Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Crazy Americans

ok so the topic might be a generalisation, but once you've read this link i think you'll agree

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4689459.stm
    An 11-year-old girl who threw a stone at a group of boys pelting her with water balloons is being prosecuted on serious assault charges in California.
    Maribel Cuevas was arrested in April in a police operation which involved three police cars and a helicopter.

She has since spent five days in detention, in which she was granted one 30 minute visit by her parents, and has spent month under house arrest

Her lawyer accuses the authorities of criminalising childhood behaviour.

"They're treating her like a violent parole offender," Richard Beshwate said. "It's not a felony, it's an 11-year-old acting like an 11-year-old."
    a great use of your tax dollars, gee i'll bet she'll never retaliate against an attacker ever again. call me a cynic but if she was an english speaking white american i bet it would've been classed as childhood behaviour.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

If there was a helicopter involved, it sounds to me like she seriously injured one of the kids she threw the rock at..... It seems to me that BBC isn't telling the entire story, because if it was just some girl defending herself then there wouldn't have been that big of a retaliation from the police.

no, other news sites point out that because of the area it took place in the police expected an all out gang war.

funny how they didn't think to take a spanish speaking officer with them though.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

As always, there is more to the story than just what you hear. Police officers cannot just make decisions on their own, they need their superiors to make the official "OK", and if the Chief of Police felt this was the correct course, then this was the correct course. We don't know much of how of what really happened.

Just because he says he started, doesn't mean that she should get off hands free. We just do not know the entire story.

As far as tax dollars go, if I could, I'd give all the money I could to Law Enforcement Officials, Fire Rescue Men and Women and everyone else who, everday, puts their life on the line for me and my family. Yea, sometimes it may look they are wasting our tax payers money, but I know that if I need their help, they'll be here to help me. They'll be here to protect and serve.

I stand behind them fully.

This thread title would NEVER be tolerated about others ... What if I said "Crazy Muslims" and then pointed out all the suicide bombers out there ... I wouldn't do that because it would be wrong to make such a generalization.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Originally posted by Rob83
    As far as tax dollars go, if I could, I'd give all the money I could to Law Enforcement Officials <snipped the waving of the red, white and blue.. hero.. err.. BS etc> They'll be here to protect and serve.

I stand behind them fully.
    Actually I'd rather see it go into heathcare and education, rather than the overt rubbish law enforcement that's occuring every day in this country.

If these people wear a badge it seems they're beyond question nowdays. The 'Hero' tag is thrown around so much lately it's lost all meaning.

Accountability!

The kid was being pelted with water balloons, and reacted - good for her. Her last name sounds like something on a Taco Bell menu and the 'hero' cops roll out like oranges and nab her - an 11 year old.

Come on. I'm more of a 'white bread', 'cracker'* than most people who post on this forum, and I find this kind of thing disgusting.

* Heritage: New Zealand born with, English, Irish, Scottish Grandparents.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    Actually I'd rather see it go into heathcare and education, rather than the overt rubbish law enforcement that's occuring every day in this country.
    The U.S. could start by stop providing free healthcare to illegal immigrants -- but that would never happen.

I didnt even think they could arrest 11 year olds, but obviously you can. Up here in Canada we all have Health care, America should do the same. We can actually go to the doctor whenever we want and walk out with cash in our pockets.

Originally posted by Sting13
    I didnt even think they could arrest 11 year olds, but obviously you can. Up here in Canada we all have Health care, America should do the same. We can actually go to the doctor whenever we want and walk out with cash in our pockets.
    I noticed you said that in another thread. You have to take into consideration the size of both countries. America's Population as of July 2005 is 295 Million, Canada has 32 Million. I'm sure the quality of healthcare for both countries are different in all aspects. It would be much more expensive for the U.S. to provide healthcare like Canada does. If I'm not mistaken, Canadians also pay higher taxes that include the medical expenses covered for them.

Originally posted by Sting13
    Same in the UK. I really do believe that public healthcare is an extremely important aspect of a developed society. You shouldn't HAVE to have an abundance of medical insurance just in case you have an accident!

I agree with the police using the resources that they did IF it was as stated previously in an area known for gang problems. If they sent in 1 or 2 officers who then got shot at, and the girl was hit in the cross-fire, then everyone would be complaining about how they didn't protect a young girl.

Police officers cannot just make decisions on their own, they need their superiors to make the official "OK", and if the Chief of Police felt this was the correct course, then this was the correct course. We don't know much of how of what really happened.

Oh well if the chief of police says its the correct course of action it must be musnt it, Because as we all know they never get anything wrong and are omnipotent.

Your blind faith in the abilitys of one man is overwhelming and a little misplaced perhaps.....

Angry Police/Prosecutor pursue felony assault against 11 year old who threw stone

An 11-year-old girl who threw a stone at a group of boys pelting her with water balloons is being prosecuted on serious assault charges in California.

Maribel Cuevas was arrested in April in a police operation which involved three police cars and a helicopter.

She has since spent five days in detention, in which she was granted one 30 minute visit by her parents, and has spent a month under house arrest.

Her lawyer accuses the authorities of criminalising childhood behaviour.

"They're treating her like a violent parole offender," Richard Beshwate said. "It's not a felony, it's an 11-year-old acting like an 11-year-old."

The girl is due back in court at the beginning of next month.

Police say they had to investigate as the boy who was hit by the stone she threw suffered a deep gash to his head and needed hospital treatment.

He has reportedly acknowledged to officers that he started the fight in late April.

'Obligation'

The confrontation happened in a poor district of Fresno, in central California, where Maribel Cuevas lives with her Spanish-speaking family.

The girl, who speaks little English, has admitted throwing a stone at a group of boys she says were pestering her with water balloons as she walked down the street.

An ambulance was called, but arrived flanked by three police patrol vehicles. A helicopter meanwhile hovered overhead.

The 11-year-old was then read her rights twice in English before being detained.

"We responded. We determined a felony assault had taken place and the officers took the actions that were necessary," said Fresno Police Sergeant Anthony Martinez.

Another police officer told ABC News that the girl, when asked what she thought would happen if she threw the stone, replied that it would make him "bleed".
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4689459.stm

They needed three police cars and a helicopter for a stone throwing incident?
    Last edited by RossH; 07-17-2005 at 01:58 PM.

I can't believe this story. The judicial system has reached a new low.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

Originally posted by LociasInc
    I can't believe this story. The judicial system has reached a new low.
    My sentiments exactly....

Blind faith in any one entity is foolish. I'm surprised history still hasn't taught those who instill such that lesson.

I noticed you said that in another thread. You have to take into consideration the size of both countries. America's Population as of July 2005 is 295 Million, Canada has 32 Million. I'm sure the quality of healthcare for both countries are different in all aspects. It would be much more expensive for the U.S. to provide healthcare like Canada does. If I'm not mistaken, Canadians also pay higher taxes that include the medical expenses covered for them.
    Actually if I remember correctly Canadians pay lower taxes then Americans. Correct me if I'm wrong but they pay a flat %19 income tax? I pay around %25, now you also have to take into account that in America we tax everything you buy. Cell phone, home phone, cars, food, beer, etc. etc. etc.

Originally posted by RossH
    . . . now you also have to take into account that in America we tax everything you buy. Cell phone, home phone, cars, food, beer, etc. etc. etc.
    And Canada doesn't?

*shurg* 11 years old doesn't know any better. We expected children to act as mature and grown up as adult; and, they act like adult by jumping in bed with their partner to do you-know-what. We don't want children to do these things so we should let them be children and punish them ourselve without involving the cops. It is like this children as young as 5 as view as adult enough to be arrested. Treat them like children so that they can be children. Punish them like children so that they can learn from their mistake.

I remember one girl about 12 years old when I was 13, hitting an 8 years old by. The mother of the boy told her not to hit him again. Nobody call the cop.

There is another article on this. It make me wonder what happened to the boys that threw water bag at her... Did they get charge, too?

Actually if I remember correctly Canadians pay lower taxes then Americans. Correct me if I'm wrong but they pay a flat %19 income tax? I pay around %25, now you also have to take into account that in America we tax everything you buy. Cell phone, home phone, cars, food, beer, etc. etc. etc.
    And in Canada they do too. I know when they buy from the company I work for, they have t pay GST and PST Tax.

Re: Police/Prosecutor pursue felony assault against 11 year old who threw stone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4689459.stm

They needed three police cars and a helicopter for a stone throwing incident?
    People never know what the story is until they arrive on the scene. CA has a very high rate of crimes, and a helicopter is a standard procedure. Maybe not in all parts of the country, but they have their standards and a 'copter is one of them.

Re: Re: Police/Prosecutor pursue felony assault against 11 year old who threw stone

People never know what the story is until they arrive on the scene. CA has a very high rate of crimes, and a helicopter is a standard procedure. Maybe not in all parts of the country, but they have their standards and a 'copter is one of them.
    From where are you getting your facts? Helicopters are not part of "standard procedure." Standard procedure for what? Dealing with 11-year-old girls who are throwing stones? When the police serve a search or arrest warrant in the worst parts of Compton, they don't use helicopters. When the police arrest someone, they [typically] don't use helicopters. Even when the police have a shootout, they often don't use helicopters. Helicopters aren't even good for very much, besides tracking suspects by air (and, subsequently, reporting observations). It's not like they shoot from the air or ram into cars.

Also, says who does California have a "very high" crime rate? It doesn't appear to be any higher than most states.

I like this bit. From the article:
    The 11-year-old was then read her rights twice in English before being detained.
    They'd previously stated that she "speaks almost no English." But apparently, if you read the rights twice in English, it's all good....?

lol @ fog

that is messed up, is it that the boys got nothing in terms of punishment?
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by fog
    They'd previously stated that she "speaks almost no English." But apparently, if you read the rights twice in English, it's all good....?
    Yeah, you know. If someone doesn't speak english all you have to do is speak slowly and real loud like they're deaf, then repeat it a few times and they'll understand it.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast