Thread: Legal Stuff

Legal Stuff

Im just starting out and im not sure about the legal stuff.

Do you have to be any age (legal wise) to start up web hosting?

Do you NEED to pay tax? And how does that work?

>Do you have to be any age (legal wise) to start up web hosting?

Usually 18 or 21 depending on the country you live in.

>Do you NEED to pay tax?

Yes, of course ! At least unless you live in Monaco...

>And how does that work?

You should contact an accountant. Anything else can get you into trouble.

Thats me out then.

I believe one can start a web hosting business at any age, some excellent hosts have evolved from people that started them at 15 or so.

I highly recommend you consult with a lawyer, and an accountant or your local tax authority though, as many countries do not accept any sort of contractual agreement between clients and under-age entrepreneurs, and you may find that your parents or guardians become financially responsible for any liens or fines or indeed taxes you may accrue as part of a 'family unit', and may also be responsible for any costs resulting from legal proceedings.

If your parents agree you can be younger than 18 in many countries.

Well I turn 16 in Augest.
    I never reaslised that setting a web hosting site up was so difficult.
    But is it worth it? I no most people wont make a geat deal of money, but im not really interested in that.
    Maybe it would just be easier to team up with someone.

Whether its worth or not it all depends upon how much time you're giving to it, your involvement, and proper planning for its promotions.

However, if you're going to team up with good person who are technically and business savvy both, it will be much easier you to set up all thing nicely in proper manner.

Honestly, when I was like 15 or 16 I did already do online business but I really wouldn`t have been able to operate a hosting business. First: You may still go to school or anything like that - do you have the time to support your customers and administrate your servers ? And especially most adult people don`t know what a contract is so do you know ? I mean are you aware of the fact that badly written terms can cost you a fortune. For example if you have no proper TOS and a customer`s site goes down then your customer can sue you for any damages caused. If he loses 100 bucks you are going to pay 100 bucks. If he loses 10.000 bucks you are going to pay 10.000 bucks and so on. You can`t just copy someone else's terms and think you are safe. You should really go to a lawyer unless you have some serious knowledge about contracts and liability and stuff. Most people don`t even know what a contract is. They think only if you sign a piece of paper you have a contract and stuff which is not right, of course. The legal stuff is real tricky but you also need to be able to communicate. You need to know how and where to register a business, how to pay taxes, how to administrate a server, how to support your clients, how to keep cool if a client turns freaky. And once you know how to deal with all that stuff you still need to be a business man able to design offers that are attractive and to advertise them properly and how to compete against more than 50.000 competitors. If you just want to host a few friends you should be ok but be very careful when getting into real business. Seriously, the hosting business is not an easy business.

For TOS & Privacy Policies etc... www.hostleagal.com is a good place, so that wasn't really going to be a problem.
    I havn't a clue about the taxes which has put me right off it, so teaming up with someone would be a better way.
    I have a VPS at the moment and am still learning everything.
    At the moment I have a free hosting site, so I do know quite a bit about hosting & offering support...

Originally posted by Ericsson
    Well I turn 16 in Augest.
    I never reaslised that setting a web hosting site up was so difficult.
    But is it worth it? I no most people wont make a geat deal of money, but im not really interested in that.
    Maybe it would just be easier to team up with someone.
    First, I admire your ambition at 16. By all means if you feel you can keep up with it, go for it but maybe web design or custom applications would be better for you?

Thanks ndndixie
    Maybe someone time in the future I will start one by myself.
    But like I said I'll try and teamup...I better stat searching