cars so as not to strain the back from the weight. It's bound to be a long one.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Harry joined as a first year didn't he? I'm sure they can use the school brooms anyways.

I thought it was a great book!

That SOB Snape. How could he go and do that. I was in shock for DD. In a way though, I expected it. Think about it, Harry couldn't really fight/kill Voldemort if DD was still there.

I think Harry and Ginny will stick together. DD talked alot about love.

And what is it with all the mention of the phoenix?

The 7th book should be very interesting. I'm curious to know if Harry is going to actually retun to school or not.

Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting

Originally posted by P-nut
    Ah but it also said they were riding school brooms

Think about it.
    1. Snape, who is supposed to have rejoined the death eaters, gets the same position (defense against the dark arts) that Voldermort wanted all those years ago. Dumbledore didn't allow Death Eaters on Hogwart's property.
    2. Dumbledore saw right through Voldermort (aka Tom) the very first time he met him. Why would he not be able to see right through Snape, a less powerful wizard?
    3. Why did Dumbledore waste so much time talking to Draco? He froze Harry without speaking; before the death eaters joined them he could easily have stunned Draco and taken off with Harry before the death eaters even got there. It was like he was waiting for Snape to get there and finish him.
    4. Why didn't Snape stun Harry and take him to Voldermort as an offering?
    Ah ok school brooms, I missed that part.

#1 He also withheld the position from Snape but I think to protect him since it said ever since Dumbledore denied Voldemort the position they'd kept no teacher more than 1 year in the spot. So putting him IN the position would have been endangering him, in Dumbledore's eyes, so when he DID put him in that spot he obviously knew ahead of time he wasn't gonna last a year no way, since he knew Snape would "kill him" and then have to flee. So this fits in perfectly.

#2 Dumbledore trusted Snape, was he shrewdly using him? or does he know Snape is true? I can go either way on this issue, Snape being a TRUE death eater even now won't surprise me but him working for Dumbledore won't surprise me either, I lean towards the "him and Dumbeldore planned it" more than the "Dumbledore used him" plot personally.

#3 Draco is a bastard, not a murderer, and I think Draco will be a hero in book 7 when it's over, possibly playing a key role in Voldemort's downfall.

#4 Exactly, why didn't he?
    resident grumpy redneck

I think dumbledore really died.

I recall that it was mentioned that his portrait joined the many others in the office.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I'm not really a big fan of Harry Potter, but this guy clearly was. He killed himself because he heard a spoiler :\

Originally posted by mouldy_punk
    I'm not really a big fan of Harry Potter, but this guy clearly was. He killed himself because he heard a spoiler :\
    Andy Borowitz writes a daily humor column at www.borowitzreport.com and is the author of a new book, The Borowitz Report: The Big Book of Shockers.

Ok,
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Anyone else reckon we'll discover in 7th book that Dumbledore is not really dead, maybe it was all a way to let Dumbledore be off the radar so to speak? Remember he is the one person the Dark Lord is afraid of, and is a more powerfull wizard; surely he must have taken some precaution to not die, just like the Dark Lord?
    One thing I'm disappointed about, is that Harry isnt going to return to Hogwarts in the last book, I dont see how he can have any chance fighting Death Eaters, looking at the ease with which Snape had blocked his spells. I mean to have a full chance he really does need to be good at more spells.

I honestly think Dumbledore is dead and that he had to die. How heroic would it be if he saved Harry's neck yet again? Talk about anti-climatic! I do think it's possible that his portrait may help Harry out (because DD has to to have portraits elsewhere to move through), but how much is uncertain.

The reason Snape was so easily able to deflect Harry's spells is because Harry still hadn't mastered spell casting silently. If you recall earlier in the book the 6th years had some classes devoted to that.

It's possible Harry will return to Hogwarts the following year, if nothing else but to improve his wizarding skills a bit. Hogwarts has to play some role; especially since 2 of the Horcrux's are from the school's founders (supposedly).

I would have to agree. He's dead. I think he's still going to help Harry though through his portrait and through the Chocolate Frog cards.

Harry turns 17 during the summer making it possible for him to do magic outside school. This will be a major step and i'm pretty sure as soon as he hits 17, he is making he way to the burrow. He can practice magic there and watch the wedding.

I think that he's probably going back to school for half a term. Probably leave around christmas. I don't think JK would want to send the message, drop out of school.

Harry can't just master spell casting silently. He has to practic Oculemency (sp?) to secure his thoughs. Remember, he tried using a silent HBP spell against Snape and snape caught it. But maybe that was becase he was the HBP.

I wouldn't e suprised if the Horcrux's are right under Harry's nose.

Originally posted by FredTT
    Harry can't just master spell casting silently. He has to practic Oculemency (sp?) to secure his thoughs. Remember, he tried using a silent HBP spell against Snape and snape caught it. But maybe that was becase he was the HBP.
    I was thinking of the line where he's chasing Snape/Malfoy but didn't remember him saying the mind closed part.

I agree, I think the Horcruxes are right under his nose.

Anyone remember book 5 when they're cleaning the OOtP headquarters and there's a passing mention made of a "heavy locket" that "no one could pry open"? Hmmm...

RAB i'm 99% sure is Regulus Black.

It would explain why Regulus got killed by his own side, wouldn't it?
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting

I don't know why but I hate Harry Potter, I'm not a big reader (unless it's about technical stuff).
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

I was thinking of the line where he's chasing Snape/Malfoy but didn't remember him saying the mind closed part.

I agree, I think the Horcruxes are right under his nose.

Anyone remember book 5 when they're cleaning the OOtP headquarters and there's a passing mention made of a "heavy locket" that "no one could pry open"? Hmmm...
    Well so far: one was in his old house where he killed his dad - the ring, one was in Malfoy's possession but he didn't know it of course - the diary, one was in the cave where he apparently learned his fledgeling powers of domination - the locket stolen by "RAB" and presumably destroyed, the rest I'm sure are at places also similarly "fond" to Voldemort, any bets whether there's one in the place where he killed Harry's parents?
    resident grumpy redneck

For the initials, I think Regulus Black is too easy.

And I'd be willing to bet my entire collection that one is either at Harry's parents' house or perhaps...his scar? Don't even know if that would be possible, though, to keep one in a person :/

There has to be a reason Harry kept that locket instead of just tossing it...damned if I can figure that out though. Think I'll reread the book and see if I can spot anything

Hmm the scar.... that's a thought, which means Harry might have to kill himself to destroy the final horcrux and then someone else can off Voldemort, my guess is Neville would do the killing strike, proving he really was the "chosen one".

He probably kept it more as a memory of him and DD's last adventure, and a token of the extreme trust that Dumbledore had for Harry in letting him accompany him.
    resident grumpy redneck

I was dissapointed that the identity of the "Half Blood Prince" didn't turn out to be all that important. As soon as the name was in the potions book, it was pretty obvious that it was Snape. And other then giving Harry a few new spells and help in his potions class, it didn't really have that much of an impact on the story. I was a bit dissapointed by that, and don't think this was the best title for the book.

On another subject, I'm convinced that DD is infact dead. I agree with those saying that DD ordered or pre-planned to have Snape kill him. I think that DD was willing to sacrifice anything (including himself) for the chance to take down Voldemort. I think Snape will play a hugely important role in book 7 towards that end.

Theory!

Haha, something just can into my head.

Did you notice how when Harry and DD were watching the memory about Horcruxes, how they mentioned that no one had tried to split there soul that manny times. Think when he tried to do it on Harry, it was one to many and THATS why he died, not because Harry is special.

Actually I think it is mentioned in one of the books that it was Lily's love that saved Harry that night. It has also been long rumored that one of the last lines at the end of the series will be "Harry, your scar...it's gone." (Not to say that it is true, or that Harry will live), which makes me think there is something even more special about that scar than a simple curse after-effect.

You know what I wonder about? DD told Harry that Voldermort took "trophies" from his killings - similar to when he tortured the other orphans when he was younger. I wonder what trophy he took from the Potters.....although he was basically dead after his curse deflected off of Harry, so who knows?

I love this thread.

I absolutely loved the book, more than anyone else on this island.

Gutted its over really, and gutted i have to wait years for the next.

But instead, i've got this thread to read.

Quality

Well done chaps

Keep them coming

Actually I think it is mentioned in one of the books that it was Lily's love that saved Harry that night. It has also been long rumored that one of the last lines at the end of the series will be "Harry, your scar...it's gone."

JK has said the last word is scar,that's all we know,she didnt say Harry, your scar...it's gone.

If she did that's as good as saying harry lives.
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting

Like I said, that's just a rumor I've heard floating around for ages. And you'll note I didn't say it was the very last line in the series .

If the line is true it could very well be Hermione/Ginny/Ron, etc at Harry's funeral and one of them notices that his scar is gone.

Like I said, pure rumor, only JK knows for sure

Funny little anecdote: My youngest sister just called me up and was laughing funny. I said "What's wrong?" She wails "I JUST FINISHED THE BOOOOK and I've been crying for 5 minutes!!" LOL Took me a few minutes to calm her down. It just cracked me up because she is normally very matter of fact and doesn't get emotional as such, but HP brought tears to her eyes.

Like I said, that's just a rumor I've heard floating around for ages. And you'll note I didn't say it was the very last line in the series .

If the line is true it could very well be Hermione/Ginny/Ron, etc at Harry's funeral and one of them notices that his scar is gone.

Like I said, pure rumor, only JK knows for sure

Funny little anecdote: My youngest sister just called me up and was laughing funny. I said "What's wrong?" She wails "I JUST FINISHED THE BOOOOK and I've been crying for 5 minutes!!" LOL Took me a few minutes to calm her down. It just cracked me up because she is normally very matter of fact and doesn't get emotional as such, but HP brought tears to her eyes.
    One of my friends just lost her mum to cancer a week ago and didnt cry but she cried at the end of HBP,crazy.
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting

Im loving the book so far, I havent finished it yet though. I guess I'm just a slow reader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast