Smile paypal is complicated.

For a long time now, I've been looking for a way to verify my home shipping address with paypal. You see, i don't have a credit card. I don't have a credit card because i have a big fear of falling into debt, and I don't really need a credit card.

A few days ago, I sent an email to paypal asking if there's any way i can verify my paypal account without a credit card. Tonight, i recieved a reply.

I have to do the following:

1) Go through a hidden section of their website to start an alternate address verification session.

2) From there, they will send a letter out to my house with a secret confirmation code that I'll have to enter at their website.

3) After i enter the special confirmation code, they're gonna Send me a fax cover page, and I'll have to include

• A Valid Photo ID
    • A recent utility Bill, phone bill, paycheck stub, or business card that shows the address

4) After that, I'll have to wait 7 to 10 days for them to verify it.

It's pretty rough. But, It'll be good to be able to buy from those stores that require a verified address.

sounds like weird james bond stuff, i like it

It's pretty rough.
    I certainly hope it’s rough. If it was easy, PayPal wouldn't be offering all those protection policies they have.

Ryan
    FXH, Inc :: Web Hosting, Web Design, rsync and R1Soft Backup Solutions, and more!

Seems fair enough - they're going to a lot of effort.

Regarding sending in a business card for verification, that's a rather flimsy piece of evidence that you live at the address that you claim you do. One can make a "business card" in a matter of five seconds. Heck, the texture or kind of paper used isn't visible on a facsimile, so all you have to do is print off a piece of paper about that size, with your name, position, and "address." I'm not suggesting that people do this, and being that they also send postal verification to the address, it probably wouldn't work anyway, but it is probably technically possible to give the address of a friend or business partner and then create a business card with that address on it.

I think entering the secret code should be enough. I've gotta walk out to the mailbox store one town away to send a fax copy of my ID, and a business card.

I don't understand why a business card is an option either. But, I'm glad it's an option, because i don't pay any bills.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    I don't understand why a business card is an option either. But, I'm glad it's an option, because i don't pay any bills.
    If you live with your parents and they are paying the bills, I suppose you could always send a copy of your mom or dad's business card. Of course, then PayPal might ask for age verification, because they might think you're a dependent still living with your parents, and that might just further complicate things. I'm only suggesting this because I'm too lazy to make business cards for my services, but you might have them (or make them just for this), in which case more power to you!

If you live with your parents and they are paying the bills, I suppose you could always send a copy of your mom or dad's business card. Of course, then PayPal might ask for age verification, because they might think you're a dependent still living with your parents, and that might just further complicate things. I'm only suggesting this because I'm too lazy to make business cards for my services, but you might have them (or make them just for this), in which case more power to you!
    Well, my ID does prove my age.

This brings back a memory of one time in which I wanted to purchase academic software (specifically, one of the Adobe suites; I think it was called the "Digital Collection": Photoshop 7.0, Illustrator 10.0, Premiere 6.0, and After Effects 5.5). I didn't have the proof of ID they asked for in a format that could be faxed, so I simply made in MS Paint a copy of an ID I used when I was working at a television station.

EDIT: Oops, Mikey, I forgot you had to include an ID, as well.

do u have a checking account? if so see if u can get a debt card. Paypal accpects it as a cc.

do u have a checking account? if so see if u can get a debt card. Paypal accpects it as a cc.
    Only savings. But, when i added a checking account, it let me go through just fine.

I'm kinda worried about being marked as a fraudster though. I'll probably avoid doing that.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    Only savings. But, when i added a checking account, it let me go through just fine.

I'm kinda worried about being marked as a fraudster though. I'll probably avoid doing that.
    No worries. I entered my savings account, as well, and had absolutely no problems. They both have similar methods (if not the same ones) of transferring and managing funds; I'm not exactly sure why PayPal said you could only add a checking account, at least as I last remember.